cgibson2

Arma freezes and nothing

Have had this problem but never had this problem before 1.68. Played great on 1.66 and then 1.68 came out and haven't been able to play Arma since. Just redownloaded it today, again, clean installation, verify the files, no mods - unsubscribed from all of them, and nothing. Game freezes on main screen.. nothing nothing nothing and no one at BI seems to know what is the problem.............. I have been on twitter like crazy trying to get help, the feedback tracker does not work for me or just does not like me... I wish I knew what was wrong with the damn game. Had Raptr on computer from when I got it... but changed AMD for GeForce 1060 when we first got computers... and that didn't do anything either. Our firewall, microsoft, only upon first installation, do you have to allow the firewall to recognize the game, computers are directly wired into the router... ..... 

I have idea what else the problem could be. Changed from 64 to 32 and back.. same thing, freezes and nothing. 

Specs.. 

AMD A4-7300 3.80GHz

8 GB DDR3

GeForce 1050  (Came with AMD Radeon HD 8470D Graphics... sucked whatever, changed that before we really started using them,... 2nd day bought the GeForce cards)

1TB with Windows 10 64bit

Had these specs when the 1.66 update and game was beautiful.. ran no problems whatsoever.. no lag or nothing... 1.68 happened and boom.. nothing, like I said.. 

What on earth is the problem????????? I want to play again!!!!!

Thank you very much if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Do you have a steam session, logged in, with Arma in Library?

Do you installed the last drivers for your NVidia card. Have you GeForce experience uptdated and recognizing Arma as game?

Yes to steam session, logged in with Arma in library... and yes I have the latest drivers for card, did them yesterday... and yes it scanned and recognized Arma as a game. 

See what I mean?

Did you check the local files integrity from Steam library arma right click properties?
Can you launch arma thru Arma launcher? If yes, no mods, check for the line: Steam is on line at bottom,  before clicking play button.

And btw , what are your parameters (basic and advanced) in the launcher?

@cgibson2 First, I need to ask a few questions:

1. Have you overclocked your GPU?

2. Is it the game that freezes, or the Windows entirely?

3. Doest it happen only with ARMA 3, or other games as well?

4. Are you sure your power supply is sufficient for the GTX 1050? Note that GTX 1050 is more power-hungry than Radeon HD 8470D.

5. Are you sure the game is not blocked in the firewall?

Until you get back with an answer, I suggest you try these one by one (run the game each time):

1. Try different mallocs (you can find it by opening the launcher then selecting Parameters).

2. Go to Documents>ARMA 3 and delete all its contents (make a copy first, just in case).

3. Reinstall Directx.

4. Download and reinstall all Visual C++ Redistributable packages (x64 and x86; 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2017 should suffice) and also the latest .Net Framework (4.7 or 4.6)

On 7/30/2017 at 3:03 PM, Leopard20 said:

1. Have you overclocked your GPU?

2. Is it the game that freezes, or the Windows entirely?

3. Doest it happen only with ARMA 3, or other games as well?

4. Are you sure your power supply is sufficient for the GTX 1050? Note that GTX 1050 is more power-hungry than Radeon HD 8470D.

5. Are you sure the game is not blocked in the firewall?

Until you get back with an answer, I suggest you try these one by one (run the game each time):

1. Try different mallocs (you can find it by opening the launcher then selecting Parameters).

2. Go to Documents>ARMA 3 and delete all its contents (make a copy first, just in case).

3. Reinstall Directx.

4. Download and reinstall all Visual C++ Redistributable packages (x64 and x86; 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2017 should suffice) and also the latest .Net Framework (4.7 or 4.6)

1. No overclocking GPU

2. It is just the game, once the game is shut down, windows works fine, but sometimes task manager doesn't even open

3. Only Arma 3...Reinstalled A2 and A2OA both don't freeze, same with FS17, DayZ, Hunter:COTW, none of those freeze either... 

4. Power supply is higher than what is needed for GT 1050... we were able to play the game until 1.68 and then when went to the 64bit, that is when it started, was able to play single player missions and what not for awhile, but no more multiplayer from ingame servers where I hosted and my friends joined my game (not since 1.66..worked great there... what a shame when the 1.70 game out, totally messed us up)

5. Game is not blocked in firewall...that opens first as you are trying to launch the game after new installation (uninstalled it couple months ago when couldnt play anymore...)... that opens asking to allow the game before BE even installs. 

I will try the other things you said in the next couple days.. I know its already been a few days and I appreciate the help. Just been really busy at my house. Thank you and I will let you know what happens. Thank you again!!!!

On 7/30/2017 at 3:04 PM, ineptaphid said:

Is it happening with any other games?

