Sign in to follow this  
terox

Map filename convention

Heh, we are SO not using Linux for OFP now, sounds like pure crap to run.

Ahhh nice easy windows.. biggrin.gif

confused.gif?? Spaces in mapfile names for linux

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ASK about linux if you don't know instead of assuming something which just is not true.<span id='postcolor'>

It has been asked

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Dec. 02 2002,02:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, spaces DO make problems with linux, not while running the server but with using mapnames in shell scripts.<span id='postcolor'>

Its your shell script that needs fixing if it cant handle filenames that the filesystem can.<span id='postcolor'>

OFP does not have problems loading map files with spaces in them (or at least the only Linux system i have access too doesn't)

I also said that the topic wasnt closed so dont get yer hair off smile.gif

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Linux Compatibility</span></span>

Ok firstly lets find out what else you want to do with ofp map files

then the more advanced linux users out there can help to solve the problems

however if its to do with sorting them deleting them etc because the maps will be in an organised order, is it not easy to do these things manually??

Anyway, whatever you try to do is possible w/ shells, even with spaces in filename.

But it is not as easy as no-space filenames.

As the only benefit of spaces is eyecandy, I would suggest to get rid of spaces and use _ . It'll simplify the whole thing.

On a side note, I can't let say that using md5 on file names with spaces is impossible, even in scripted commands wink.gif . It is undoubtfully possible. And many current mission include spaces in their name.

Lt_Damage:

constructive post, really...

Whisper:

Prove me wrong, i'm alway happy to learn a new trick. Show me a shell script that (for example) calculates the md5 hash of all map files, looks for duplicates, matches them to a naming scheme and sorts out the falsely named ones. I can do that without problems AS LONG as the mapnames do not contain spaces.

Terox:

You wrote:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

They do not cause any problems to Linux o/s.

The o/s filesystem does not see any difference between the following examples

ctf@ 32 mymapname v1

&

ctf@32mymapnamev1

It sees both files as the same file, so i can only assume from this, that it ignores spaces.

<span id='postcolor'>

They are NOT the same file, the system does NOT ignore spaces. That is simply wrong and everyone working with unix knows that. I wrote that 2 days ago and elaborated on that point just 3 posts before yours.

Mapnames containing spaces DO work with the linux ofp server. Mapnames containing spaces DO work with all direct unix commands using shell globbing. Mapnames containing spaces do NOT work (at all or without considerable extra work, so far nobody could show they work at all) with scripts that filter maps for eg md5sum as lists. Linux admins would have to do everything manually without the possibility to script their work.

I know the topic is not closed yet, but most people here seem to be windows admins and know nothing of unix and they should base their decision on facts. When you tell them "spaces look better and cause no problems on linux" they will decide on spaces. Therefore, in a way, you are kind of closing the topic prematurely. The truth is "spaces look better, they WORK on linux, BUT they cause problems."

I think when the current (squad logo?) instability in the ofp linux server is fixed those servers will become even more popular. Many people in this forum have asked for a linux server for 17 month now...

Most gamehosters here run linux servers . I think it is best to consider the needs of the linux operating system too. Commercial game hosters will most likely not give everyone shell accounts, and the less problems there are when making scripts for web frontends the greater the possibility that this naming scheme will be widely used.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Dec. 04 2002,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know the topic is not closed yet, but most people here seem to be windows admins and know nothing of unix and they should base their decision on facts. When you tell them "spaces look better and cause no problems on linux" they will decide on spaces. Therefore, in a way, you are kind of closing the topic prematurely. The truth is "spaces look better, they WORK on linux, BUT they cause problems."<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I said: then we use underscores!

Now, what other problems do we still have here?

We are so close ... I have no problems with underscores, they look no different from spaces in their clarity.

I like the idea of adding the addons required at the end of the name, it may also please oo7vet. the more servers use this convention the better.

co@12_crimson_frost_wn (addon - requires winter nogojev)

dm@18_some_dm_nam2 (addon - requires sebnam2)

co@18_easy_path_ses (addon required = ses addon pack)

co@12_spetz_halo_vs (addon required = VS addon pack)

Its such a shame linux doesnt support capitals in file names sad.gif they would be better but out of the question.

