Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

How about adventure games?

There is also a MYST massive multiplayer online game in the works. For all you adventure fans smile.gif

System Shock 2, I think that is more of a RPG to be honest, like Deus Ex. Since it has character advancement as a key ingridient, I dont think it is just an adventure game anymore.

There is also the Tomb Raider series of course, which could be called adventure games.

Since this thread is dug up, can i just say the the dopest adventure games of all time are the Zork series!? I mean, after the text adventures, they just got awesome. Return to Zork dragged me and my brother in for weeks trying to beat it. Then Zork: Nemesis came out, and once again we were hooked. Actually got stuck on a part and could beat it for about 2 months, then finally figured it out. And then finally Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Although more on the comedic side, was still a great game. Even had some famous people in there. Mainly was that one guy from Spinal Tap as the lantern. (of course he was in MANY other things, i just can't remember his name....like Airheads, he was the pony tailed boss). If anyone may have any info on any future Zork games, or even a new Myst to add to the series (althought the Myst series aint got shit on Zork) it would be much appreciated. The Zork series was supposed to continued, but never was. I even read in PcGamer waaaaaay back in the day that a Return to Zork was going to made into a movie. wow.gif Sorry, i jsut saw Zork mentioned and got excited.

/me puts down the coffee

I wouldn`t have called jedi-knight2 and adventure game as all there was too it was running around hitting a few switches shooting some bad guys and inbetween u get a few cutscenes.

The same goes with tomb raider only it was more jumping and flicking switches.

I wish someone would make one of the old interactive movie games but make it a lot less linear so instead of dloing just puzzles to advance the story u could detective work and shit and the choices u made had a definite impact on the story line.

one more thing every in every rpg game u should be able to start fights at random and break down,climb over any obstacle in ur way which if only ever seen working well in one game confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Feb. 03 2003,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">System Shock 2, I think that is more of a RPG to be honest, like Deus Ex. Since it has character advancement as a key ingridient, I dont think it is just an adventure game anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

Try System Shock 1, thats something... impressive smile.gif Propably the best game I have ever played. Shock 2 was a nice game, but a bad sequel as it wasnt an adventure game like Shock 1 (Shock 1 even had a 3D point'n'click kinda interface).

gamespy likes it too tounge.gif

Some adventure games I've enjoyed are Sam and Max, Grim Fandigo, and the Monkey Island series.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Feb. 03 2003,22:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can someone please explain the difference between adventure and roleplay to me!<span id='postcolor'>

They`re more or less the same but as a general rule i would say that role play features more on the story and characters but has restricted gameplay where adventure has more action.

Thats my outlook on the 2 smile.gif

I think that most people would describe an adventure as being more about puzzles with no clearly identified character. You are simply 'you', an inventory and no more. Role playing games tended to be more focused on the character you play and mostly revolve around improving skills and stats.

Some of my favourite adventure / rpg type games would include the original Monkey Island,

Day of the Tenticle,

Outcast,

Thief 1 + 2,

most of the Ultima games.

Always found the Dungeons and Dragons games ( Baldurs Gate ) to be very shallow and too much about number crunching to be real fun.

Also if you liked the old text adventures try out the interactive fiction archives. The'yre not too well layed out and the quality varies but there are some good games here.

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive.html

Monkey island is problaly the game i have spent most time playing, besides ofp. The game was my first english teacher, i had to look most of the words up in a dictionary to figure out what the hell i was doing.

I just got Monkey island 3, not quite the same as spending nights infront of my tv with my amiga600 hooked up to it and having to jump on the mouse buttons to get them clicking, but still great smile.gif

I love the humor in those old lucas art games, i also played alot of Zak Mackraken and the alien mindbenders, i got to mars and got stuck. Oh and loom, really wierd game where you had to play music or something, never got very far in that game.