No. None of the other games freeze. A2, A2OA (including Invasion 1944), DayZ, FS17, Miscreated, Hunter:COTW, no freezing on these.. just when try to launch Arma 3, doesn't matter if start using desktop icon or from steam... get to the main screen, try to click on Multiplayer and that is it. Task Manager doesn't open either when Ctrl, Alt, Del... Thank you though!

On 7/30/2017 at 3:58 AM, pierremgi said:

Did you check the local files integrity from Steam library arma right click properties?
Can you launch arma thru Arma launcher? If yes, no mods, check for the line: Steam is on line at bottom,  before clicking play button.

And btw , what are your parameters (basic and advanced) in the launcher?

Yes, checked the local files integrity

Yes Use the launcher, unsubscribed from all mods as well.. thought about maybe it was a mod conflict, so got rid of them

No parameters set so far inthe launcher.. even tried to change from 64bit back to 32bit and back to 64bit... 

None of those worked... Thank you though. Someome else suggested to mess with the settings under parameters but we have tried that yet.

Thank you!!

16 hours ago, cgibson2 said:

1. No overclocking GPU

2. It is just the game, once the game is shut down, windows works fine, but sometimes task manager doesn't even open

3. Only Arma 3...Reinstalled A2 and A2OA both don't freeze, same with FS17, DayZ, Hunter:COTW, none of those freeze either... 

4. Power supply is higher than what is needed for GT 1050... we were able to play the game until 1.68 and then when went to the 64bit, that is when it started, was able to play single player missions and what not for awhile, but no more multiplayer from ingame servers where I hosted and my friends joined my game (not since 1.66..worked great there... what a shame when the 1.70 game out, totally messed us up)

5. Game is not blocked in firewall...that opens first as you are trying to launch the game after new installation (uninstalled it couple months ago when couldnt play anymore...)... that opens asking to allow the game before BE even installs. 

I will try the other things you said in the next couple days.. I know its already been a few days and I appreciate the help. Just been really busy at my house. Thank you and I will let you know what happens. Thank you again!!!!

If it doesn't happen in other games, then I think it's safe to say it's not hardware-related.

A few other things I forgot to ask:

1. At what point does the game freeze? (during the initialization, splash screens, main menu,...?) If it's the main menu, does the game world load? Do you see any graphical glitches?

2. Do you use any third-party anti-virus or firewall software?

Since you're using Windows 10 I can't be sure about this, but a while back I had issues with a Windows dll file that had a very high CPU usage and thus I got severe slowdowns in games and even Windows itself (I use Windows 8.1).Next time you run the game, make sure the Task Manager is running. Then run the game. Now go back to task manager (if it's possible!) and see if any program has abnormally high CPU usage or even disk usage (you can sort the programs by clicking on "CPU" or "disk"). If you see the program rundll32.exe then you may have the same problem as mine (I'll tell you about the fix if you do have this problem. It's a bit complicated)

Another thing you could try: Go to your Nvidia settings and make sure PhysX processor is set to your GPU and not CPU.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:03 PM, Leopard20 said:

3. Reinstall Directx.

1. Tried all settings for mallocs for both 32 and 64 bits... 

32bit Windows allocator -- was able to launch game, click on multiplayer and server browswer. I was able to fill in what I needed, internet, password, checked UPNP, went to click Host Server and the freeze.. nothing... Task Manager doesn't even work... had to restart computer on the Ctl Alt Del screen. 

32bit Intel TBB 4 -- froze when I got to where had to check UPNP

32bit JEMalloc -- froze on the Server Browser screen

64bit Windows -- was able to launch game, click on multiplayer and server browswer. I was able to fill in what I needed, internet, password, checked UPNP, went to click Host Server and the freeze.. nothing... Task Manager doesn't even work... had to restart computer on the Ctl Alt Del screen.

64bit Intel TBB - was able to launch game, click on multiplayer and server browswer. I was able to fill in what I needed, internet, password, checked UPNP, went to click Host Server and the freeze.. nothing... Task Manager doesn't even work... had to restart computer on the Ctl Alt Del screen.

64bit JEMalloc -- Froze on main screen. Had to restart from Ctl Alt Del screen, no task manager not working again. 

2. Made the copy of the folder and started game with empty folder... did this on 32 and 64 and nothing. Froze both times when got to the Server Browser screen. 

3. Didnt change anything either

4. Didnt change anything either

We got a new router a few months back, but the one before that I did not have to do any port forwarding to it like our old old one.. and I never had to do anything with this one either for other games.. not sure if that would make a difference.  When I click Host Server, I get that message '' Trying to setup port fowarding. Please wait" it just freezes with that message up and nothing happens. 

