Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

The mighty us navy - a vulnerable dinosaur?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Dec. 27 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yep, the A-10's are being replaced with the new Sopwith Camels that BIS released.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL.

Imagine the t-80 platoons getting beaten up by those Sopwith Camels.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 27 2002,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No radar?  Where do you get that?  I dont know of a modern military combat ac that doesnt have radar of some sort!  I seem to remember flying the thing in a sim and it had both ATG and ATA radar.  It also needs radar for it's low flight assistance.<span id='postcolor'>

None that I know of. I checked FAS (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10.htm) and it didn't mention any AA or AG radar.

And I certainly hope the A-10 doesn't get nudged out the door soon. Nothing low-tech to replace it with. And I definately don't want to be flying a JSF. Something's just not right about the entire military flying one type of fighter. Someone'll find a flaw and exploit it.

Bummer for you dude, the A-10 is gonna be replaced by the JSF. Somewhere around 2010 I think.

But stay with the topic or they'll close this.

Yeah their own version, you guys get 3 versions. One for the air force, one for the navy and one for the marines.

Me personally would like to fly the naval version. Too bad we don't have carriers here.

Wouldn`t the planes have some sort of passive radar system on them and why do they nver have rear facing missles on planes as its usually the objective to get behind ur opponent and let em have it confused.gif

I believe SU-27's can carry and fire rockets facing aft but it is hardly ever done in practice

No they can't, they have rear facing radar. By the way. Have you ever tried to shoot down a plane that's behind you? I think it's easier to avoid a bandit on you're six than to shoot him down on you're six... confused.gif

Anyway, like I said before, stay with topic (yes I this counts for me too)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Dec. 27 2002,03:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No they can't<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, but its hard for me not to reply when someone posts incorrect info about a military AC, even if its offtopic smile.gif. Yes they can. R-73's to be exact:

R-73.gif

And no, it's not a desirable position to be shooting at someone from, but it's a nice last-resort option to have in a dogfight.

(Nooo don't go off)

Holy shit!!! Do I see that right??? wow.gif

I thought... I'd swear... *speechless*

Although some planes can shoot things that are directly behind them, it's impractical because you're usually shot down from 30 or 40nm away.

And, uh, the navy can, uhm, shoot down missiles that are coming from behind a ship... probably.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 27 2002,02:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 27 2002,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No radar?  Where do you get that?  I dont know of a modern military combat ac that doesnt have radar of some sort!  I seem to remember flying the thing in a sim and it had both ATG and ATA radar.  It also needs radar for it's low flight assistance.<span id='postcolor'>

None that I know of.  I checked FAS (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10.htm) and it didn't mention any AA or AG radar.

And I certainly hope the A-10 doesn't get nudged out the door soon.  Nothing low-tech to replace it with.  And I definately don't want to be flying a JSF.  Something's just not right about the entire military flying one type of fighter.  Someone'll find a flaw and exploit it.<span id='postcolor'>

It has a Radar Warning Receiver, which picks up signals from any nearby active radars, but emits no active radar.

Yeah but most planes have RWRs.

Hate those annoying beeping boxes. -_-

lol, they have a different beep for each type of radar they pick up, so when you're flying around a combat zone and radars are pinging you left and right it's very annoying.

and navy airplanes have them too xmas.gif