Rydygier

[TUTORIAL, PL/EN] SQF scripting for absolute beginners

One day I decided to test my... "teaching skills" (not sure, if I have any though, beware...) and created a scripting tutorial for absolute beginners. There are some good sources in English, but seems hard to find something like that in Polish, hence Polish and English editions. Here it is:

Polish: https://skryptysqf.blogspot.com

English: https://sqfscripts.blogspot.com

It's short, 4 chapters, still I tried to cover important basics of scripting craft (my way of practicing it at least).

The main goal is to lower as much, as possible the entry treshold for those, who want to begin the adventure with Arma scripting, but have no clue, how to. Therefore this tutorial tries to provide also informations usually omitted, assumed as known/obvious. From my experience - nothing is obvious at the start, such assumptions, as I recall, was pobably the biggest obstacle for me. It is written from non-programmer perspective, without any programming experience assumed in the audience (I hope). 

Chapter 1 (PL/EN) explains preliminary topics like the role of the scripts in general, the sources of them, the basic way to use them in the game.

Chapter 2 (PL/EN) focuses on the learning metodology, knowledge sources, basic terms and concepts required during the work.

Chapter 3 (PL/EN) describes in detail a complete process of writing working SQF script example, from the bare concept description through the algorithm synopsis, collecting required commands, line-by-line walkthrough, syntax pitfalls... to the trial run footage. 

Chapter 4 (PL/EN) is all about the art of debugging (how I do it). 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Added English* version.

*my language skills are limited, so numerous grammar errors etc. expected. 

Any language corrections feedback highly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much. I just moved 1250 miles from my old home. Will review when I’m able.

I'd like to read the English version but the link is sending me to this page...

Spoiler

cDQsh3c.png

🙁

Ah, sorry, one moment, forgot to make it public... 

:face_palm:

...try now.

Much better, thanks! 

@Rydygier 

Any chance to get this the EN version in a word kind of format that can be printed out ?

Since there's no version other, than online, I can do only manual copy&paste stuff into the Word file - rather crude. But, IIRC, one should be able to print also from the web browser?

Just now, Rydygier said:

Since there's no version other, than online, I can do only  manual copy&paste stuff into the Word file. But, IIRC, one should be able to print also from the web browser?

thanks for the reply, will try to work something out.

In case, you would like to cope with the crude way, here are Word-ized pages, looking bad, formatting obviously broken all over the place, but readable (third page looks particularly ugly). Links doesn't work. Anything more would require too much time right now, maybe in the future I'll try to make something in the printable files format and less messy...

SQF tut docX