2 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

If it doesn't happen in other games, then I think it's safe to say it's not hardware-related.

A few other things I forgot to ask:

1. At what point does the game freeze? (during the initialization, splash screens, main menu,...?) If it's the main menu, does the game world load? Do you see any graphical glitches?

2. Do you use any third-party anti-virus or firewall software?

Since you're using Windows 10 I can't be sure about this, but a while back I had issues with a Windows dll file that had a very high CPU usage and thus I got severe slowdowns in games and even Windows itself (I use Windows 8.1).Next time you run the game, make sure the Task Manager is running. Then run the game. Now go back to task manager (if it's possible!) and see if any program has abnormally high CPU usage or even disk usage (you can sort the programs by clicking on "CPU" or "disk"). If you see the program rundll32.exe then you may have the same problem as mine (I'll tell you about the fix if you do have this problem. It's a bit complicated)

Another thing you could try: Go to your Nvidia settings and make sure PhysX processor is set to your GPU and not CPU.

At first game was freezing on main game screen... the animation was working though... very odd.. 

Only windows defender and the windows firewall. 

Most of the time when the game is running.. the task manager has not been working or responding. 

And....lol... not Arma 3 but on A2OA, we cannot play on internet.. it has to be on LAN. Our cousin who plays with us all the time cannot see our game at all, unless he comes to our house and plays. Why is this a problem?? We never had this problem before when we played A2OA. I have no idea what happened to where we cannot play on internet... Is this a A2OA problem?? Thankyou .. 

On 8/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, Leopard20 said:

CPU % was 54% to 65% with the game running, but it also froze while doing this. 

Set nvidia setting to GPU, it was set to Auto detect; and did NOT find rundll.32 anywhere listed. I still wasn't able to get the game to get past load screen... well, the server browser screen today is where it frooze at each time I started game. 

I think they are going to uninstall the game and leave it at that. Very frustrating. Haven't played A3 since they updated... I was able to revert to 1.66 from 1.68 but then Jets came out and messed it all up for us going to 1.70. Current version of game is 1.74.142223.

What about a clean installation? With that I mean deleting the Arma 3 folder in Documents and starting 100% like new? What about doing that? What about reverting to 1.72 and playing on 32bit? Ran great 1.66 32bit... Just an idea. Don't know if it will work though.  

On 8/4/2017 at 9:52 AM, cgibson2 said:

What about a clean installation? With that I mean deleting the Arma 3 folder in Documents and starting 100% like new? What about doing that? What about reverting to 1.72 and playing on 32bit? Ran great 1.66 32bit... Just an idea. Don't know if it will work though.  

I don't think you can revert back to an older version (unless you use pirated versions, but then you can't access online servers and the game will be way too limited). If you verify the game cache through steam I don't think clean installation would be necessary either.

OK... I did a clean install of the game including deleting all folders that were still on computer... in common and in documents... nothing, no mods.. game worked.. had to do some port forwarding though, not a big deal. BUT... only on LAN can I get a MP play game, it still freezes if I try to do an internet game... AND my LAN game CANNOT be seen... Game works though, lol... but my son can't see it under LAN or FRIENDS... there are tons of games showing up under INTERNET and what not... I haven't seen those since 1.66 (before the 64bit update)... SSooooo one problem solved but still have a problem... ugh. 

17 hours ago, cgibson2 said:

OK... I did a clean install of the game including deleting all folders that were still on computer... in common and in documents... nothing, no mods.. game worked.. had to do some port forwarding though, not a big deal. BUT... only on LAN can I get a MP play game, it still freezes if I try to do an internet game... AND my LAN game CANNOT be seen... Game works though, lol... but my son can't see it under LAN or FRIENDS... there are tons of games showing up under INTERNET and what not... I haven't seen those since 1.66 (before the 64bit update)... SSooooo one problem solved but still have a problem... ugh. 

The only thing I can think of that causes that issue is the firewall. Run the firewall through Windows Run (Win key + R) then type wf.msc and make sure all ARMA 3 exe files are not blocked (inbound and outbound)

Also, try running the game as admin.

2 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

The only thing I can think of that causes that issue is the firewall. Run the firewall through Windows Run (Win key + R) then type wf.msc and make sure all ARMA 3 exe files are not blocked (inbound and outbound)

I will try those tomorrow hopefully, maybe a few more days after that depending on what they have going on around here. THANK YOU!!!

Do I need to have the port forwarding set up? I did have it on the router, until they went to play Wargame: Red Dragon and they couldn't connect that game... thinking maybe it was on our end, not knowing at that time it was totally their problem... but I have since deleted the port forwarding I did... also, I saw a video saying I needed to add Steam for port forwarding?? I never had to mess with Steam before? But to be honest, the only port forwarding I have ever done was 3 routers ago and it was for that santa clean up game and Minecraft. .. Never had to mess with it for Arma... and we had a new router before we couldn't play.    

