Sign in to follow this  
 EO

The town that disappeared - BBC news item

Since 1991 lots of towns and especially villages had been abandoned. The most sad thing is that all those facilities and enterprises which were closed during that time were closed not only due economic reasons but for politic too.

I found it quite strange that they went through the trouble of burning down all the municipal buildings. Why? Why not just leave them?

3 hours ago, Tonci87 said:

I found it quite strange that they went through the trouble of burning down all the municipal buildings. Why? Why not just leave them?

Originally they were just left. But very often abandoned buildings become common place for the rest of local teenagers who set fires just in the rooms and don't extinguish them properly.

No no, if you read the article, the old man describes how the town administration set fire to the buildings

As the last residents moved out, the local council moved in and set fire to all the main buildings.

I don´t understand why you would do this

Possibly because of asbestos? Though that's not the best way to deal with the problem...

Asbestos is fire resistant (that is the reason why it was used so much) The only thing you do by burning everything is making sure that the Asbestos gets exposed to the air

18 hours ago, Tonci87 said:

I don´t understand why you would do this

Maybe for sake of destroying the building before it will start to decay and become dangerous for occasional tourist.

Maybe they burned them to prevent criminal bears to set up shop in there and sell dope to the rest of the wildlife otherwise beats me why would they do that. It's not like you can't find enough ruined buildings if some tourist wants to have a look.

These one-industry type of towns will always be at risk to fail. Just like in the article, the only way to make it once the industry/main resource that the town was established for isn't in demand anymore (or no more of it) is to either try to attract other companies if there are other resources around or go touristy way if you have nice vistas and you were smart enough not to fuck up the nature around you.

Of course both require big investments in infrastructure because I doubt these middle of nowhere small towns had any serious work done on their connection roads/railways.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you could do with them, it's not like some hip dudes will suddenly move to make a startup in some friggin far away, remote tundra location.

The town that invested in making the snow slope and also attracted that new company is the type of smart thinking that make a place like this survive and at least have some decent living.