duch3636

Spawning in bottom left ocean in custom mission

Ive created a decent size scenerio using the respawn system that works by placing the empty marker and naming it "Respawn_west". I am then placing other empty markers with triggers that change that empty markers name to "respawn west". This works fine for moving the respawn point around the map. Ive had no issues so far but now after i respawned 3 times in quick succession on a single point, i am able to move for about 10 seconds before im teleported to bottom left corner of the map under the ocean. I know this is a really common issue within arma 3, im just looking here hoping that someone knows what may be causing this or even a possible fix, thanks.

If you fail to provide a position, any position defaults to [0,0], typically the bottom left of the map. Probably one the triggers had not yet renamed any markers to it. Instead of changing the name of markers, maybe just move one marker named "respawn_west" to the various positions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, It could be case of the trigger being delayed a bit, i've had instances where text wont show up for a while even after a trigger is activated, the reason i am doing it this way is because i want the players to be able to go to different locations and respawn at the location they last visited, it was working fine until i respawned on one spot repeatedly. and i believe thats what im doing, im placing a trigger and in its init im putting;

"respawn_west" setMarkerPos (getMarkerPos "next marker");

i have several of these locations around the map.

What you could do (just to give you even moar options), is you place the "respawn_west" somewhere out of the way and leave it there.

Then you place repeatable triggers in the locations where you want  players to spawn and put something like this in their activation.  So the idea is when a player trips the trigger, it becomes their new spawn location.  Then when they go somewhere else and trip a different trigger, it updates the position.

{_x setVariable ["respawnPos",getPos thisTrigger]} forEach thisList;

And then in your respawn script (which you could add by either respawn EventHandler or https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Respawn#Respawn_Templates_2 ), you setPos the player to the location of their variable with something like this:

player setPos (player getVariable ["respawnPos",<insert default initial position here>]);

I normally do stuff this way and blackout the screen while the respawn goes on so the player doesn't see themselves teleporting from A to B.

Thanks for all the help, i actually ended up solving it by placing completely separate triggers to handle the respawn scripts as it seemed the problem areas were where i was running quite a few scripts in one trigger, i also moved the the empty respawn marker outside of the trigger area just for good measure, all seems to be running smoothly now.

• Like 1

Never mind, the issue is still present, it seems to happen the more frequently you respawn. 

I tried using a description.ext file to handle my respawn as suggested, the issue was still there and now at the beginning my player unit is instantly respawning beside the nearest friendly unit. cant seem to fix it now. Not sure how i would upload a test mission, but my system is pretty basic; place a empty marker named "respawn_west" then further ahead i place a bunch more empty markers, usually named "marker_2" or something, with those markers is a trigger that has this in its init;

"respawn_west" setMarkerPos (getMarkerPos "marker_2"); hint "Respawn updated.";

when the trigger is activated "marker_2" becomes "respawn_west" effectively changing the respawn position, i thought this was perfect but every 4th or 5th time i respawn i get teleported to the bottom left corner, to be fair i am running a ton of other scripts throughout the mission, though i have seperated the respawn script onto a seperate trigger, im guessing my only saving grace here is going to be making a description.ext file, my only issue is once its made how do i move things around in my scenerio to make it work, change any attribute settings? i have about 7 respawn points to handle but only 1 needs to be active at a time. thanks again!

Place the following in the description.ext

respawnonstart=-1;

edit:  sorry I didn't really read your issue in full.  This probably won't work.  My bad.