Sign in to follow this  
Akira

How the apache works

i have apache on my linux machine, hosted a web site with all my music, it was too much for my 128k connection on adsl and all the hoards of guys on my irc channel i gave the address to, i turned it off tounge.gif

Interesting,

but I've read it before. Anyone who have read the Jane's Longbow 1 and 2 usermanuals know all the stuff "howstuffworks" posted wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The trailing edge of each blade is covered with a sturdy graphite composite material, while the leading edge is made of titanium. The titanium is strong enough to withstand brushes with trees and other minor obstacles<span id='postcolor'>So you really can fly'em into trees.  wow.gif

I always thought that was an OFP software glitch. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 21 2003,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The trailing edge of each blade is covered with a sturdy graphite composite material, while the leading edge is made of titanium. The titanium is strong enough to withstand brushes with trees and other minor obstacles<span id='postcolor'>So you really can fly'em into trees.  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

........... and shave with them. Sounds just like my Lady Norelco! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 21 2003,10:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The trailing edge of each blade is covered with a sturdy graphite composite material, while the leading edge is made of titanium. The titanium is strong enough to withstand brushes with trees and other minor obstacles<span id='postcolor'>So you really can fly'em into trees.  wow.gif

I always thought that was an OFP software glitch.  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No chopper can cut down trees with their rotorblades without suffering damage, but the Apache is designed to handle it alot better than most choppers. wink.gif

A tree is not a minor obstacle btw smile.gif

if you hit a tree with your rotor at a rate of knots your rotor would stop spinning and you would hit the floor biggrin.gif

Actually, the Huey is able to chop through smallish trees with it's rotor blades. (See Chickenhawk by Robert Mason) While not recommended, it is possible.

I always look back fondly on my Longbow 1 days. I loved the voice of the instructor in the training missions. I've never felt so foolish as I did when making a mistake and being chewed out by that nasal US voice. Hooyah.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Combined together, they make up an unbelievable fighting machine -- the most lethal helicopter ever created. <span id='postcolor'>

Balls.

Ka 52 Hokum - Now thats the best attack chopper around. Designed to take down other attack helicoptors, dual rotor system, and ejector seats!

The Apache is a nice chopper, but they are terrible to maintain in the field. If you forward deploy the bastards, they fall apart without loving care!

Warning, tree-hugging hippies provokable reply:

Or you could use the 30mm machinegun to mow down the trees.

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Jan. 22 2003,00:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Combined together, they make up an unbelievable fighting machine -- the most lethal helicopter ever created. <span id='postcolor'>

Balls.

Ka 52 Hokum - Now thats the best attack chopper around.  Designed to take down other attack helicoptors, dual rotor system, and ejector seats!

The Apache is a nice chopper, but they are terrible to maintain in the field. If you forward deploy the bastards, they fall apart without loving care!<span id='postcolor'>

You wanna take this outside, pinko?

tounge.gif

I hate going up against other helicopters in OFP. I have to maneuver the helicopter to aim the gun, its quite annoying because I'll be doing -50 knots and missing him while he's somehow nailing me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.....and the blue prints of the apache are here<span id='postcolor'>

....if only confused.gifbiggrin.gif

Badgerboy: don't drive this topic off topic

Besides, we all know the Apache got a long and impressive combat-record and the Ka50/52 has pretty much nothing.

Aaron Kane: no name calling, please

Back on topic :

Sometime ago I found the user-manual and maintenance manual for the AH-64, but I accidentaly lost them. Do anyone know where I can find those PDF's ?

If I remember correctly they were 26 and 30 MB large

While we are on the topic of helis. Could someone find something on the blackhawk. I am recently interested in it because of a book i recently read on an ex-delta force operator breifly describing a mission with the blackhawk (not black hawk down).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Jan. 22 2003,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FAS<span id='postcolor'>

No, the manuals ain't there.

They were 2 PDFs at around 30MB each (extremely detailed, approx 800-900 pages including some blank pages (classified info))

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Jan. 22 2003,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Combined together, they make up an unbelievable fighting machine -- the most lethal helicopter ever created. <span id='postcolor'>

Balls.

Ka 52 Hokum - Now thats the best attack chopper around.  Designed to take down other attack helicoptors, dual rotor system, and ejector seats!

The Apache is a nice chopper, but they are terrible to maintain in the field. If you forward deploy the bastards, they fall apart without loving care!<span id='postcolor'>

Right on! biggrin.gif

The Apache is ONE of the most lethal helicopters in the world.

Even the Mi-24 Hind E has a comparable amount of firepower to the AH-64D, plus it has massive armor and a cargo hold. Not as advanced imaging systems and overall electronics, tough.

Technically, the not-yet-fielded RAH-66 Comanche scout/light attack chopper is the most advanced helicopter around, but the Apache is a heavy attack chopper that has more firepower. And the Ka-52 has twin rotors and ejector seats.

So there´s no clear winner smile.gif