lawndartleo

LASER guided artillery shells

Simple question... do the LASER guided artillery shells actually work? I've found zero forum posts or how to videos that indicate they do and how to reliably execute their use. Seems there are some who claim to have no issue but many more for whom the system is not working.  We've spent a good amount of time trying to get LASER guided anything working and the only thing that has yet to work at all is the artillery. Help appreciated.

• Like 1

That works for me. You have to laze on an object (empty vehicle for example and choose guided shell or titan missile)

Hello Pierre,

Either there is a disconnect or you are doing something different.  I am referring to LASER guided.  We lase and then shoot, we shoot and then lase, we shoot and wait till 15 seconds (or 20, or 10) prior to impact and lase, we don't even bother with the laser and watch shells strike with better accuracy.

• Is there a directional component?  Do we have to lase from a position in line with the shot so that it travels overhead?
  • Do we have to lase any specific part of the target such as the top or a side facing the incoming trajectory of the round?

What I find is that if we turn on the cheater icons so that what I can see is also visible to the gunner on the arty computer and they can click on that icon and fire, its bullseye every time.  Click a little right, left, up or down from that icon and the round does not hit.

Artillery computer is something apart. I don't know exactly how it works but it's always better than any manual setting before fire.

What I wrote is, in Arma Vanilla, using support modules, for Scorcher or/and MLRS artillery, 2km far for example, so out of sight of the target, the supporting round will strike on an existing object a player is lazing. (tested in SP)

No sure you have the same result with a player as gunner. (The setting is on gunner's hand, but the final trajectory?).

On 8/17/2017 at 4:11 PM, lawndartleo said:

Simple question... do the LASER guided artillery shells actually work? I've found zero forum posts or how to videos that indicate they do and how to reliably execute their use. Seems there are some who claim to have no issue but many more for whom the system is not working.  We've spent a good amount of time trying to get LASER guided anything working and the only thing that has yet to work at all is the artillery. Help appreciated.

I've tested the arty (Scorcher) on my server. I used the Darter UAV to paint targets for another player and he hit the target every time.

I also tried it while sitting in the Scorcher and painting my own targets with the Darter and it worked every time.

It's been a while since I tried it so maybe an update messed it up?

I'll give another try and get back to confirm...

Hello,

I've just tested it in the editor, because me and some friends are having issues with this aswell.

It worked, using the designator with an AI as a gunner in the M4 Scorcher. (don't forget to equip a battery for it :) )

I came here for this and another reason. Because it looks like the guided shell stoped working as it was before. If I remeber right, you fire it at an area with a vehicle and the shell guides itself to it. It used to work when we played it the last time some time ago.

According to the wiki page (http://armedassault.wikia.com/wiki/M4_Scorcher) it should do so. But on our server and on my pc in the editor it didn't. It just went very precisly to the spot I klicked on the map.

I would like to make it clear that we are having issues with LASER guided artillery shells when playing COOP.

I can confirm that when you mark a target with your designator that the round falls precisely where you were looking when making the support call but it will not strike a lased target.

The setup

• Two targets within 20 meters to make this easy
  • Look at target #1
  • Call a support artillery strike (virtual or placed)
  • Select laser guided and confirm shot
  • Lase target #2
  • Target #1 will get blown up.

The spot on which the call was made initially will be the precise location of the shot regardless of the LASED target

Now, try the same thing with a friend firing the LASER guided shot.  What's your result?  For us the round might as well have never been fired as most often it lands well wide of the intended target, if even within earshot.

Forgive me if I'm stupid or because I'm not a nativ english speaker ,

but what do you mean with "lased"?

And I don't excactly understand your setup,

What do you mean with:

"

Look at target #1                         <= just looking at it or using the designator?

Call a support artillery strike (virtual or placed)

Select laser guided and confirm shot   <= confirm shot? at which point do you give the fire order? there or at the line above? do you do 2 rounds?

Lase target #2

"

Edit:

I tested on liberation 0.924 on a dedicated server and in the editor:

guided shells don't work

laserguided don't work properly. If you turn the beam on, call in a shot and then move the laser, it will still hit the old position.

When I tried to atack any spot on a enemy military base, the laserguided shell wont hit the spot I marked with the laser... thats strange (that only occured in liberation of course)

If I'm right, you were able to move the target in earlier versions.

Maybe someone else can give some additional input.

Best regards

Illuminate... dont sweat the English.  Most of us can't write or speak anything but English. You are well ahead of us.

LASED... laser designated.

My point about the setup is that when using AI artillery, the shot falls at the location being observed when looking thru a designator at the time of the support call and not on any particularl laser designated target away from that precise location.

oh, not used to that much love online ;)

yes same here.

So bohemia when can we expect the patch? :)

Or are we just doing something wrong.

To be tested with Titan MLRS.  Laser guided shells seems to be ballistic (even if CLGP exist). The aiming position is accurate but the shell can't alter the trajectory. On the other hand, titan missile should.