I would still like to see a 2-charater shorthand for authors (and even if some authors share the tag) I know i often will play a few maps from one author in a row, and it helps me find them, eg I know if I see KY on my server this means its a Kyllikki map and is bound to be good (Well some are BL for Blake, but thisnt important) I think authours deserve it too - I know how much time it takes to make and test a map ...

co@18_easy_path_ses_dc

or

co@18dc_easy_path_ses

Hehe, may be nitpicking, but: linux supports capitals in filenames, only the ofp linux server doesn't (actually i haven't tried whether it does, but the readme said to convert everything to lowercase) wink.gif

Regarding other fields in the name:

IF you put other fields into the name template they have to be MANDATORY. Or else some will use them and some won't and one map may have different names on different servers.

To be able to fill in these fields they have to be standardised. As there will be new mappers and new addons all the time those have to be standardised too. For each admin to know what the abbreviation for each given mapper/addon is there has to be a central page where all standardised abbreviations for mapper and addons can be found.

This is more work for the admin (look up the names) and even more for those who make those central page and keep it up to date.

In other words, i don't think it is a good idea to put mapper names or addons into the name convention, cause it would make the convention so complex that nobody would use it. BTW: There is no need for this as the mapper can put their names into the mapname or the briefing and the addons are in the readme (for new maps) or in the server addon pack (for maps on the server) already.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Dec. 04 2002,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Show me a shell script that (for example) calculates the md5 hash of all map files, looks for duplicates<span id='postcolor'>

Well, here's a thingy I just made that moves duplicated files to "dup" directory... and works even if theres spaces in the filenames:

md5sum *|uniq -d --check-chars=33|cut -f 3- -d " "|xargs -i mv \{\} dup/\{\}

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> matches them to a naming scheme and sorts out the falsely named ones.<span id='postcolor'>

I guess this would just need a regular expression match for the file list, but im not that good with regular expressions so someone else can do that tounge.gif

Someting like that ? :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

find . -type f -print | egrep '^./(coop|ad|ctf|dd|dm|tdm|ch)+@*_[0-9]*_.*'

<span id='postcolor'>

using _ as separator

Nice one, Kegetys. But i think using filenames with spaces you are limited to piping everything through xargs -i or use find -print0 | xargs -0, which you otherwise (using no delimiter or underscores) wouldn't be.

But as i seem to be the only one seeing a problem in this i consider myself beaten.

As i wrote in the original thread i am using filenames containing spaces myself at the moment wink.gif

This is mainly for Benu

I really do know very little about Linux systems, even though i have admin status on both Zeus systems

So i dont fully understand why you need to do any scripting for map files.

In plain english, what exactly are you doing with these files and why, other than uploading them to the server mp missions folder, possibly renaming them and deleting them and obviously playing them.

It seems to me having read a few posts above that you want to run a script that renames all the maps using our convention instead of changing them manually. If this is the primary reason you need underscores, then i dont see it as a reason to use them. Every win server is going to have to rename their files manually, which does take time (Not that much though!wink.gif

As for admins having access, you only ideally want 1 or 2 admins in charge of uploading maps etc, I have found on SHOP that if all can upload them, you end up with chaos, unbalanced numbers of map types and maps that nobpody likes except the odd admin

Yes Linux OFP Servers will probably become more popular once the bugs are sorted out. I am of the understanding that they are both faster and can hold more players.

Yes spaces are for eye candy, but its eye candy on the Islands maps list that we are aiming for, among other things and it is distinctively better. Specifically if we are oing to have league tags or squad, author, addon tags etc within the actual mapmame subgroup, the we need to have the map name which will have underscores split from the rest of the subgroups

If there isn't a solution to your problem, then we will reluctantly have to go with underscores.

