franzo

What is the difference between "Dynamic simulation" and "Simulation management module"?

As from topic, I was thinking that they are almost the same but, after a little bit of testing, it seems they work in pretty different ways:

- Dynamic simulation stops the simulation of units at a given distance from the player without despawning them, leaving them "freezed" until the distance with the player doesn't fall under the give threshold;

- The Simulation management module doesn't only stops simulation, but it seems to despawn units until the player reduces the distance to the given threshold; when this happens units respawn exactly where they was, in the same position, and the simulation restarts normally. I'm not sure but it seems that, to enable this behaviour, you don't need to flag the same voice in the unit attributes that enables the dynamic simulation.

Am I correct? I've also noticed peculiar interaction between those two features: if Dynamic simulation threshold is smaller than the Simulation manager module, it seems that - since units should spawn  when simulation is stopped, they cannot spawn anymore; in the opposite situation, simulation starts even if they are not spawned and, when this happens, they have already moved (similarly to ALive VI system) but (although I'm not sure) without interacting with other units, spawned or not.

Any suggestions or corrections? Thanks!

So basically the module and the Dynamic simulation are intended to the same end, but in different ways?

Yes, the module was first and is relatively simple as far as configurability. The new integrated system is far more robust.

You should test them with short visual ranges.

imho, the module is still fine because the simulation is reversible on/off, with distance. It's most of the time better than a simple "activation". NB: all named units are exceptions for it.

The dynamic simulation is an incomplete BI work as you activate once for all the simulated units. So, with several players, especially spread on map (then regrouped), there is no real advantage. On the other hand, the dynamic simulation is fine for many objects other than units/vehicles (when possible).

Depending then on your scenario, the mission during time (H24 server...).

35 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Huh. Testing at 50-100M and it's not working at all. Clean test mission. The SM module works fine. 

1 hour ago, Harzach said:

Huh. Testing at 50-100M and it's not working at all. Clean test mission. The SM module works fine. 

In fact, that's two different ways of sim. If I'm right, the SM module hide Object and disable its sim (hideObjectGlobal, enableSimulationGlobal commands).

The dynamic simulation is oriented on all possible features (animations like doors, ladders, turrets, interaction menu..., sounds?). Not a simple object but something like that.

You can catch the state with dynamicSimulationEnabled command. Object can shift from false to true along with distances. Never seen from true to false, that's the main problem,imho.

• Like 1

The simulation manager module is better than the dynamic simulation for performance, but it not work fine on dedicated server (if the playable AI are not activated the simulation will not init for the player) so nothing will spawn for the player.

I think the best thing its to use the show/hide module, that require more work (its simple) but its the best, you can control everything on your scenario

52 minutes ago, damsous said:

The simulation manager module is better than the dynamic simulation for performance, but it not work fine on dedicated server (if the playable AI are not activated the simulation will not init for the player) so nothing will spawn for the player.

I think the best thing its to use the show/hide module, that require more work (its simple) but its the best, you can control everything on your scenario

There is no player on dedicated server, anyway, and the simulation manager module works from every client, with embedded global commands and playableUnits + switchableUnits.

Sure, if there is no AI enabled in lobby and no slot taken by player, this will not work... but there is no player at all.

In MP:

switchableUnits = [] (always)

playableUnits = allPlayers if disabled in lobby, = playable units (players or not) if enabled in lobby.

I can't reproduce what you're talking about.

19 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

There is no player on dedicated server, anyway, and the simulation manager module works from every client, with embedded global commands and playableUnits + switchableUnits.

Sure, if there is no AI enabled in lobby and no slot taken by player, this will not work... but there is no player at all.

In MP:

switchableUnits = [] (always)

playableUnits = allPlayers if disabled in lobby, = playable units (players or not) if enabled in lobby.

I can't reproduce what you're talking about.

Ha maybe its because i launch the server with the autoinit command, like this if the AI are desactivated in the lobby (playable unit) nothing is showing up, ennemy AI or static object the map is empty.

• Like 1

On 25/8/2018 at 9:38 PM, pierremgi said:

imho, the module is still fine because the simulation is reversible on/off, with distance. It's most of the time better than a simple "activation". NB: all named units are exceptions for it.

The dynamic simulation is an incomplete BI work as you activate once for all the simulated units. So, with several players, especially spread on map (then regrouped), there is no real advantage. On the other hand, the dynamic simulation is fine for many objects other than units/vehicles (when possible).

Depending then on your scenario, the mission during time (H24 server...).

So you're suggesting, for a SP mission, to use the SM module and maybe let work the Dynamic module on longer distances (visual range)?

45 minutes ago, franzo said:

So you're suggesting, for a SP mission, to use the SM module and maybe let work the Dynamic module on longer distances (visual range)?

No. I'm not sure the mix of both is useful or even recommended (except if you segregate objects for dynamic sym and units/vehicles for SM).

If you have plenty of static objects, houses, items, loots... use the dynamic sim.

If you place plenty of units in editor, the SM module works fine.

Furthermore, the very best method is to spawn units "on demand", along with the scenario. Then, if you don't want to script some despawn system for the areas you leave, the SM can help with its reversibility, not the dynamic sim.

33 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

No. I'm not sure the mix of both is useful or even recommended (except if you segregate objects for dynamic sym and units/vehicles for SM).

If you have plenty of static objects, houses, items, loots... use the dynamic sim.

If you place plenty of units in editor, the SM module works fine.

Furthermore, the very best method is to spawn units "on demand", along with the scenario. Then, if you don't want to script some despawn system for the areas you leave, the SM can help with its reversibility, not the dynamic sim.

Yes, I was thinking also at on spawning - despawning via script and triggers, thanks!

On 25/8/2018 at 11:20 PM, pierremgi said:

In fact, that's two different ways of sim. If I'm right, the SM module hide Object and disable its sim (hideObjectGlobal, enableSimulationGlobal commands).

The dynamic simulation is oriented on all possible features (animations like doors, ladders, turrets, interaction menu..., sounds?). Not a simple object but something like that.

You can catch the state with dynamicSimulationEnabled command. Object can shift from false to true along with distances. Never seen from true to false, that's the main problem,imho.

Testend and it works both ways, at least at short distances, I should try on more common settings