Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

Either the initial reporting is more flawed or the subsequent reporting is more flawed. Which do you consider more likely?

Generally speaking: the subsequent . Initial reporting might be carried away by the heat of the moment but it is still usually more accurate than post-construction and the application of political spins and agendas.

Quote[/b] ]seems like the museum staff decided to safely guard the artifacts until things settle down. guess they didn't trust anyone and decided to keep it a secret to protect the artifacts.

Version #3. Kind of clashes with ITYJW's version where the museum staff were the bad guys and involved in the looting.

See my point?

when US troops entered Baghdad, and the museum, they had no idea who was there first and artifacts were gone. considering that it seemed like the "looter" had access level comparable to that of museum staff, it is most likely that they were considered as suspects. they didn't say a word either, so it was questionable. now that they are talking, we know things better.

Quote[/b] ]Generally speaking: the subsequent . Initial reporting might be carried away by the heat of the moment but it is still usually more accurate than post-construction and the application of political spins and agendas.

uhm.......maybe my idea of subsequent is different from yours.

when US troops entered Baghdad, and the museum, they had no idea who was there first and artifacts were gone. considering that it seemed like the "looter" had access level comparable to that of museum staff

Umm. They were standing outside of the museum watching a stream of looters carrying away artifacts.  rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Generally speaking: the subsequent . Initial reporting might be carried away by the heat of the moment but it is still usually more accurate than post-construction and the application of political spins and agendas.

uhm.......maybe my idea of subsequent is different from yours.

He asked which one was more flawed. I say the subsequent since it has had time to be influenced by political agendas. I'm not sure what you find so strange about it. rock.gif

Lost items:

peterson.gif

Further on looting (this gave me a good laugh):

davies.gif

ouch..thought he asked which one is more "Accurate". seems like another case of assuming positive perspective. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Umm. They were standing outside of the museum watching a stream of looters carrying away artifacts.  rock.gif

i'm pretty sure 2 ppl can guard a big museum and have no looters. what did you expect? yes, it is a spectacular failure to asssign a single digit number of guards for a museum, but considering that museum staff already hid most of the artifacts, although cannot be creditted as US's feat, kinda gives a bad support for the argument that US let museum get looted to pieces, which was what many people were saying.

and your cartoon pretty much says it all. US went into get WMD, not millions of years of heritage. (and still failed to find the stuffs that were claimed to be there before war, except the mobile lab)

Denoir- "Generally speaking: the subsequent . Initial reporting might be carried away by the heat of the moment but it is still usually more accurate than post-construction and the application of political spins and agendas."

Ok..well now i know we will have to agree to disagree  crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ah yes the BBC, Blair Broadcasting Corporation! tounge_o.gif However is this the same BBC that showed the programme the claimed the raid to 'save' wink_o.gif Pvt Lynch was staged? Not exactly in step with allied propaganda then was it!

I may be wrong, but wasn't it ITV which showed that documentary? I could swear there was adverts throughout it.

Ah you neo-colonial satellite nation cronies make me laugh!

International tragedy = tens of thousands of priceless artifacts looted due to negligence.

Minor Fuckup = A few hundred items looted due to negligence.

My Conclusion: Find a better topic to attack the Coalition on, this dog won't hunt.

"Conspiracy theorists make me want to vomit."

You dont believe in conspiracys I take it? smile_o.gif

Nyet Comrade Crazysheep, it was our glorious national propaganda service. Long live comrade Blair! Glory to the party!

smile_o.gif

Wow, this thread is still going? I saw a documentary about Al-Jazeera and all the pics of dead soldiers etc. Really interesting about how many things we took for granted could be considered 'controversial'.

Hehe, just wait till this war get's declassified, not that anyone will care then.

this guy (or it might be another claimant to the throne) is pure comedy to watch being interviewed.

He just expects himself to go back and say "I'm King" and it'll happen... because he's royalty...

