Sign in to follow this  
Chill

Black hawk down single player

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Jan. 06 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 05 2003,04wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The SP demo is pretty fun, I liked it way more than the MP demo. It's still got that Novalogic gayness (AI stupidity- especially your buddies), and the clumsiness of the engine: inside, the framerate goes to hell unless you dial your resolution way back.<span id='postcolor'>

well at least the ai "attempts" to shoot at you from more than 3 feet away. Its an improvement oveer previous ones.<span id='postcolor'>

These are Delta soldiers, right? Best of the best that Uncle Sam has to offer and all that, right? Imagine my surprise when I see these crack troops shooting at the ground in front of a tango that was 8 feet away for 30 seconds ( wow.gif ). The only reason they survived is that the tango was just as dumb.

This SP demo is entertaining , i have some fun playing a mission that has some similarities with one of the scene in the Black Hawk Down movie.

The atmosphere is very good and can be immersive at some points , even if this mission is very short in time , there is lot of actions.

But after completing this mission several times, the demo is uninstalled.

The AI is very very improved in comparison with the DF serie retarded AI , but it needs a lot more works to compete with excellent AI like OFP one.

I think the very bad aim (the same accuracy as the somalian rebels) your delta teammates have is coded on purpose by novalogic , because they want you to do the job in a middle of firefights and not just sit there watching the squad clearing the place .

Unrealistic (in OFP i already played some missions by hiding under a brush and let the squad make the job , it was in the time i just bought OFP wink.gif ) , but DF:BHD has not the realism as its main goal , just the player fun like in an arcade game.

That is why you can find some medic box to resplenish your life in some places of the map too smile.gif

A good improvement , but not what i hoped about the AI.

Personnally i will wait the "real and tweaked" demo before thinking to buy the game , the missions seem immersive if they are on the same base as the one in the demo but there are some works needed.

Actually i have to set too much video options down to play without bad framerates and DF/BHD is not as beautifull as other game smooth on my system.

I hope novalogic does not lie about the tweaks on the AI (and on the engine) on the real SP demo  .....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 05 2003,04:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Jan. 06 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 05 2003,04wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The SP demo is pretty fun, I liked it way more than the MP demo. It's still got that Novalogic gayness (AI stupidity- especially your buddies), and the clumsiness of the engine: inside, the framerate goes to hell unless you dial your resolution way back.<span id='postcolor'>

well at least the ai "attempts" to shoot at you from more than 3 feet away. Its an improvement oveer previous ones.<span id='postcolor'>

These are Delta soldiers, right? Best of the best that Uncle Sam has to offer and all that, right? Imagine my surprise when I see these crack troops shooting at the ground in front of a tango that was 8 feet away for 30 seconds ( <!--emo&wow.gif ). The only reason they survived is that the tango was just as dumb.<span id='postcolor'>

true tex. But im just saying that its a little better than LW ai.

Also another thing you might want to turn down is water... Because I see no water in that map.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 06 2003,01:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Jan. 06 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 05 2003,04wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The SP demo is pretty fun, I liked it way more than the MP demo. It's still got that Novalogic gayness (AI stupidity- especially your buddies), and the clumsiness of the engine: inside, the framerate goes to hell unless you dial your resolution way back.<span id='postcolor'>

These are Delta soldiers, right? Best of the best that Uncle Sam has to offer and all that, right? Imagine my surprise when I see these crack troops shooting at the ground in front of a tango that was 8 feet away for 30 seconds ( <!--emo&wow.gif ). The only reason they survived is that the tango was just as dumb.<span id='postcolor'>

Funny to say this but I prefer games such as OFP where you play an "ordinary" soldier with an "ordinary" gun. I can rather identify myself with an average soldier than with a Delta-Duke-Nukem overperformer.

Still, the sounds in the game are great, the sniper capabilities in multiplayer are better than in any other game I played so far. No bunnyjumper is gonna survive if he is rushing into battle without advancing from cover to cover.

That's another thing that will bring be back to OFP. It's like a real war. You're not going bouncing anywhere. You can only take down a whole squad if you get them by surprise.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 06 2003,03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's another thing that will bring be back to OFP.  It's like a real war.  You're not going bouncing anywhere.  You can only take down a whole squad if you get them by surprise.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, in OFP I feel like a new young recruit (which I would be in a real life scenario).

