Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 09 2003,04:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*SIDE NOTE:(I went to Japan to get away from all the bullshit that was happening here. Unfortunately (not really) I made the mistake of falling in love before I left and I came back...and now I am getting married.)<span id='postcolor'>

Man, that's worse than getting stuck in an APC with Geraldo Rivera....getting married. crazy.gifwow.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gifwink.gif

congrats on your (possible) marriage. smile.gif

remember, as Apu from the Simpson's said:

Apu:Do you think this marriage will work out?

Manjula:Who knows? If it doesn't, we can get divorced.

Apu:Yes! God bless America!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 09 2003,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was your family in the military? Or civilians? Why were you in Cuba. I'd like to go there once too *wistful look*<span id='postcolor'>

Well, my dad was Cuban. He was doing his mandatory military service as an aircraft mechanic in the Cuban Airforce. He got a chance to go to the USSR to study Aeronautical Engineering, (Ukraine to be exact) There he met an 18 year old Russian girl who came back with him to Cuba when he finished his studies. He left the military shortly as his mandatory service was up, and then worked for Aeroflot as well as Cubana airlines. My mom became a Russian interpreter for the Cuban government.

Me my mom and my 2 year old sister left for Russia in '92 (two way ticket) After the USSR collapsed and she especially was having trouble on the streets being 100% Russian and looking it. That same year my dad had died of cancer, and there was also a feud between her and my dad's side of the family which I never fully understood but seems to be patched up now. So she decided anyhere else would be better than where she was, and we went to live with her parents in Ukraine for a year, until we decided to use the return ticket - knowing that the plane would make a stopover at Gander, Newfoundland, Canada.

I went back to visit in '98 for two weeks, but to be honest I found it depressing, and the whole time I felt guilty because I could leave when I wanted to. I don't think I could go there again the way the political and economic situation is.

P.S. I was expecting it in some form or another Ralphie wink.gif

For anyone that thinks people aren't stupid and gullible....check this out:

Rush Limbaugh

Click the link for the "irate caller".

Yes its Rush...but its not politics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 09 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For anyone that thinks people aren't stupid and gullible....check this out:

Rush Limbaugh

Yes its Rush...but its not politics.<span id='postcolor'>

ROFLMAO! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 09 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For anyone that thinks people aren't stupid and gullible....check this out:

Rush Limbaugh

Oh shit lol... I don't think I've ever heard Rush at a loss for words- ever. I sometimes think we need a Ministry for Sterilization and Expatriation of Stupid People tounge.gif

Rush Limbaugh

Hmmm.. can't play the audio file. Says it's a bad link. Can't d/l it, either. Strange.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 09 2003,04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">boeing46.jpg

Notice the lovely swastika<span id='postcolor'>

I guess that guy wanted to have a nazi-swastika tattooed on his arm. Too bad it's mirrored and now it's a symbol of good luck. biggrin.giftounge.gif

It always makes me smile to see those who draw/tattoo/use pictures of swastikas and don't know the difference between these two:

swastika.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ April 09 2003,08:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 09 2003,04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">boeing46.jpg

Notice the lovely swastika<span id='postcolor'>

I guess that guy wanted to have a nazi-swastika tattooed on his arm. Too bad it's mirrored and now it's a symbol of good luck. biggrin.giftounge.gif

It always makes me smile to see those who draw/tattoo/use pictures of swastikas and don't know the difference between these two:

swastika.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Any redneck ignorant enough to put that on his arm would likely not know the difference anyways.

Some people... crazy.gifmad.gifsad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ April 09 2003,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe that photo above is mirrowed? Happens sometimes with photos or tapes.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The person in the white T-shirt behind him has a logo on the left side, which is the norm. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 09 2003,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I figured this is as much a political statement as it is a news item, so I'll post it on this thread:

Crowds Cheer as U.S. Marines Near Baghdad Center<span id='postcolor'>

This trend has been reported on several places. I guess that the Iraqi patriotism was overestimated. They are showing the same willingness and capability to fight that they showed in the six day war against Israel. None, that is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 09 2003,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess that the Iraqi patriotism was overestimated. They are showing the same willingness and capability to fight that they showed in the six day war against Israel. None, that is.<span id='postcolor'>

Other than possibly being lousy fighters, I do not see the connection.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 09 2003,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Other than possibly being lousy fighters, I do not see the connection.<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly that. Grand rethorics about fighting to the end and then nothing when push comes to shove.