LucasArts recently re-released four of its old-time classics, adapted for WinXP and modern CPU's biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Product Description

This Entertainment Pack contains four great LucasArts Classics: Sam & Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and The Dig.<span id='postcolor'>

Å24.99 from Game smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 03 2003,23:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Feb. 03 2003,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">System Shock 2, I think that is more of a RPG to be honest, like Deus Ex. Since it has character advancement as a key ingridient, I dont think it is just an adventure game anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

Try System Shock 1, thats something... impressive smile.gif Propably the best game I have ever played. Shock 2 was a nice game, but a bad sequel as it wasnt an adventure game like Shock 1 (Shock 1 even had a 3D point'n'click kinda interface).

gamespy likes it too tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Good pick. Deus-Ex had a lot of the same people working on it as System Shock 1 & 2. They're not really adventure games as such, but both lived on my system waaaay longer than Thief ever did. They are both games I actually bought (rare for me.....OFP fits in this category too).

I even bought multiple copies of System Shock 2 (this is why I disagree with you Kegs), because with the patch they brought out you could play the whole game as a co-op with up to four players. Two was the ideal number....excellent fun.....me shouting at my m8 "Shoot the monkey, shoot the monkey!" smile.gif

HitchHiker's was a great adventure game....and I guess I still think of adventure games having no GFX because of it. Oh yeah and although it's not strictly an adventure game, Pirates! for Amiga tounge.gif

Definition adventure:

short for graphic adventure (nowadays) or text adventure (back in the 80s); A text adventure can be compared to an interactive book. The adventure describes locations, actions, persons and dialogues and you have to type in commands (e.g. "move north", "open door"). A graphic adventure describes locations, actions, persons and dialogues with animations and still images, cut-scenes and other cinematic stuff (since 1994: spoken dialogues), you control your character with your mouse (good) or with your keyboard (bad; LucasArts, be warned! ).

Key element of all adventures are dialogues (LucasArts: funny; Baphomet: long) to obtain clues or items. Items are another element; you collect tons of keys, papers, artifacts and weird stuff like rubber chickens, giant q-tips and frozen hamsters. These items are stored in your inventory (sometimes funny: remember the giant q-tip?) and can be combined (there is a little MacGyver in everyone, right?).

Classic plot of an adventure:

You are the (anti-)hero and have to solve A. Therefore you need item B which is in possession of person C. After talking to C you get to know that he wants an item D that seems to be unreachable on island E; but Captain F can help you -if you repair engine G...

Newest star of the adventure scene:

"Runaway -A Road Adventure"

(created by pendulo studios, spain)

I'll start programming an adventure on my own -for Linux! I've found a suitable book and some online-courses to improve my drawing skills (e.g. howtodrawmanga). Why Linux? No TCPA!

I'd say a "real" old-school adventure is a game where you really "adventure", you cannot die or get a "game over" no matter what you do, no time limits or anything, just examining things and solving puzzles. Monkey Island and such being perfect examples.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd say a "real" old-school adventure is a game where you really "adventure", you cannot die or get a "game over" no matter what you do, no time limits or anything, just examining things and solving puzzles. Monkey Island and such being perfect examples.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed. It's a shame they just don't make those any more.

The last one I've played fitting that description was Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned. It was excellent. The (early 3D) graphics seem a bit outdated these days, but the game has such a strong storyline I have to play it again at least once a year. It's like re-reading a good book.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Feb. 04 2003,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Good pick. Deus-Ex had a lot of the same people working on it as System Shock 1 & 2. They're not really adventure games as such, but both lived on my system waaaay longer than Thief ever did.<span id='postcolor'>

Lived? You speak in the past tense. My Deus Ex will stay on my hard drive forever alongside with OFP! Two by far the most innovative 1st person shooters ever made. (ok, OFP's an infantry simulator rather than FPS, and Deus Ex falls into adventure-role-playing-FPS genre, if such exists biggrin.gif )

Thank God they are making a sequel now.

By far the best role playing game ever made is Fallout, especially Fallout 2. Fallout Tactics was a huge disappointment. The whole basic concept behind the series was thrashed when Tactics came out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Broileri @ Feb. 04 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd say a "real" old-school adventure is a game where you really "adventure", you cannot die or get a "game over" no matter what you do, no time limits or anything, just examining things and solving puzzles. Monkey Island and such being perfect examples.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed. It's a shame they just don't make those any more.