However if there is and we can post a small tutorial within the "Convention" template post explaining the work around so much the better

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Skunk Monkey @ Dec. 04 2002,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like the idea of adding the addons required at the end of the name, it may also please oo7vet. the more servers use this convention the better.<span id='postcolor'>

Either author or squad tag - not both, and only when needed (to avoid duplicate filenames for different missions, or to declare missions made specifically for a certain server). The addons pack is not important, as all addons needed should be in the addons pack of the server you are playing on. Rather keep it short and let the author (or the squad the map was initially made for, like in your Kylikki example) decide wether they want this or not. I recommend doing it, though.

The addons pack also wouldn't help much, as the same mission would most likely work with most addons packs if it only uses some basic and very common addons. We would end up with different names for the same map, and if you don't know the tag you won't have any chance to get the right addons pack anyways.

The island (like winter Nogojev) is not needed at all - it is already part of the filename (the KEGnoe_snow part). And everything else should be detailed on the mission's download page or in a readme coming with th mission's archive. What if I use the nam pack, the Intruder, and maybe 5-6 other addons? Would I have to list them all? No. That makes no sense. Keep everything not needed out of the name.

Spaces VS Underscores. That's up to the people using Linux. But about the small/big letters in map names - I doubt Linux would have any problems with that as far as neither the islands name or the .pbo extension (maybe only the latter) are concerned. The rest is just a name to the game - wether in small or big letters should not matter at all.

I think small/big letters in the name part (NOT in the tag!) will actually make it more legible: like 'BlackOpHALO' instead of 'blackophalo'. Therefore - keep the tag in small letters and do not restrict the map name.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But about the small/big letters in map names - I doubt Linux would have any problems with that as far as neither the islands name or the .pbo extension (maybe only the latter) are concerned. The rest is just a name to the game - wether in small or big letters should not matter at all.

I think small/big letters in the name part (NOT in the tag!wink.gif will actually make it more legible: like 'BlackOpHALO' instead of 'blackophalo'. Therefore - keep the tag in small letters and do not restrict the map name.

<span id='postcolor'>

OFP Linux server REQUIRE that every file in its directory have small letters. There is even a script delivered with Linux version which converts filenames to lowercase, used to convert mission names.

This is not an option to use uppercase, only lowercase letters are accepted.

I did not test with uppercase, but as BIS stated that uppercase could cause strange behaviours and bugs, I think it is better to keep lowercase

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Dec. 04 2002,23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP Linux server REQUIRE that every file in its directory have small letters. There is even a script delivered with Linux version which converts filenames to lowercase, used to convert mission names.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought that was just for the game files, not for missions - so OFP could find its own files. Well, can't Linux servers just use that tool - if windows (clients are always Win32) doesn't care about it there should be no extra downloads caused by this.

On the Bootcamp server I have been using naming conventions for a long time, and was nominated twice for the Nobel Peace Prize for it (damn that Jimmy Carter). I did win a Golden Globe award for my artistic flare in the naming of my mission files.

I have experimented with several different naming conventions just to see what worked the best for us. Only recently did we come to the decision to use addons. Obviously this is a BIG sticking point since different servers have their own Addon Packs, including us. I think what would really help would be to sort of standardize some addons packs and then we could cut out a lot of inter-server operability issues. I know every server has its own ideas about which addons are worthy, and so forth, but it would be a good idea to have something standard.

Instead of using underscores, how about periods? I prefer them since they look cleaner.

ctf@.32.mapmakersinitials.mapName.v1

Also, revisiting the mission types, why not make coop just c. When you start playing with long mission type tags, then it unecessarily lengthens the entire file name. Also, I think that making all map types only 2 letters is preferrable.

ctf = cf

coop = c or co

c&h = ch

dd (defend and destroy)

cv (capture the vehicle)

es (escape)

as (assassinate)

tdm = td

dm

and so forth. The escape and assassinate ones are a couple of different game types that I made a while back and I think they fit into their own category. Defend and Destroy is not the same as Attack and Defend. I do use a different name to differentiate between different kinds of Cap and hold named TW (territory war). While the 2 sound the same, in CH you actually have to take flags to cap a territory, in territory war you have to actually have more friendlies than enemies on a territory to cap it, and it's done by occupation, not taking a flag. I actually don't care if its lumped under the CH mission type though.

