Sign in to follow this  
edjof17

Is anyone really having fun?

I have no trouble avoiding enemy fire, I use cover and concealment often, when its avalible. I can stay alive long enough to fire many shots, but they never seem to hit the enemy, and when they do they don't kill the enemy. I'v got it on the easiest settings.

I am STUCK in the Everon Evac mission and am getting ready to throw the goddam game out the window  mad.gif Its annoying, i run through the forest to Provins, I take out two of the guys with arocket launcher, the third guy opens fire on me. Irun, he runs. I go back into posistion to fire on him, we fire at each other, he kills me. Every Fing time. On rare occasions I do kill him after 30 or so bullets on single fire mode. THen two more guys come upover the ridge and nail me before I can aim at'em. If I try to go over the ridge I die before I can turn my head to find out who'sshooting at me. No matter what I do in this mission I die.

In Ambush, another mission I'v had trouble with, all of my squadmates Suck, by the time we reach their main posistion theres only 2-3 guys left. Theres no easy approach to their posistion and with only 3 guys, its a slaughter.

In Attack the Convoy that AA gun is nearly impossible otbeat, because everytime you start to get a bead on him he hitsyou and hte chopper gos crazy. Once I did manage to detroy the AA, only to be shot downby a enemy chopper before I could take out the T-80. its nice how real this game is, but for someone who -hasn't sered in the military it'd be nice if things could be toned down a bit.

learn from your mistakes. try the missions a different way through. Thats what i did and now i'm pretty good at this on veteran mode with super ai on.

It`s not hard to kill the enemy, even in veteran mode. A single head shot does it, or if you are not yet so good in aiming, aim for center mass and shoot two or three times. Shooting gets harder when the distance gets larger, but you`ll get familiar with it, just be patient wink.gif

Eh heh, sorry guys, I just found my problem...I had my resolution to low. It was set on 800X600. My ability to see and aim has gotten alot better now. ^^; LoL

I'm still getting my butt handed to me in Everon Evac though..

One of the great things about OFP is that you can achieve your mission objectives from several different avenues - there is no 1 single way of completing a mission (it might be a bit narrower if you have to follow your squad, but you definitely have freedom playing as an Officer or Black Op). If you find that you're getting shot/blown-up every time you approach a certain place, try going a different route. It is frustrating when you die after spending 10 or 20 mins trying to finish a mission, but keep plugging away and the final feeling will be awesome.

There are a few things I think are a little unfair though - as other have said, the AI does sometimes seem like they target you specifically and repeatedly over any other member of the squad.

I'd really like to see (I don't want to turn this into a request thread, but it's relevant) the AI react differently when under fire. For instance, showing fear/taking cover would make it rather more easier on the player than an AI unit that just sits there and continues to aim and fire at you even though bullets are dropping all around him.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 30 2002,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the AI react differently when under fire. For instance, showing fear/taking cover would make it rather more easier on the player than an AI unit that just sits there and continues to aim and fire at you even though bullets are dropping all around him.<span id='postcolor'>

That's one of the aspects to control when making a mission.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">group this allowfleeing 0<span id='postcolor'>

Thi makes everyone in that group really stubborn and never flee, even if he/they are totally outgunned and outnumbered.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">group this allowfleeing 1<span id='postcolor'>

This makes the enemy flee allmost as soon as they hear a distant rifle-shot hehe tounge.gif

One hit with a LAW on a T-80 and he will retreat biggrin.gif

"Steal the car" is a difficult mission for a beginner.

It took me a while to finish it..

Somehow, i think it's even responsible (in part) for OFPs relative lack of popularity. Whenever i had someone over, or recommended the game to a friend, they complained (after playing "Steal the car") about how difficult it is. They were discouraged.. And all that before getting a glimpse of the huge maps, car/armor/aircraft simulations and all the other awesome features of the game. If it wasn't a bit paradoxal, i'd recommend playing some MP paintball in preparation for this mission.. smile.gif

@philcommando: you can thank your friend for making that mistake. MoH is not fit to kiss OFP's boots.. smile.gif. I mean: i liked the beach landing part (straight out of "Saving private Ryan"), but overall, the models, textures, animation (ridiculous sometimes), the freekin' respawn and the "corridor" maps/missions are no match for OFP..

