avibird 1

Trigger Type - Skip waypoint not working with spawned units. Why and help.

This trigger type works fine with editor placed units however it will not work with units that spawn in. Is this a bug or is this the way it was designed to only be with editor place units. Any suggestions for a workaround. Thanks avibird.

It's a really nice way to call in reinforcements using the trigger expression condition !alive 

@avibird 1,

From wiki,

Ceeeb

"Note that a waypoints number as seen in the mission editor is not the same as it's waypoint number using this command. In the mission editor, waypoint 0 refers to the first placed waypoint, whereas waypoint 0 with the setCurrentWaypoint command refers to the unit's initial position waypoint."

Check this isn't the problem.

Also, how are you connecting the spawned WP to the Trigger?

@wogz187 I use the waypoint fine with editor placed units. Works as designed all good but if I try to use it with spawned in units it will not work. I use Jebus for most of my spawned in units. The waypoint will not hold position for the !alive trigger. Just moves to all it's waypoints. It works with editor placed units fine.

@avibird 1,

I must insist, how are you connecting the spawned WP to the Trigger?

Please paste the script so we can see.

@wogz187 you are not familiar with JEBUS @dreadpirate  it really should be a module in arma4. Jebus also has GAIA Incorporated within the script that handles random patrols and reinforcements within a mission.

• Haha 1

Difficult to help more in this case. We don't even know if !alive is applied on spawned units... Without any more details about codes/reproducible scenario, the problem can hide anywhere. Just my 2 cents, I don't have any time to check Jebus + Gaia + your own mission. Sorry.

• Sad 1

@avibird 1,

script that handles random patrols and reinforcements within a mission

So your OP should have read, "I'm using the JEBUS script to spawn units but can't get the skip-waypoint trigger type to advance their path. Any help?"

you are not familiar with JEBUS

That sounds like an invitation to join a cult-- I love it! Hilarious. I literally laughed out loud.

Maybe ask @dreadpirate.

I'm still super-curious how you've connected your spawned WP to the skip waypoint trigger.

• Haha 1

@pierremgi the !alive is for a editor placed unit when that unit gets killed the units setup with the skip waypoint gets activated and the mechanized units move into a town.

Now the mechanized units get spawned in using jebus and the first waypoint is syn to a trigger using the skip waypoint. When the unit with the !alive trigger is killed the mechanized units move to it's second waypoint that has a code that will give the unit to GAIA and the units now will move into the town using generated waypoints by GAIA.

It works fine if I use a editor place mechanized units and not one that is spawned in.  It may be a jebus think or a trigger issues using spawned in units.

I guess my question should be has anyone used the trigger skip waypoint type with spawned in units?

@avibird 1,

I guess my question should be has anyone used the trigger skip waypoint type with spawned in units?

I'd be happy to try if you would, for the love of JEBUS already, just tell me how you're attempting to connect spawned waypoints to the skip waypoint trigger!

Like this?

trigger_name synchronizeTrigger [waypoint_name];

I'm pretty sure what you're asking for is setCurrentWaypoint.

You know we can debug from the debug console in the pause menu, right? You could demystify with something like,

someinfo=waypoints mech_group;
systemChat format ["%1", someinfo];

and then you're not guessing what is happening.

• Like 1

Anyway, if you spawn units, you can make them join an existing leader (edited or not), so they will follow his waypoints (if any).

If you don't want to join an existing leader, you need to write your waypoints with the waypoint commands like addWaypoint... (see BIKI).

I guess you are using Jebus and Gaia for that and you probably encounter some problems due to these codes. You should ask their authors.

For checking some waypoint feature, enable the console and watch for waypoints yourGroup apply {[_x, waypointType _x]}

Note: I never used the skip waypoint, totally useless as far as you can deleteWaypoint with a little code:

waitUntil {someCondition before the waypoint is reached (check currentWaypoint)};

deleteWaypoint theWaypoint.

• Like 1

@pierremgi why is it useless it has all the code for it and you don't have to write a line. Just place down and syn with a waypoint and it's done. 

Join in is a great suggestion but one of the reasons to use Jebus is because the unit/group of units will respawn to a set number of times or if trigger is met the group will stop respawning. I usually have them stop responding if a certain thing is destroyed like a  radio tower or a particular area is reached. So the join in will not work because of the leader gets killed and the whole group is killed the new group that gets respawned will have no waypoints to follow and not be assigned to gaia. 

Gaia is a very good random waypoint generator within a zone for patrols and oversee all units under her control as a overwatch to send reinforcements to an active area with in the mission.

I guess I like to see things on the map when designing a mission and I am notb the most knowledgeable when it comes to writing code lines from scratch.