To sum up, 2 letters is plenty for a mission type, and periods look cleaner IMHO than underscores, plus they shorten the name. Unless linux has issues with that, it seems a better method.

Here's a more specific naming scheme for addons:

ctf.dkmm_m109adats.bas_soar.m109.stt_klr.32.mapmaker.mapname.v1

OK, I'm just kidding about that. I'm willing to go along with a general scheme so long as I get full credit for making it so I can finally beat Jimmy Carter and claim the Nobel Peace prize. wink.gif

Lol karillion you nutcase biggrin.gif

(4 posts above) I posted about what exactrly does Benu want to do with these map filenames that requires O/S scripting

(Forgive my ignorance of Linux)

It seems to me that all you need to do with these pbo files is

1) Upload them

2) Delete them

3) Possibly rename them once

As this is a major stumbling block at the moment, then we should concentrate only on this until it has been resolved

This is my preference of what we should use to split the sub groups up

1) Spaces By far and away the clearest

2) . or .. (Thanks Karillion)

3) _ as a last resort, it just clutters everything up

So lets get on with sorting this bit out

Before we can sort this out, somebody needs to explain in plain english why these pbo mapfiles need to be manipulated in other ways apart from the three i have mentioned

Then having ascertained that, we need some Linux experts to solve the issue.

If it turms out to be a real major problem then we should look at other options

For the moment lets put on hold version numbers, addon packs etc and just concentrate on this

Ok

There is a function under Linux called MD5, which calculate a number for a file, independantly from filename.

When 2 files have the same MD5 check, you are sure that the content of the 2 files is EXACTLY the same, wether they have the same name or not.

This is very usefull to check that a new mission you get is not an old one with another name, without having to test it ingame.

Some server, for example Benu's server, receive a huge number of mission, so duplicate detection must be automated. ie : new proposed missions are put in a directory, a script is run which compare MD5 check of these files with MD5 check of currently running missions, remove duplicates and validate others.

Such script make intensive use of pipe, which take the result of a function to give it as argument to another function. arguments are usually separated by spaces (and this is where pbs arise), and filenames containing spaces can screw script using simple pipes.

You then have to use what Kegetys has shown, which does not simplify the script.

MD5 check is just an example of use of Linux script

In fact, the whole problem is the number of mission you manipulate, which make manual renaming/deleting manually a long process. Which make you use script. Which make you use pipes. and so on blah blah blah wink.gif

Whis'

So basically Whisper, the only reason is to check to see if the exact same file already exists, nothing to do with OFP itself.

When i say exact same file, i mean similar map name, same map, same filesize

Windows users (of which there are many more) have to do all this manually anyway

The only locations where these pbo files are, is the mpmissions, so having all files named similar will show up those with similar names quite easily

And, if the convention is followed to the letter, these filenames will be changed, in a lot of cases to the same filename, and in some other cases to a very similar filename that will be seen in the map selection screen anyway.

I totally misunderstood what Benu's problem was, I thought using spaces instead of underscores would stop the file from being played or something as drastic as that.

Longterm the filename convention would make Benu's script redundant anyway and short term, he will have to do no more work than the rest of us.

In addition, there is a work around for him, which although requires a little more work, when it is set up does not need to be redone!

If what i have put above is an accurate interpretation, then i dont really see the argument for including underscores.

But please comment on this

No Comments for a while ...

We all agreed on something like ...

(Type)(@)(Max players) (name) ((+league/author/version if required)

no spaces until after number of players, then spaces for map name (no caps) (+league/author/version if required)

ctf@18 some ctf map (+league/author/version if required)

co@18 red dawn 3 (+league/author/version if required)

dm24 kill me quick (+league/author/version if required)

tdm24 respawn sucks (+league/author/version if required)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><u>Summary So far of

Universal Map filename template</u></span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>SO FAR</span></span>

Firstly examples

tdm 20 last_stand beta 1.1

ctf @ 24 summerparadise v1

c&h @ 30 rivers_edge v1

The actual filename is split into subgroups

map type

Addon Marker

Player limit

name

version

<span style='color:blue'>Map type</span>  <span style='color:red'>Addon Marker</span>  <span style='color:blue'>Player limit</span>   <span style='color:red'>Map name</span>   <span style='color:blue'>Version</span>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style='color:blue'>General Guidelines</span>