I love the first mission where you got to learn that you are not the hero of the battlefield. The first mission basically tells you to keep in the back and keep your head low in the mud otherwise you die. Isnt that pure realism? smile.gif

Thats why I didn't like any of the special ops missions. I hated stealthing around the place, taking down an entire enemy squad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 06 2003,04:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats why I didn't like any of the special ops missions.  I hated stealthing around the place, taking down an entire enemy squad.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah yeah yeah!!! biggrin.gif I hated those missions as well. The great thing about the first mission in OFP was that you can even succeed if you dont shoot anyone. I loved this first feeling that you hate your shitty M16 and that you dont hit shit with it!

I am sure Codemasters got this message and I bet they gonna reward us in their next game. smile.gif

I think it's pretty fun, but i've got some gripes:

-The AI are VERY stupid, sometimes they don't shoot at me, they just try to crawl and stay out of sight when they are right infront of me. smile.gif

-There are no savegames!!! WTF were they thinking making long levels and if you die than you have to start all over again. mad.gif

-cars blow up when you fire 5 rounds into them. biggrin.gif

-low framerate and the graphics isn't all that great.

-no tactical feeling.

Besides that it does have that "Somalia" feeling to it, and the city looks pretty good. It's pretty good for a demo, hopefully they get things fixed soon. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Jan. 06 2003,04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's pretty fun, but i've got some gripes:

-The AI are VERY stupid, sometimes they don't shoot at me, they just try to crawl and stay out of sight when they are right infront of me. smile.gif

-There are no savegames!!! WTF were they thinking making long levels and if you die than you have to start all over again.  mad.gif

-cars blow up when you fire 5 rounds into them. biggrin.gif

-low framerate and the graphics isn't all that great.

-no tactical feeling.

Besides that it does have that "Somalia" feeling to it, and the city looks pretty good. It's pretty good for a demo, hopefully they get things fixed soon. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Again YEAH! tounge.gif I noticed that I can beat best OFP if I behave the way I am not supposed to. If I go into close combat noone of the AI can beat me.

Savegames? I simply kept the explorer open and I deleted the savegamefile whenever I wanted to save a new position. So I simply ignored that constraint!

Low framerates? Yeah, that doesnt even change with a great CPU!

I think the low framerate is due to the fact that Novalogic are lazy coders who never bother to optimize their shit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 05 2003,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the low framerate is due to the fact that Novalogic are lazy coders who never bother to optimize their shit.<span id='postcolor'>

Really? That's always been a halmark of NL sim-games that they have great detail with high framerates. The orginal Comanche was completely written in assembly code and ran faster than anything else at the time on a 486. Same for their 'flightsims' they were always fast and pretty, even if they were a little shallow.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Jan. 06 2003,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-There are no savegames!!! WTF were they thinking making long levels and if you die than you have to start all over again. mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Push F5. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 06 2003,06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the low framerate is due to the fact that Novalogic are lazy coders who never bother to optimize their code.<span id='postcolor'>

I would have said that Novalogic are lazy coders who never bother to improve their military simulations. biggrin.gif

Sounds to me like the AI are the same turkies they've had since DF1, when the world once said that any AI enemy is better than none. tounge.gif

From my minimal experince with the MP demo, the graphics seem improved. I generally like the weapons sounds. OFP still has what to learn about buildings and structures.

I still want to see what this game offers as far as terrain capabilities. Personally, ever since Land Warrior, the terrain in NoLogic's games is quite Kojaky. biggrin.gif

kojak.jpg

So what about the pixel problem? Is it still possible to see someone from like 1000m?

it's a problem where u can see a black dot (the soldier) whereever he is even behind concealment

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bordoy @ Jan. 06 2003,21:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it's a problem where u can see a black dot (the soldier) whereever he is even behind concealment<span id='postcolor'>

There was never sucha problem. LW introduced a non-voxel graphics interface that caused someone who, even 1000s of meters away, appeared as a single black pixel. However, that wasn't true if the direct line of site to that player was blocked.

All the graphical errors from the first games have been fixed. Unlike other NL series, this one is being based off of the Commanche 4 engine. This means no jerky terrain, no black dots (It's much harder to see snipers), and DX8 features. However, being based on the Commanche 4 engines your framerate will go up or down depending on the CPU you have. If you compare a GeForce 4 Ti4600 to a RADDEON 9700 Pro on the same spec systems you'll roughly get the same FPS (Possibly .5-1 difference) So, anyone that is having FPS trouble, not much you can do but turn your resolution down.... or upgrade : )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it's a problem where u can see a black dot (the soldier) whereever he is even behind concealment<span id='postcolor'>

There was never sucha problem.<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately , in DF 3 you could see a black dot at a certain distance even if the guy was in a building or behind a wall , that was one of the major flaw of the game in MP