OFP doesn't have the prettiest graphics. The sounds are kinda cheezy. The animations need work.

But, yeah, a big-ass map and something approaching combined arms, how can you go wrong?

A few other things:

A. If you're being shot at, take cover. The AI is a really good shot and doesn't miss more than once or twice.

B. The AI tends to single the player out because the player instinctively does things to increase her or his AI detection profile, namely:

1. Fires and misses more. Every shot you fire increases the AI's probability of detection. Suppressing fire doesn't work against AI in this game sad.gif

2. Runs. If you're prone and motionless, it's hard for the AI to detect you,e specially at night. If you're standing and running (E key), the AI will spot you from a long way out. The lesson? Do not run unless your life depends on it. If you have to, use accelerate time and walk (W) to cover longer distances. On spec ops missions, you'll often crawl to the target.

3. Doesn't always use concealment. Concealment (=proximity to bushes and other clutter) decreases the possibility of detection. Since detection decays over time, lying prone in bushes can "make them go away". Of course, it can also get you killed. And don't use concealment when you're being shot at. For that you need cover.

C. Read the terrain. Find the dead space (an area where you can maneuver unobserved by the enemy) and determine the avenues of approach. I've gotten out of more than one bad situation by crawling on my belly up a gully for 1 km.

D. Learn OFP:R first, then try the NP2 mod. The added dispersion on infantry weapons makes staying alive easier (because of the whole "if you're being shot at,t ake cover" tihng), but will mess your OFP ability up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dinger @ Dec. 31 2002,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP doesn't have the prettiest graphics.  The sounds are kinda cheezy.  The animations need work.<span id='postcolor'>

I actually enjoy those, infact i wouldnt have it any other way  smile.gif

The graphics seem very realistic to me.

ofp is like a toy that you have to plug into a socket to enjoy. Sometimes you're going to plug into that socket and you're going to unplug yourself right away because of something.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Jan. 01 2003,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ofp is like a toy that you have to plug into a socket to enjoy.  Sometimes you're going to plug into that socket and you're going to unplug yourself right away because of something.<span id='postcolor'>

That made absolutly no sense to me, are you drunk?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Jan. 01 2003,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Jan. 01 2003,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ofp is like a toy that you have to plug into a socket to enjoy.  Sometimes you're going to plug into that socket and you're going to unplug yourself right away because of something.<span id='postcolor'>

That made absolutly no sense to me, are you drunk?<span id='postcolor'>

He must be. Maybe his brains still didn't recover from yesturday. biggrin.gif

Definitley didn't make any sense...

I have the most fun in OFP simply toying around in the mission editor and making fun scenarios to play.

yea i have most fun in mission editor, mp most of the time isnt terribly fun, long waits many boring maps where they cover too large an area where u roughy in 30mins see about 2 guys and spend most of the time hiding in a bush jus waiting for sumthing, and ctfs r terrible, i can stand cnh not ctf, y not jus have attack and defend like rts maps but with out the rts part, i wanna see df2 type attack and defend thats wats fun tounge.gif

