Sign in to follow this  
AMDOpteron

Army food around the world, guys lets share what u

Isn't it interesting to find out and share what different armies in the world eat in the field? Calling all commrades please share what u guys eat.

Let me start first:

In the Singapore Armed Forces, the army are assigned 3 food pouches which contains the main dish, dessert and soup. The food are all prepared locally to suit the soldier's taste. The taste is great, just like homemade food but they are designed to provide enough energy for a person.

The main dish changes regularly, so one day u might have rice and beef, the next day is fish or chicken. The dessert and soup more or less remain the same. Sometimes u have mushroom cream, red bean, greenbean, beef or fishsoup. Dessert is a little snack. To warm the food u either dump it in fire or boil it and tear the pouch open to enjoy a warm meal. Another newer thing the army had is a type of canned food with an integrated stove underneath. I just need to open the top, pull a trigger at the bottom of the can and the stove will lit. So u can boil ur own stuff in it. That is it about the Singapore army...time for u guys to share!

Well...in the U.S. military there's the good old MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) for when you're out in the field.  They contain about 2000-3000 calories of well balanced nutrition (3-4 pouches of various foods) and comes with a disposable heating pouch.  The food generally tastes like shit, allthough it has improved over the years.  Sometimes if you are lucky, you can find some real treats in your MRE such as a bag of M&M's or even "Skittles".

The British Army have Rat(ion) packs, the quality of which varies greatly with each meal

Some people hate them

Some people love em

Some of em are quite nice

Some of em I wouldn't touch if it was the last bit of food in the world.

Usually involves stew, meat puddings and the like for the main meal, can be eaten hot or cold

It doesn't heat itself, and is cooked with a small Heximine Burner (little white block that you set alight on a little stove, smokeless and hot! by product of the process that makes plastic explosive)

Pussi makaronilaatikko is the way to go, also i miss pussi italianpata and pussi maksalaatikko. Or maybe they tasted shit but i was so hungry in those days that even pine cone´s would have tasted like honey.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Nov. 25 2002,07:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pussi makaronilaatikko is the way to go, also i miss pussi italianpata and pussi maksalaatikko. Or maybe they tasted shit but i was so hungry in those days that even pine cone´s would have tasted like honey.<span id='postcolor'>

I can't pass this up....

So you eat pussi in the field?  Does that make you vagitarians? biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

German EPA. 5 Different types available. Quality of food: Low

Alternative useage: Building portable lamps from cans, shoewax and cleansing strips from rifle set. Making pizza out of watered biskuits (they can be used for close combat also, they are that hard Bruce Lee would have used them as projectiles *Heijaaa*)

Not suited for warmer regions. Nuts within package sometimes breed life (Insects).

Content of one package:

- 2x Ready meal

- Cookies

- Cracker (they never "crack" -> "hejaaa!")

- Canned meat (unable to identify)

- Marmalade

- 2x Instant coffee

- 2x Instant milk

- 2x Tea

- 2x Instant juice

- 4x Sugar packages

- 1x Saltpackage

- Chocolate (good against Diarrhoe)

- Chewing gum

- Pills for water cleaning

- Multi-purpose paper :-)

- Plasticbag (keep the environment clean smile.gif )

- Refreshing towel

- Matches

Picture:

epa1.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Pussi makaronilaatikko is the way to go, also i miss pussi italianpata and pussi maksalaatikko. Or maybe they tasted shit but i was so hungry in those days that even pine cone´s would have tasted like honey.

<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

Well in the Finnish army the food usually comes from field kitchen. It's usually some kind of soup. But the taste isn't very good. If the field kitchen isn't available then you will get rations.  These are generally quite good well at least when you compare them to the field kitchen food. The content of a ration varies but it contains canned food and then some Knorr meals. It also contains chocolade, water purification pills, matches etc. One ration is ment for 24 hours. All the food in the ration is available in supermarkets.

Couple of times when we were having an exercise near barracks and the food from field kitchen was shite we ordered pizza. Delivery guy brought it to the garrison gate and we picked them up from there  tounge.gif

I like some parts of EPA though...give the coffee to the coffee junkies and take their cocolate for that wink.gif

Also the cookies are very fine IMO (one can also make bread outa them...)

Even some of the warm meals are eatable...in the bush one likes everything biggrin.gif

Then there are possiblities like making bread out of the "skin" ("Rinde" in German) of trees...sound sweird, I know...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 25 2002,19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you eat pussi in the field?  Does that make you vagitarians? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

*passes out*

I actually like MREs for the most part.

Just to name a few when I was on various bases around Ontario...Instant mashed potatoes that were so runny that you could drink them, semi-cooked baked potatoes, semi-cooked carrots, powered eggs, various meat that is less that the quality of a TV dinner, BOX LUNCHES, EPA... and a whole lot of other crap I wouldn't touch with a 10ft poll, now that I'm out of the service.

