Sign in to follow this  
PiNs_Da_Smoka

I can see you!

So, i'm sitting here cruising FARK.com, and i stumble upon an interesting link. Check out this doozy of an article. Its about an invisibility cloak. Yes, truly a device which allows to be seen through.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The picture on the coat is made by a viewfinder which puts together the moving images which are behind the wearer. <span id='postcolor'>

I couldn't say exactly what and how that works, but the point is, it works. Could this be some wierd, spacey step into military future? I do ya think it may be restricted to such things, as the article said, to give to surgeons so they can see through their hands and such stuff?

Bloody cool  wow.gif

_38783633_invisible.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The photograph was taken through a viewfinder that uses a combination of moving images taken behind the wearer to give a transparent effect.

<span id='postcolor'>

thats fake for sure.... if it was real, then it would be all around the news! Do you really think the people in the background would just act as if nothing was going on???

The BBC kids news program wouldn't lie.

I beleive that the japanese can make that.

Thats what they're developing with tanks aswell.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 06 2003,15:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The photograph was taken through a <span style='color:red'>viewfinder</span> that uses a combination of moving images <span style='color:red'>taken behind the wearer</span> to give a transparent effect.

<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Look closely

Ok ok, it looks great, I don't see this becoming an actual "cloaking device".

Please refrain from using profanity in thread titles smile.gif

So it's not really making anyone "Invisible". Just putting images onto the front of whats behind them. Still pretty cool tho wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Feb. 06 2003,23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please refrain from using profanity in thread titles smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Forum Wars: The Placebo Strikes Back

smile.gif

its so simple to make a bloody cloaking device all u get need to do is make a flexible tft,lcd screen etc and have miniture camera or elemnts of a camera built into the screen then u have a sort of cloaking effect the other would be to bend any light particles around u ffs !! another one of the ideas i`ve thought of being done elsewhere, i wonder if theres some sort of higher lifeform whos sole job is to piss me off as much as possible crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Feb. 07 2003,01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">its so simple to make a bloody cloaking device all u get need to do is make a flexible tft,lcd screen etc and have miniture camera or elemnts of a camera built into the screen then u have a sort of cloaking effect the other would be to bend any light particles around u ffs !! another one of the ideas i`ve thought of being done elsewhere, i wonder if theres some sort of higher lifeform whos sole job is to piss me off as much as possible  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No dout someone is trying to make that work right now. But it'd be bloody hard to display exactly the right image across all parts of the display at once.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This should help people like surgeons who would like to be able to see through their hands when they are operating.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey... I could use some invisible hands too, for when I'm operating. beat.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Feb. 07 2003,01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey... I could use some invisible hands too, for when I'm operating. beat.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL

And wtf is Showaddywaddy!? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Feb. 07 2003,01:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And wtf is Showaddywaddy!? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ROFL biggrin.gif

the question is, is that cloaking effective?

if you have a camera that is behind an object and grabs the image and projects to itself, will the camera be able to grab images from all angles of the back? and be able to project it accordingly?

in picture, the guy is holding his arm up, and images behind him are projected. however, if you see the guy from 60 degrees to the right, the image won't be so much of "cloak"

Exactly as Ralph points out the problem is how to get it to work from all angles. I know for optical tank camo they use a diffractive piezo crystal with a higly segmented lattice. It makes it possible to have multiple angles for each point. Each such point contains a micro camera and some form of crystal emitter (similar to an LCD crystal, I would think).

All that stuff sounds pretty delicate- and besides, what effect would this kind of cloaking have on infrared spectrums of vision? Because that is what most tankers (at least in the US) rely on in general for target detection.

Metal Gear Solid anyone?

lol imagine the invisible japanese army, invisible tanks, choppers etc... every enemy soldiers will have to carry IR goggles to see the japanese army

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Feb. 07 2003,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Metal Gear Solid anyone?

lol imagine the invisible japanese army, invisible tanks, choppers etc... every enemy soldiers will have to carry IR goggles to see the japanese army<span id='postcolor'>

You mean the Japanese Self-Defense Force?

i wouldn't say it's a cloaking device. but this can be considered as a new way of camoflage for SF who operate in jungle or woods. smile.gif

It might work well for large navy ships that would merely have to display a likeness to sea meeting sky and would not be so directionally sensitive.

Don't Exocet-like missiles operate using visual references?

Think of normal clothes -lots of crinkles. Nearly impossible to detect what LED-part has to show what mikro camera input...

Better: solid surfaces like tank armour.

Best: 360°-cameras + 360°-projectors; that creates a holographic sphere around you; doesn't depend on object surface direction.

Problem: projector not yet available. (Physicists, think of remote creation of photons. But you have to bypass Heisenberg! ;-))

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ Feb. 07 2003,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(Physicists, think of remote creation of photons. But you have to bypass Heisenberg! ;-))<span id='postcolor'>

Can i just remind you that you're in an OFP forum? tounge.gif

My clothes allready reflect my environment. I am Mr. stain and after a busy day you can trace back from my clothes where I have been. People used to make fun of me because I always got stains on my suit right on the day it came out of dry cleaning. Of course my clothes adapt to all the countries I have been to. In switzerland I got mainly chocolate and racelette stains and In asia I mainly had stains from soya sauce. Now in Malta I guess it is green spots from seaweed and oil from repairing my car (shitty roads)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Feb. 07 2003,22:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ Feb. 07 2003,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(Physicists, think of remote creation of photons. But you have to bypass Heisenberg! ;-))<span id='postcolor'>

Can i just remind you that you're in an OFP forum? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, let's continue with stuff like that... something's off-off-topic -> it's finally on-topic?

(Yes, I know I shall not use no double negations)