With me its all about concealment and shoot & manuver. Hre are a few exaples. I made a Secial Ops mission recently and set it for night. I was all alone and was going to take on 2 squads of Russions. They has Laws, and big machine guns. Night would not be my friend either. I was attacking with all those street lights brightly above. How did I take on 2 Russion squads and live to tell the tale?   tounge.gif  I moved into the town from a hill and was crouched as I went. I moved quick into the nearest building using another building to cover me so one of the squads did not see my entrance. I then [staying crouched] picked off 2 defenders. Knowing they would be coming around the corner to get me I "went the other way" around the building waiting for them to be dumbfounded by my disappearance. Then from behind them I let loose a brutal full auto attack on 3 more. What do you think I di then? Thats right I went "the other way around the building. Knowing with way they would follow I ran around another builing so as to sneek up on them from behind [and not at the building they thought I'd be at]. I fooled 3 times! After this cat and mouse game ended with death to all the Russions of the 1st squad it was time to handle the second. I sniped them one by one ussually 2 killed per conealment position thus the enemy had no idea where I would be firing from. The second senerio involves an assasination of 5 civilians guard by [count em] 30 guards. I used one of the sniper rifles found in the exellent HK pack. I crouched and moved slowly toward a shed opppsite the town where my targets were going to enter their motorcade. I positions myself not at the little building but inside of a shrub next to the building. I was also cushoned and camoed by a large tree next to the shrub. I was lying down to make my hits. I shot all of my targets and then I hit the officers in charge of security. With the guys with binoculars out of commishion I hit the heavy machinegunners so the could not blanket my snipers nest. After that it was pick and choose. If one was getting anywhere close to my nest I'd make them priority 1 and then go after any "fleeing cowards" 2nd. No one was to get out alive! All 30 guard were killed in 5 minutes of bloodshed and panic. My civillian targets di not last even that long. One guy got close but not really close enought to do me any harm. It was all in the camoflaging. Thats how to be 733t.   biggrin.gif P.s. Empty cars and wrecks are also a great cover. Watch movies like Heat. Cars getting bullit riddled and glass shattering. Then you pop out and take em out with full auto baby. Thats how you become elite like me!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tz0rcelan @ Dec. 30 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Haha, my stealcar record is 2 min biggrin.gif  

PROOF here

Beat that tounge.gif

LOL<span id='postcolor'>

Liar! j/k

As you can see in the background, that the buildings and location is from Everon and the Steal the Car mission is on Malden.

Nice try wink.gif

Ya know, im glad that I am not so much of an ofp GEEK to know if that is actually correct or not.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Black Knight @ Jan. 02 2003,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tz0rcelan @ Dec. 30 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Haha, my stealcar record is 2 min biggrin.gif  

PROOF here

Beat that tounge.gif

LOL<span id='postcolor'>

Liar! j/k

As you can see in the background, that the buildings and location is from Everon and the Steal the Car mission is on Malden.

Nice try wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, actually that picture is not a fake. It is from Malden. Some houses on Everon can be found on Malden too.

If you still don't belive me, then here is the proof:

010220034404618.jpg

010220032470695.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Jan. 02 2003,20:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, let's not turn this thread into a mud slinging contest. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't worry. I just had to save the man's reputation. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tz0rcelan @ Dec. 30 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Haha, my stealcar record is 2 min biggrin.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

Bah. Two minutes! I can do it blind folded in 30 seconds with my hands tied behind my back. Unfortunately I can't reach the print screen button with my nose, so I can't provide any proof wink.gif

I have been playing the whole OFP thing over a year now. I remember opening it 2 weeks before christmas last year cause i wanted to play it so bad. I loved it but i sucked at it. Steal the car well i beat that in the first week after about 12 atempts i would go around and hide behind the BMP Ambulace and shoot any ruskes that where around sneek up on the left get that car and zoom out of there. Of course i used that nifty little like card that showed controlls on the mission. OFP graphics poor? What are you talking about i run them at best settings and there very nice i think OFP will go down in history as the best war sim ever!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 02 2003,21:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tz0rcelan @ Dec. 30 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Haha, my stealcar record is 2 min biggrin.gif  

<span id='postcolor'>

Bah. Two minutes! I can do it blind folded in 30 seconds with my hands tied behind my back. Unfortunately I can't reach the print screen button with my nose, so I can't provide any proof wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lies. biggrin.giftounge.gif

you are all lying    biggrin.gif  tounge.gif

And about the grafix - they are amazing in this game, you just need the right pc for it (which for some people... sad.gif ). btw did anyone try and find out the quickest possible way to finish this mission?