Quote[/b] ]Ah yes the BBC, Blair Broadcasting Corporation! tounge_o.gif However is this the same BBC that showed the programme the claimed the raid to 'save' wink_o.gif Pvt Lynch was staged? Not exactly in step with allied propaganda then was it!

I may be wrong, but wasn't it ITV which showed that documentary? I could swear there was adverts throughout it.

It was actually Channel 4 tounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Conspiracy theorists make me want to vomit. sad_o.gifmad_o.gif

Is that including the conspiracy theorists in 1938 Germany? Or Winston Churchill, who was one of the few who thought that Hitler was planning to take over Europe and Russia? Those were conspiracy theorists, and were proved right.....

Quote[/b] ]Conspiracy theorists make me want to vomit. sad_o.gif  mad_o.gif

Is that including the conspiracy theorists in 1938 Germany? Or Winston Churchill, who was one of the few who thought that Hitler was planning to take over Europe and Russia? Those were conspiracy theorists, and were proved right.....

Or you know, area 51, JFK being assassinated by a zionist cult so that we could enter Vietnam, Big Brother, Hemp not being legal in the US because of neo-nazis.... stuff like that wink_o.gif

I dont beleive in them either.

Quote[/b] ]Or you know, area 51, JFK being assassinated by a zionist cult so that we could enter Vietnam, Big Brother, Hemp not being legal in the US because of neo-nazis.... stuff like that

I dont beleive in them either.

Don't forget the Illuminati/ Free Mason/ Reptilian theory. tounge_o.gif

The Free Masons are the shadow U.S. gov't and are based under Denver International Airport. Free Masons were founded at the building of the Pyramids at Giza when the Reptelians (evolved ancestors of the dinosaurs that left Earth and later returned to help mankind) showed the humans how to build them. The Free Masons, keeping Old Rich White dudes in power since the dawn of civilization. tounge_o.gif

Hans Blix has harsh words for the Bush Administration

Quote[/b] ]"I have my detractors in Washington, "Blix said in an uncharacteristic outburst to a British newspaper.

Quote[/b] ]In his interview with The Guardian, Blix also accused Washington of regarding the United Nations as an "alien power" which it hoped would sink without trace.

Pretty amazing. Coalition troops have done far worse than the UN inspectors in finding WMDs and you have still the stomach to criticise the inspectors... rock.gif

ABC's Nightline just covered the Museum looting tragedy. According to them, only 33 important artifacts were looted (Likely done with internal aid, and sold on the black market). The museum director was less than forthright about the extent of the damages and in fact knew that most of the museum's priceless items were hidden away in vaults, yet he happily made it seem as if the U.S. was responsible for an unprecedented historical atrocity. That being said, the U.S. fucked up. The military knew about the significance of the museum in advance and assured concerned scientists and historians there was a plan in place to protect it. There was not, or at least it failed to be implemented. The plan to protect the oil ministry however, was successfully carried out. Makes one scratch one's head and say "Hmmm, I wonder just what the Bush Administration's priority was in this war?" Those 33 items were priceless, and are not likely to be recovered in the near future. Is this a global disaster? No. Is it an intenrational embarassment to the U.S.? Yes, it is. We should have known or suspected that insiders in the museum would take advantage of the chaos and loot artifacts for personal gain. We should have protected the museum immediately, and we should have had sting operations up and running to nab potential thieves trying to sell what they stole. All in all, this was not the most embarassing failure to come out of the war, just a noisy little side affair. If no WMD are found, then the U.S. will lose much more credibility and a lot of leaders, Georgie in particular will have some "Splaining to do."

I wouldn't trash Blix, although I thought he had a bit of a political agenda, I also believed he was an honorable enough fellow and really meant and tried to find WMD. I would trash the inspections process itself. Not enough intel, too little surprise, not enough freedom to do the proper job, under-funded, under-equipped and under-staffed. They should have had a few more months to do the job, but they should have had the threat of force behind their effort to get Iraq to comply.