1) Spaces between subgroups

2) All in lower case

3) Any map that does not have a version number is tagged with default v1

<span style='color:blue'>Map type</span>

a&d =  Attack & Defend

c&h =  Capture & Hold

coop = coop

ctf =  Capture the flag

d&d = defend & destroy

rac =  race

rts = real time strategey

dm = deathmatch

tdm = team death match

ff = flagfight

tff = team flagfight

misc = anything not covered that is an obscure type should carry this  tag

If i have missed one, let me know

(If new map types come out, i will try to update the actual thread that the finished template is posted too

However the use of common sense should create a sensible tag

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style='color:red'>Addon Marker</span>

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>@</span></span> = addon

This denotes that the map uses an addon of some sort

It does not state which addon, its merely a marker that denotes the map requires more than the standard BIS installation game patches

<span style='color:blue'>Player Limit</span>

This should simply be the upper limit

eg "32" not "2 to 32" or "2_32"

<span style='color:red'>Map name</span>

This has some flexibility

If it is made up of several words, then use underscores to join them

eg last_stand

plane_frenzy

If it is a league map, then precede the name with the league tag

eg for a Euro flashpoint league map

efl_everon

<span style='color:blue'>Version</span>

I will run you through version numbers in a logical progression

1) First test map release

ctf @ riverdance beta1.0

2) Second test map release after a few bug fixes

ctf @ riverdance beta1.1

3) Third release after a few more bug fixes

ctf @ riverdance beta1.2

4) First official finished map release

ctf @ riverdance v1

5) New game patch released, changing from 1.90 to 2.0

Mapmaker - editor updates maps with new weapons etc

ctf @ riverdance beta 2.0

6) Test proves succesful

ctf @ riverdance v2

For anything that is under test use Beta x.y

For any finished releases use vx

Most map makers tend to test there map on only one server, however having a beta tag clearly labels it as such

Any maps that exist at the moment that do not have a version number should be given the tag v1

<span style='color:blue'>O/S Compatibility</span>

1)To make all filenames compatible with the two operating systems that OFP can be run on (Windows & Linux)

LOWER case should be used for everything

2) Spaces instead of underscores (This is still under discussion)

Spaces are visually  more pleasing helping to differentiate between the various groupings!

However some concern was voiced over Linux md5 scripting, due to the fact that it's more difficult to script if there are spaces in filenames.

The scripts that are being used is to check for "Identical files with different filenames

However it has been stated that there is a workable solution to it, so it looks like we will be going for spaces

<span style='color:red'>This topic is still under discussion</span>

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>@</span></span> = addon

No known problems

There was some discussion about web browsers and downloading the file, however a simple solution is not to use the @ in the zip filename if problems are found

<span style='color:blue'>Fresh Discussion</span>

Addon tags

It has been established that it is impossible to create a coding system for addons, due to the hundreds and thousands of possible mixes in addon packs, so the easiest solution was to use a marker to simply denote addons are used

Each server that uses addons tends to have its own addon packs and have various names for them.

Any map on the server that uses addons should be covered by the addon packs that the server supports, even the more common ones like gunslingers or kegety's editor upgrades

Fortunately addons are not as widely distributed among the dedicated servers as non addon maps, so having an addon tag wouldnt cause that much of a problem

The only places you could state the name of the addon pack (If you really thought the need) is either

map name subgroup

or

version subgroup

Version really has its own clearly defined system

So the best place to do it would be within the map name subgroup attached to it by an underscore

eg for vietnam addon pack nam2.0

or

eg for server's addon pack1

ctf @ riverdance_nam2.0 v1

ctf @ riverdance_pack1 v1

by using underscores in the map group, the subgroup isnt split up into further subgroups which is in keeping with the template filename structure

The use of league tags (a necessity)

would precede the actual mapname

Squad tags (optional)

Mapmakers tags (optional)

could also be incorporated here but the general feeling is that it would be better to place this info in one of the un pbo'd files