In the demo of BHD , i never saw a black dot at high distance , and in this SP demo in the Littlebird approach of Mogadischu, i have difficult time to locate rebels or civilian from far away

So for me it seems that their commanche4 engine had fixed the black dot problem from DF3 semi-voxel engine

That's the thing rem, we don't spend all that money on graphics card just to be informed that it won't have any bearing on our performance. That, and my framerate is silky smooth when I'm outside, even at high resolutions. It's just that inside it's an absolute mess. Novalogic has always been imo opinion really lazy about their games, never bothering to take the extra effort to make everything fit together just right, or even sort of right

Tex, everything has it's limits. I think what is happening that it's rendering everything once you go inside. This kind of lag was eliminated in LW when they made the Parent tag system. It's where you enter a 3d object and it would only render those polygons whitin that object or everything within that parent tag. Since this is based on a helo sim engine, I doubt that feature is in this particular game. So, you most likely will not see silky smooth 60+ framerates unless you have a 2.4+ processor.

I must say that the screens look very nice (compared to the other delta force games), now that the pixel problem is solved, i know this game is gonna be something that i'll like a lot...

Does anyone have screenshots of one (or all) of the sniper rifles? I'm a sniper freak so i'd like to see what rifles you can carry in the game. I hope the M21 is still in the game, was a kickass rifle...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Jan. 07 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I must say that the screens look very nice (compared to the other delta force games), now that the pixel problem is solved, i know this game is gonna be something that i'll like a lot...<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. I just played the SP demo twice. The first time, I got blown out of the air by the RPG'er on the compound roof. The second time, I devoted myself to his demise.:)

That let me land but I got killed soon after enterring the building. I discovered there's a demo walkthrough in file DFBHDSPD.pdf in the demo's directory. Worth the read.

I'm not overly impressed by the terrain but that holds true for certain aspects of OFP's terrain as well. Still, it's an improvement over Land Wearier.

I'll put this game on my wish list.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone have screenshots of one (or all) of the sniper rifles? I'm a sniper freak so i'd like to see what rifles you can carry in the game. I hope the M21 is still in the game, was a kickass rifle...<span id='postcolor'>

It's still there and more. Here's a snip from file DFBHDSPD.pdf about available sniper rifles:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SNIPER RIFLES

M21 7.62mm

This semi-automatic sniper rifle is fitted with a medium power scope that is adjustable to allow for

accurate sniping from helicopters or moving ground vehicles. Introduced in 1969 as the M21, it was

initially used in the Vietnam conflict as an upgrade from the M14. It was fielded with a hardwood stock

and later replaced with fiberglass. The semi-auto fire allows for faster acquisition and firing, but

sacrifices the accuracy of a bolt-action rifle.

Ammo Type: 7.62 x 51mm

Rounds Per Clip: 20

Rounds Carried: 200

Muzzle Velocity: 777 m/s

Rate of Fire: 2 rps

M24 SWS 7.62mm

This bolt-action sniper weapon system has been a standard in the military since it was designed to

replace the M21. It was built to be a weapon with increased range and accuracy over its predecessors.

Ammo Type: 7.62 x 51mm

Rounds Per Clip: 6

Rounds Carried: 180

Muzzle Velocity: 792 m/s

Rate of Fire: .6 rps

MCRT .300 Tactical

This McMillian bolt-action sniper weapon is chambered for the Winchester .300 magnum round giving it

excellent accuracy and damage upon impact. The MCRT also boasts one of the best accuracy ratings of

all the sniper rifles.

Ammo Type: .300 magnum

Rounds Per Clip: 4

Rounds Carried: 180

Muzzle Velocity: 911 m/s

Rate of Fire: .6 rps

Barrett M82A1 .50 Cal

The Barrett M82A1 is actually considered to be an anti-material weapon designed to stop armored

personnel carriers and the like. Its .50 caliber bullet is effective against many light skinned vehicles and

structures. Its weight makes it extremely hard to deploy in traditional sniper missions, however, so it is

not often used except when it will not have to be moved very much. The accuracy of the Barrett is

limited only by the ammunition used. At the best of times, it boasts 1 MOA (minute of angle) accuracy

and a range of 1800 meters.

Ammo Type: .50 BMG

Rounds Per Clip: 10

Rounds Carried: 100

Muzzle Velocity: 853 m/s

Rate of Fire: 1 rps<span id='postcolor'>

I miss my Barret. smile.gif

No more M40A1 : ( Well, atleast they got the right rifle in the game now lol... (M40A1/A3 is USMC sniper gun)