Before the US troops come:

"You will die you infidel bastards, we will kill you all like the dogs you are!"

After:

"Please have this pink flower."

It could of course be related that they were afraid of retribution from Saddam, but I think there is more to it, that it's a cultural trait.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 09 2003,12:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Before the US troops come:

"You will die you infidel bastards, we will kill you all like the dogs you are!"

After:

"Please have this pink flower."

It could of course be related that they were afraid of retribution from Saddam, but I think there is more to it, that it's a cultural trait.<span id='postcolor'>

I see no contradiction here.

One attitude can be attributed to the Regime's henchmen and their cohorts.

The other can be attributed to the masses of Iraqis, who indeed have been afraid for the last several decades.

Anyone remember what comparison I made, way before this war started, of what would happen once Saddam's control was gone?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 09 2003,11:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone remember what comparison I made, way before this war started, of what would happen once Saddam's control was gone?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope.

One possible development could have been a situation similar to the one in Israel. It doesn't look like it's going to be that way.

This actual lack of resistance reminds me of the virtual support that the Arab countries are giving to the Palestinians. Talk, talk and more talk, but just talk. I see the parallells to the Iraqi statements how they would fight the Anglo-American forces for every square cm of Iraq. Didn't quite happen, did it?

Iraq is also a special case since it is a artificial construction made 70 years ago. One can imagine that as such Iraqi nationalism is more rare.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 09 2003,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 09 2003,11:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone remember what comparison I made, way before this war started, of what would happen once Saddam's control was gone?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope.<span id='postcolor'>

I suggested what would happen would be similar to the scene in the Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy & Co. were cornered on the roof by the WWW (hint: it's not WEB-related  biggrin.gif ) and her ruthless guards. Two moments after Dorothy inadvertently threw water on the WWW and melted her (oops! ), the head of the guardsmen knelt down in front of Dorothy, pronouncing "Hail to Dorothy! The Wicked Witch is dead!"

Then all the guards chant in with a chorus of Ding Dong, the .......... er - never mind! crazy.gif

It certainly looks like it's going to be that way. They had their chance to fight in Baghdad. With a little organization on the Iraqi part it would have made it impossible for the US troops to enter Baghdad. For a good example of how it's suppose to be done done, look at Grozny.

Regardless, it's a very good development, especially for the civilians.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 09 2003,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It certainly looks like it's going to be that way.<span id='postcolor'>

Then again, it depends on which version of the movie you have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 08 2003,06:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 09 2003,05wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ April 09 2003,04:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*SIDE NOTE:(I went to Japan to get away from all the bullshit that was happening here. Unfortunately (not really) I made the mistake of falling in love before I left and I came back...and now I am getting married.)<span id='postcolor'>

Congrats!

I know what you mean though, I can assure you, people of Russian ethnicity weren't too popular in Cuba around the time the USSR broke up, and I never looked particularly Hispanic. (incidentally, one of the first reasons we had for leaving)<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks <!--emo&biggrin.gif

So don't take my ire to seriously...I wasn't really offended...see those morons just made me start thinking is all. I hate it when that happens!  crazy.gif

Was your family in the military? Or civilians? Why were you in Cuba. I'd like to go there once too *wistful look*<span id='postcolor'>

Um... i guess you mean... morans... right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 09 2003,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i guess you mean... morans... right?<span id='postcolor'>

They're Irish?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 09 2003,11:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regardless, it's a very good development, especially for the civilians.<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed. At least now they escaped the megadeath toll which would result if a REAL battle for Baghdad took place.

What's interesting to see now is: will the US be as smart (or lucky, whichever you prefer) in handling post-war Iraq as it was in its military strategy for defeating it? I can see a quite a few issues that can turn the thing sour for the Americans if not handled properly (or, conversely, be a boon if handled properly):

-maintaining law and order (looting is fun for awhile, but the majority of people always look for stability)

-providing food, water and basic services to the population

-the ethnic division of the country (who gets what, if anything?)

-the interim and permanent government (who, how are they elected/chosen and for how long?)

-honoring the existing commercial contracts and government obligations (will they be honored or not? if yes, will they be honored selectively?)

People, turn on your TV..... Baghdad is starting to cheer smile.gif

L8R,

TopCover

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 08 2003,13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 09 2003,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i guess you mean... morans... right?<span id='postcolor'>

They're Irish?<span id='postcolor'>

Nevermind

Saddam's Reich is falling clearly - people cheering on the streets of Baghdad smile.gif

Let the party begin...