Sign in to follow this  
Akira

How the apache works

Guys, back in the day there were countless arguments about whose combat equipment was better. F22 vs Su37, M1A2 vs T80U, RAH66 vs KA52. And not once did anyone EVER change their mind on what they felt was the best vehicle. All that happened was flame wars, name calling, and other childish behavior. So lets just drop this helicopter argument before it gets started.

which makes things interesting tounge.gif

I once read that some helicopters have little spikes above and below the cockpit so if a chopper was to be doing some low level flight and ran into some electrical wires the small spikes were designed to cut the cable so the helicopter didnt get tangled.it looks like the apache doesn`t have such devices on it from the pictures.

I wonder what it would be like if instead of having cargo space in the hind u stuck loads of ammo and had about 6 minguns mounted in it biggrin.giftounge.gif

ps, i hate flying choppers in ofp becuase whenever i use my wingman digital 3d joystick the rudders magicly disable themselves so i have to use keys adn cant do all the funky hit in a chopper mad.gif however its not bad for planes though.

Guest BratZ

Sorry to bear sorta off topic but was mentioned about ejection seats...It just sounds so funny to hear that at first when talking choppers as they must flip you out sideways...any info on that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry to bear sorta off topic but was mentioned about ejection seats...It just sounds so funny to hear that at first when talking choppers as they must flip you out sideways...any info on that?<span id='postcolor'>

I've seen something about ejection seats for choppers. First they shoot off the rotors and then eject the pilots. It was mentioned that such a device wasn't really reliable though. But that's what they've said.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Jan. 22 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And the Ka-52 has twin rotors and ejector seats.<span id='postcolor'>

Can someone please give me a link or info about just how exactly these work? They shoot them out the side? Seems down would be the bad way to go...

If I'm not mistaken, a small explosive charge blows the rotors off the helicopter. Then VERY shortly after, the ejection seat launches the pilot and copilot upwards.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Jan. 23 2003,02:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I'm not mistaken, a small explosive charge blows the rotors off the helicopter. Then VERY shortly after, the ejection seat launches the pilot and copilot upwards.<span id='postcolor'>

Huh...

Has this been tested? Presumably they blow the rotors one way and the pilots another...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Jan. 23 2003,01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Jan. 22 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And the Ka-52 has twin rotors and ejector seats.<span id='postcolor'>

Can someone please give me a link or info about just how exactly these work? They shoot them out the side? Seems down would be the bad way to go...<span id='postcolor'>

The only example i know of is in Goldeneye (james bond). Rent it and see it for yourself. The cockpit is a capsule which gets fired off like in some high velocity planes (f-111).

It's like Aaron Kane and Second_draw says: each blade is blown off by a small charge, then the cockpit is ejected with mounted parachutes.

Back to the topic, please smile.gif

Thought I would just slide this in quickly so people can sleep at night.

"Ka-52 Hokum B "Alligator"

"...Another unusual feature of this helicopter is the "Pilot Rescue" capability by way of the K-37-800 ejection seat which was first fitted to the Ka-50 (the first helicopter in the world to be fitted with an ejector seat). Once the ejection handle has been pulled, a very carefully timed series of events take place. First, explosive charges in the rotor blade roots are detonated resulting in the separation of all 6 blades (this is potentially dangerous for any nearby onlookers). Both cockpit canopies are ejected sideways then the towing rocket on both ejection seats fire in low-thrust mode. When the towing-line is pulled taught the rocket increases thrust pulling the seat up on its mounting rails and out of the helicopter. After the rocket burn, the seat falls away and a cute is deployed. This ejection can be performed throughout the entire flight envelope including inverted flight (given a minimum altitude of 90 meters). Should a pilot eject over water, the seat is also fitted with survival pack and life raft. A survival beacon is activated automatically on ejection..."

Even inverted! Neat!

The article over exaggerated the Apache's capabilities but that's not suprising as it is American.

Yeah the KA-50 is cool, it could be useful to have on some of our helicopters as well. Or we could just buy them off the Russians.

Trees are not good for any helicopter, true they can withstand them but are you as a pilot with the responsibility of 12 lives and an Å50 million Super Puma going to take the risk that the trees are small enough to cut through? No you are not. Plus trees can hide obstacles that can definitely fuck you over - like birds. lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 23 2003,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Back to the topic, please smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

AH 64 Manual

There ya go. On topic, and just what you asked for, Mr Shadow.