Box lunches!? At the place where we do groceries there is a big sign in front of those Lunchables that says: STOP! Lunchables Lunchmates are a lunchbag letdown! biggrin.gif

Die Alive: Lol! That was really funny, I was like WTF, they eat pussy on the field! biggrin.gif

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tydium @ Nov. 25 2002,16wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well in the Finnish army the food usually comes from field kitchen. It's usually some kind of soup. But the taste isn't very good. If the field kitchen isn't available then you will get rations.  These are generally quite good well at least when you compare them to the field kitchen food. The content of a ration varies but it contains canned food and then some Knorr meals. It also contains chocolade, water purification pills, matches etc. One ration is ment for 24 hours. All the food in the ration is available in supermarkets.

Couple of times when we were having an exercise near barracks and the food from field kitchen was shite we ordered pizza. Delivery guy brought it to the garrison gate and we picked them up from there  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There are "Field Kitchens" in the British Army, usually they are not sent on exercises (training) unless they are big ones, but are always somewhere along on operations.

They do have a flaw that became apparent in Afghanistan (illness), usually they find the best stuff available locally, sometimes flying stuff in.

The chefs in these field kitchens are professional cooks, subject now to health and safety and hygiene laws and used to be the Royal Catering Corp, now they are part of the Really Large Corp (or Royal Logistics Corp)

A funny story I heard was a pheasant making its way onto a range, and ending up Dinner a few days later thanks to the cooks biggrin.gif

(shot in the arse by an SLR and jumping/forced up into another shot effectively taking its head off)

hmmm seems that the german army's food package is pretty good and thorough eh?

You´ll only get this EPA´s if no cook is around. So if you are on convoi, guardpost, fields, Recon....

In regular service at camp you do have cooks, kitchens, field kitchens and all that. The food is in general very tasty on missions, cause kitchens officers know, that good and tasty food is necesarry to keep moral up high.

Unfortunally in some countries its not possible to get good raw materials for cooking or circumstances are not allowing a field kitchen. Then we had to eat EPA. My highscore is 1 and a half months EPA food. I got so ***** that I visited Malayan troops regularely to have some fresh food. Avoid to look behind kitchen tents, cause you´ll see things you don´t want to see wink.gif Cats are no friends for hungry Malayans. Same with dogs. Once had tasty Spaghetti Bolognese with meat. By accident I asked about the meat. It was Hyjena biggrin.gif Not that bad at all if the alternative is EPA. Anyway...soldiers are told to accomodate to situations. So did I.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Nov. 25 2002,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Picture:

epa1.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

That looks exactly like pussi italianpata but here it is in little plastic bag. Why in the bag you might ask? There are advantages eating from bag, just make a little hole with your knife in the corner of the bag and squeeze the food in to your mouth. No need for forks and no need to take your gloves off(in winter) biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Nov. 26 2002,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That looks exactly like pussi italianpata ...<span id='postcolor'>

so pussi is pasta in finnish? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ Nov. 26 2002,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pussi = bag smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL biggrin.gif

LOL c´mon pussi = BAG, OK!? tounge.gif

And you don´t pronounce it like you do in the faggy (scuse me) English language.

The meals Goeth mentioned are (loosely translated):

Pussi makaroonilaatikko = Macaroni & cheese (kind of) bag

Pussi Italianpata = Italian stew bag (Pictured)

Pussi maksalaatikko = Liver stew (NOT as bad as it sounds.)

tounge.gif

Hope this cleared things up, you pervs, you! wink.gif

Pussi actually means a small bag, there´s...damn!

Ok, yak it up...

And "pata" is literally translated "pot", so Italianpata is Italian pot...hell, I did it again! tounge.gif

The Finnish and English languages don´t seem to get along very well...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Nov. 29 2002,18:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i think finnish is more related to hungarian. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That´s true, Finnish, Hungarian and Estonian are the main languages in the Finnish-Ugrish language...family(?)

What´s funny about that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Nov. 28 2002,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And "pata" is literally translated "pot", so Italianpata is Italian pot...hell, I did it again! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lets say "bowl" from now on then  tounge.gif

The norwegian food is okay when you're very hungry.

I don't remember every component in it but here goes:

1 bag of malt-tablets (candy that tastes like shit)

1 chocolate bar (black, tastes like shit)

main meal #1; bag of fish-soupe/stew/something (shit)

main meal #2; bag of meat-soupe/stew/something (tastes okay with lots of salt and pepper)

1 dessert (can't remember what but it was so full of sugar I ate one spoon and threw it away)

The bags with the main meal is warmed on a primus/propan which hardly ever works so you usually end up eating it cold with many lumps in it. Yuck

Earlier the norwegian military had this can with meat that included all kinds of nutrition. Its called "RSP" and smelled like shit, everybody called it "dead man in a can" biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Nov. 29 2002,22:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Nov. 29 2002,18wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i think finnish is more related to hungarian. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That´s true, Finnish, Hungarian and Estonian are the main languages in the Finnish-Ugrish language...family(?)

What´s funny about that?<span id='postcolor'>

well it's not funny. but it's strange because both countries are so far away from each other.

but german belongs to the indo-german language family. which is even stranger! tounge.gif