On 8/15/2017 at 5:01 AM, cgibson2 said:

I will try those tomorrow hopefully, maybe a few more days after that depending on what they have going on around here. THANK YOU!!!

Do I need to have the port forwarding set up? I did have it on the router, until they went to play Wargame: Red Dragon and they couldn't connect that game... thinking maybe it was on our end, not knowing at that time it was totally their problem... but I have since deleted the port forwarding I did... also, I saw a video saying I needed to add Steam for port forwarding?? I never had to mess with Steam before? But to be honest, the only port forwarding I have ever done was 3 routers ago and it was for that santa clean up game and Minecraft. .. Never had to mess with it for Arma... and we had a new router before we couldn't play.    

To be honest I have no idea what port forwarding is! (because I've never had to use it)

If you're not sure whether you need it or not, try using some other kind of connection (for example, use your phone internet through USB or hotspot). Maybe that could help. But before you try anything check the firewall first. Most game-related connection issues come down to an unconfigured firewall. (I personally had an issue with Project Reality a while ago, and the game would hang in the main screen just like your case, which was caused by the game being blocked in the firewall)

One other thing that I guess could cause an issue like this is the game server being mapped to a local host IP. This is highly unlikely though, but I guess a simple check wouldn't hurt.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (this is assuming you have installed Windows in the C drive), find the file named "hosts" and open it with notepad. Disregard the lines starting with #. Then check the addresses in front of all instances of 127.0.0.1, and make sure the game server is not one of them.

42 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

To be honest I have no idea what port forwarding is! (because I've never had to use it)

Port forwarding is setting up ports on a router to allow an application (in this case a game) through specific ports. 

On 15/08/2017 at 1:31 AM, cgibson2 said:

One thing i would suggest if your trying to play a game across a LAN is to disable/turn off your firewalls on both PCs and see if you can connect. If that resolves the issue then its firewall rules which needed to be added/changed. If that doesnt resolve the issue then its likely your router's firewall.

Also on another note, what type of router is it? Is it the type your internet provider sends or one that you have bought?

On 8/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, Leopard20 said:

It seemed last night, yeah I know, it took awhile to convince him to re download the game. Well.. I did this on both computers and there were 3 or 4 Arma3 that were listed as blocked,, so we enabled or allowed them and then we were able to connect over LAN. Here is the thing though. The one computer was fine but the other kept crashing, couldnt stay signed in.. both computers have the same specs.. as listed in original post... Today... worked fine.. were able to see the game on LAN, play together and what not.. but had to go to town.. so turned off computer. Came home, .. Game would not repsond. It was like nothing had happened to it.. kept freezing on main screen, then would let me get to the MP screen and freeze while trying to both LAN and internet games... It is like no progress at all.. but the other computer, the one that kept crashing last night.. was doing okay on Arsenal... not in game but arsenal. 

On 8/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, R0adki11 said:

Port forwarding is setting up ports on a router to allow an application (in this case a game) through specific ports. 

One thing i would suggest if your trying to play a game across a LAN is to disable/turn off your firewalls on both PCs and see if you can connect. If that resolves the issue then its firewall rules which needed to be added/changed. If that doesnt resolve the issue then its likely your router's firewall.

Also on another note, what type of router is it? Is it the type your internet provider sends or one that you have bought?

Our router is from Atlantic Broadband and is Arris.. I don't remember the model number though.. but it was "new" when to the company when we got it and it is has been a few months.. I do not though have the port forwarding done on the router.. I deleted when we thought that WarGame Red Dragon was not able to play because of what I had done (not knowing that day that the game was just down..... ) On the Internet game..when I go to the click Host Server.. Please wait while setting up Port forwarding comes up and nothing happens.. just have to restarting, but task manager doesn't work when this happens.. 

I will see about doing that with the firewall but since they are wired in, not sure if the idea works... THank you though! I appreciate all help as I am at a loss with this game.. now. he can't even get the game past main load screen again.. UGH!! 

And now.. he got to where he was able to set up a game, go into and build one in 3D editor.. and when he saved and clicked PLAY.. IT FROZE!! Do we need bigger or faster computers to play?? We were playing it fine before and I don't think any else needs to happen, but he is convinced that we need an i7, which I found an i7 7700 for $308 on amazon... I don't remember the seller.. I was going to do the upgrade but can't until January... ugh.. oh and saw something about needing a bigger hard drive?? Would he might be talking about a static drive??? Is that something to look into? Or is that just preference? 

• Consider defragmenting your HDD after downloading large updates.