Example of the most complicated map filename that could exist on this system would then be

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>c&h @ efl_summer_paradise_nam2.0 v1</span></span>

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The three major points that have not been fully agreed on is</span></span>

1) Underscores instead of spaces (Almost agreed on)

2) Use of addon tags / squad tags / league tags

3) Version (No discussion on this at all yet

Spaces vs Underscores vs other: using xargs as Kegetys said should get around the spaces problem in shell scripts (the file system never had probs with spaces as others already said correctly), so spaces are an option. I guess i was a stubborn old bastard cause i really don't like spaces in filenames on unix systems, but it's more a personal thing than a real point. Separating fields with dots/underscores/nothing at all does cause no problems with linux, so until anyone has other points for/against field delimiters it seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Upper-/Lowercase: Windows Admins can use whatever they want (cause windows doesn't care). When a linux admin installs a map he converts it to lowercase anyway (so capitalised mapnames don't bother linux admins), and as the windows CLIENTS make no difference between lowercase and capitalised/uppercase nobody has to download the map again (so it doesn't affect windows clients). There is really no incompatibility in using capitalized names.

Version: Well, the only one to assign an official version number to the mission would be the mapper himself, so if he does i would see that version number as part of the map name. If every server admin assigns version numbers by himself we get a lot of differently named maps.

Addons: I hope once a naming scheme is agreed on mappers will adopt it for new maps. They CAN'T do that when they have to include for example ADDON PACKS (except when making maps for a specific server). And putting ALL ADDONS in the name would result in really long mission names. I think that is what the readme is for. We already have an addon tag and an readme, that is enough in my opinion. If the system gets too complicated it won't work anymore.

Do not make the version tag obligatory and especially do not order map maker how to number their versions. For one thing, if you add a version number V1 to maps where the actual version number is unknown, there will be people wondering why they have to download although they already have V1. Also most mission makers number they version continuosly (starting with 0.1 and 1.0 for the first release version) and just add a beta behind to indicate its a test version (which may alternate with finished versions several times as maps evolve). Do not try to control and regulate things that do not have anything to do with the main idea - reducing duplicate maps and to improve sorting /mission selection.

As the version is at the end of the name anyways it has no influence on the sorting - and if there's no number it is at least obvious that there is no known version number. So tell mission makers to put their version number at the end but do not add a version number just to make up for missing information. You mislead people, you do not help them by doing that.

The version number idea

We are okay using Beta as a test map marker though, yes?

The idea about version numbers was

basically if it had a version number already, then leave the version number alone, just rename the map with the version number at the end.

However by default, a finished map version would be v1 anyway.

By leaving the version out, it leads to two possible map names

ctf @ 30 riverdance

&

ctf @ riverdance v1,

if by default we always had a minimum version of 1, then this would remove this possibility.

Even the idiots out there would not rename

ctf @ 30 riverdance

to

ctf @ riverdance v1,

if they de pbo'd it and hacked it would they?

So having a default value of 1 for everything that doesnt have a version number would create a set standard

As fpr spaces v underscores can i then take it that we will be using spaces?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Terox @ Dec. 08 2002,11:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So having a default value of 1 for everything that doesnt have a version number would create a set standard.<span id='postcolor'>

but there is no need for a standard on this - also what if the version most servers play is less then V1.0, but something around 0.5 - just because the author never considered the mission finished, but it was already fun to play? When he releases 0.9 people with a renamed map version would think they have a newer map... leave the numbers to the map makers and don't fiddle with it - it doesn't help at all.

And no, you example is wrong - as the map name would only have an alternative V1 name if you start renaming it. This thread is primarly about the tag - we all agreed on that. Don't start making it more complicated - and problematic - by adding more restrictions. If a map has no version number yet do not invent one. If it has one, use that.

I agree with everything up to the version number, if we make the system flexable more people will use it

After the name either version number - addons needed - or author can be placed without effecting the sorting of maps on the server - ie sorted by category then addon then players. So after the filename should be other info the admin of the server feels is needed. This will suit more people, and the idea is for a univeral system.