CEA993CBA491BC10B4BCDBC7F6AA45AA96BE9B62

Download:

MIL_SniperHuntDM - Dropbox/Steam Workshop/Armaholic

Description:

MIL_SniperHuntDM is a 2-4 player, sniper versus sniper deathmatch, playable on a number of different maps. Play for the long game and try to hunt down your enemies while keeping them guessing, or set up a short match through customisable lobby settings.

This is built for a dedicated server with custom difficulty settings (listed below) in order to achieve the difficulty I was going for. It will work fairly well on a hosted server, but there was only so much I could do to force difficulty settings that I recommend to be used on a dedi.

MIL_SniperHuntDM is intended to be difficult, and while taking your shot is still a critical part of the mission it is only a small part. I've tried to build this mission to require the player/s to put a lot more effort into some of the other aspects of "sniping" (navigation, judging distance, cam & concealment) while at the same time requiring them to out-think and out-hunt their enemies.

MIL_SniperHuntDM has been ported across 18 maps (listed below). If there are any map requests let me know, as I made it fairly simple to set up on other maps.

*** One MAJOR point to note - I wanted this to be all about the hunt. So, depending on the customisable settings used at the start of the mission this could just descend into a boring camp-fest (I've created adjustable player markers to alleviate this). The mates I tested this with didn't camp (most of the time). We "hunted" each other down, and it was fun with plenty of tension.

Features:

- Dedi/Hosted server support.
- Player markers, adjustable through lobby params, to indicate enemy positions that:
    - Can have an inaccuracy applied to them.
    - Can increase in accuracy over time.
- Optional weather settings, including snow in place of rain on arctic maps.
    - Credits to "IndeedPete & KokaKolaA3" for snow scripts.
- Randomly assigned gear (equipment/weapons).
    - Arctic, desert or woodland.
- Limited ammunition (2 x mags per weapon).
- Randomly spawned quad bikes (small chance for Hummingbirds).
- Custom kill/death & disconnect messages.
- No rangefinding.
- Spectator slot.
- Easily adaptable to other maps.
- Supports vanilla, RHS, CUP & Massi NATO SF and Russian Weapons.
    - Added ability for users without mod to still play by giving them vanilla weapons.
    - However, mod weapons won't be visible to non-mod players.
- Support for a headless client.
    - Offload handling of vehicle spawns (handled by host on a hosted server).
    - More of a learning point for myself.

Supported Terrains:

//Small
- Bukovina (CUP)
- Nordkvingo, Norway
- Proving Grounds (CUP)
- Shapur (CUP)
- Utes (CUP)
- Winter Town

//Medium
- Bystrica (CUP)
- Chernobyl Zone
- Chernobyl Zone (Winter)
- Gorgona
- Kolgujev (CUP)
- Santa Catalina Island
- Southern Sahrani (CUP)
- Stratis
- Takistan Mountains (CUP)

//Large
- Esseker
- G.O.S. Koplic

//Extra Large
- Bornholm, Denmark

Dependencies:

- Terrains for the non-vanilla maps.

- For mod weapons, either:

- RHS USAF

- CUP Weapons

- Massi US SF & Russian Weapons

Install:

Add all the SniperHunt_DM mission .pbo files to your MPMissions directory.

Dedicated Server Difficulty Settings:

- https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile
- Add/amend the custom difficulty class of your server profile.

Spoiler

class DifficultyPresets
{
	class custom
	{
		class Options
		{
			reducedDamage=0;
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=0;
			tacticalPing=0;
			weaponInfo=2;
			stanceIndicator=2;
			staminaBar=0;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=0;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=1;
			deathMessages=0;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.5;
		precisionAI=0.5;
	};
};

- https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg
- Add/amend the following line in your server config file.

Spoiler

forcedDifficulty = "custom";

Media:

As these we're WIP videos, there's a bunch of bugs. So, never mind the confusing markers.......

First playable tests, 4 different sessions (9:47s):

Second playable tests, 2 missions, 1 as spectator and 1 drawn out mission (10:53s):

Third/final test, 1 mission with a different and fairly vocal group. Also the first time I get killed playing this (8:47s):

Known Bugs:

- Players used to sometimes spawn in rocks, and markers sometimes didn't function correctly, and vehicles sometimes exploded on spawn. I applied changes to fix all these issues and haven't seen any repeats of them since but if they do still occur, please let me know.

If anyone finds any problems please let me know.

Thank you.

Edited by beno_83au
v1.1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @GEORGE FLOROS GR. This is my first stand alone mission released, although I've been dabbling, slowly and ever more competently, since OFP day 1. I think it's a bit of a niche scenario so i guess I'll see how well it's recieved. I usually only make private coops so I'm interested to see how it holds up to a wider audience. 

• Thanks 1

Updated.

v1.1:

Changed - Killfeed now also includes the range of the killing shot.

• Like 1

Was fun :).

- Can you add more player slots? (like 24 slots) Would make for a fun server event for my community.

- The markers still update even if youre dead. Would be nice to disable that for dead people, to hasten players finding each other.

(because when i edited to add more player slots, enemy markers wouldnt even show up so i guess my Arma proficiency stops there :p  )

• Like 1

Thanks @zafjr, glad you enjoyed it. I can have a look at expanding it for more players. When i made it it was a lot easier for me to make it specifically for 4 players. But I'm better at this now, so i could make that happen. 

With the markers, i think that was intended behaviour for dead guy markers iirc, but i can have them go static once someone dies if that's preferred. 

I'll see how i go though. I've gotta get through 2 family birthdays (including my own) and 6-day's of shift work so it might take a bit longer than usual. 

Oh, hmm well then the dead player markers arent so bad after all.

Just the adding more slots part :)  (or maybe you can point me in the right direction of which script to edit or something :p got a discord channel?)

Happy Birthday! (soon)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zafjr said:

(or maybe you can point me in the right direction of which script to edit or something :p got a discord channel?)

Not as simple as that unfortunately. Most parts that are to do with the players are hard coded for each player (plyr1,plyr2,plyr3,plyr4), and then is set up to account for unfilled player slots. When I change it, I'll change it to be smarter/better than that.

Yeah.. I got as far as being able to get the markers working (tried with 14 players just now). However, not all of them get teleported. Some of them get stuck at the starting spawn position. Just to make things work, i HALO dropped them using MCC :p. It was fun, BUT near the endgame, around 30 minutes was spent waiting for the last 2 players to find each other (being stubborn just camping). This may sound disgusting but.. a battleroyale type of enclosing circle/square to force players to meet after a while doesnt sound like a bad idea :p

• Like 1

@zafjr Disgusting indeed :icon2:

Campfests were always a concern for this. Obviously, those you play with will be a big influence on how it plays out. But just incase you haven't played around with the mission settings much, in the MP lobby under parameters there are 3 options you can change before starting the game under the heading "Marker Settings". There's the ability to bring the markers in to be very accurate at the end of the cycle so you could try experimenting with those. I'd rather not force players to move to designated areas (e.g. PUBG), but rather give them the room to make their own decisions/mistakes. I'll have a think about what I can do to move things along in the "end game" without limiting a player's choices though and see how we go. Thanks for the feedback!