The last one I've played fitting that description was Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned. It was excellent. The (early 3D) graphics seem a bit outdated these days, but the game has such a strong storyline I have to play it again at least once a year. It's like re-reading a good book.<span id='postcolor'>

i thought that game was the movie type like the 7th guest or 11th hour.

The 7thguest and 11th hour games were combination of story and puzzles where u would walk about this house picking up clues that would lead to the puzzles and further the storyline the more stuff u completed.The nice feature these games had were if u got really stuck u could get hints so u were never totally stuck at a difficult part of the game smile.gif

7thguide.gif

Strategy guides are for wieners!!!! tounge.gif I don't like em. I got stuck in Zork Nemesis for weeks until i finally loaded it back up, walked(clicked) around for like an hour, and FINALLY figured out the puzzle that was driving me nuts forever. A little(LOT!wink.gif patience is all you need sometimes. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 04 2003,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd say a "real" old-school adventure is a game where you really "adventure", you cannot die or get a "game over" no matter what you do, no time limits or anything, just examining things and solving puzzles. Monkey Island and such being perfect examples.<span id='postcolor'>

But there are some old-school adventures where you could die: Space Quest series, Leisure Suit Larry series, Kings Quest series, Police Quest series, Indiana Jones series etc. (just a few from the top of my head smile.gif) And IIRC you could die near the end of Monkey Island 2 (not sure about Monkey Island 1). I cant remember if you could die in the Discworld series though.

Hmmm.. Time to go to abandonware pages again. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 04 2003,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But there are some old-school adventures where you could die: Space Quest series, Leisure Suit Larry series, Kings Quest series, Police Quest series, Indiana Jones series etc.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, oh. Don't even remind me of those countless times in Space Quest where all you had to do is to walk too close to a cliff edge to see that so familiar "Game Over" window with some random text reminding you how the game should be played.

Monkey Island was indeed a positive change for all this frustrating die/load/die/load/die/succeed/save/die/load

-sequence. I still remember the funny scene in Monkey Island I where you could walk too close to a cliff edge, fall down and bounce back with a message telling you something about "what are the odds to drop on to a tree made of rubber" and spiced with a sarcastic remark about the Space Quest -series wink.gif

Put Guybrush underwater for more than 10mins...

Yes, you can "die" in Monkey Island... wink.gif

Maniac Mansion had a very unique death sequence; you got caught, not killed. Two persons in prison: one pushed the door button, the other one escaped and placed the hamster in the micro wave oven (splat). But after more than one decade of gaming I still haven't found the fuel for the chainsaw. And the import of savegames from Zac MacKracken isn't functioning. biggrin.gif

Those were the days my friend...

P.S.: There were strange deaths in Larry I, remember? Leave the street to the left or right or don't use a lubber... (very instructive btw wink.gif)

P.P.S.: "Why are adventures so expensive?" - "Because of that much pricey VGA-graphics!" (Yes, I know bad translation; only got the german version)

You guys are forgetting the Phantasma Goria series... Thoese were some pretty cool FMV adventure games much like the old Gabriel Knight games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Diplomata @ Feb. 05 2003,02:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard that Full Throttle 2 is under development...<span id='postcolor'>

Great news! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Dec. 14 2002,02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has anybody played the Lord of the Rings games for PS2? those look kinda cool.<span id='postcolor'>

My brother`s got the game where you fight your way through the movie sequences. It`s absolutely stunning!!! I wish they had released for the PC too confused.gif

But there are a lot of hack`n`slay games on the PS2 like the Onimusha series I`d almost chop a finger off to get it on my PC. No pure adventures, but those games rock! And the cutscenes... smile.gif *dream*

Just remeber there was something called Head Over Heels for C64. That took me ages to finish..lots of things to work out in that one (of course....I was a little bit younger back then wink.gif )