Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

A video showing off Forgotten Battles at the European Flight Simulation Show last month is out, download it here. (7.6mb) All I can say is "wow" I've seen the improvements in screenshots but it's something else to see video smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 10 2002,21:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A video showing off Forgotten Battles at the European Flight Simulation Show last month is out, download it here. (7.6mb) All I can say is "wow" I've seen the improvements in screenshots but it's something else to see video smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sweet! smile.gif

Did you see those secondary explosions when they bombed the fuel depot! /* drooool

I think my favourite part was seeing the P-40 and P-47 fly. American and British planes should add a whole new dimension to MP. Right now we have the VVS and the Luftwaffe guys, soon we'll have those and USAF & RAF flyers smile.gif. All we need now is some Japanese planes. I was also glad to hear that flameouts and the such are going to be modeled in the Me-262 smile.gif. (yes, I admit, as a VVS guy that thing scares me biggrin.gif)

i loved playing with my Normandie Niemen skin smile.gif

Bah.... I cant stand these Russian planes! I'm doing the Soviet campaign right now, and I've gotten up to the LA5. I always ran out of ammo with the piddly little MiG-3, and then the P-39's cannon couldnt hit the broadside of a barn (seriously, I'd get on a planes six o'clock at about thirty yards and unload like five or six shells into his rear only to have them pass through... sad.gif ) Give me a FW190A5 or A8 anyday! I'll come home with ammo to spare, baby! tounge.gif

The IL2 missions are hard as hell too! I KEEP GETTING SHOT DOWN BY THE MAIN GUN ON PANZERS!!! Thats my only gripe with the game, the tanks cant hit each other 99% of the time, but they can knock a plane out of the sky with ease.

Just wait until I get the Me262... hehehe....

I guess Oleg upped the effectiveness of the tank main gun because he doesn't have small arms fire from troops on the ground. Unfortuantly I don't like it at all. Nothing worse then getting shot down by a tank over and over again.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Dec. 11 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bah.... I cant stand these Russian planes!  I'm doing the Soviet campaign right now, and I've gotten up to the LA5.  I always ran out of ammo with the piddly little MiG-3<span id='postcolor'>

Bah tounge.gif. My favourite plane happens to be the MiG-3 with two UB Machine guns. Pretty powerful for MG's and hardly any recoil, very often I can kill the pilot pretty quickly by aiming for the general area of the cockpit tounge.gif. I sometimes take the La-5 on late-year mp servers, but I don't like the armament as much...I actually prefer the UB MG's over 20mm's any day...They're like the Il-2 equivalent of a sniper rifle for me.

In the past two hours, my IL2 has been shot down three times by Stugs, and four times by Panzer II's, and once by a Panzer IV. I have yet to get shot down by AAA guns or enemy fighters. Its safe to assume something definently needs to be done about enemy tanks... sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Dec. 11 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the past two hours, my IL2 has been shot down three times by Stugs, and four times by Panzer II's, and once by a Panzer IV.  I have yet to get shot down by AAA guns or enemy fighters.  Its safe to assume something definently needs to be done about enemy tanks...  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, it's annoying, but I think it probably is the best tradeoff in order to have a realistic shootdown rate from groundfire, since it would be extreemely CPU intensive to simulate the volume of small arms fire you'd encounter. The designers had to make a tough choice on that one, but those uber tanks are the reason i've yet to finish the Soviet bomber campaign. It just gets frustrating. As for the fighter AI, they're just not a challenge anymore after playing online. I find them very easy to shoot down in an IL-2, all you need is patience and half-decent aim.

Thats wierd, I dont think I have ever beem shot down by tanks.

I have been done in plenty of times by AA, fighters and bombers, but I dont think I have had a 75mm shell ruin my day yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Dec. 12 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats wierd, I dont think I have ever beem shot down by tanks.

I have been done in plenty of times by AA, fighters and bombers, but I dont think I have had a 75mm shell ruin my day yet.<span id='postcolor'>

Play the Soviet bomber campaign for a bit smile.gif

I find that either you follow the other IL-2s into the attack run so the tanks shoot at them, or use liberal function of the zoom key to see which way they are facing. Attack from the rear helps a lot because it takes a while for the tanks to turn around and shoot at you. I find the only time I get shot down is when I attack the front of the tanks without looking at them first.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Dec. 12 2002,01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find that either you follow the other IL-2s into the attack run so the tanks shoot at them, or use liberal function of the zoom key to see which way they are facing. Attack from the rear helps a lot because it takes a while for the tanks to turn around and shoot at you. I find the only time I get shot down is when I attack the front of the tanks without looking at them first.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Good thinking. I always tend to follow the group until the combat area, then go off and do my own thing. I'll try your strategy and see if I get any further.

*flys off to attempt to destroy the railroad station in Stalingrad for the sixth time tounge.gif *

Also works great for attacking bombers. Let the first plane in bait all the mg fire and you can get within 150m without a scratch and just open up. The gunners of all the planes seem to consintrate on a single target, then don't fire once that plane is clear. It takes a few seconds for the gunners to reaquare a new target and I often can get right up there and hose the target down.

Now JU-87 are a different breed. The damn plane can slow roll right down causing you to overshoot like crazy, plus while it's wildly jinking across the sky the gunner will plug you like crazy, even though the plane has just gone through a 4g reversal smile.gif

COLINMAN

The count down to Forgotten Battles continues....

And in the mean time, what ever you do, don't buy CFS 3. It's bloated with bugs and feels shoddy and half finished. 3 CTD's so far, and a bloody BSOD! A BSOD on Win XP! They must have had their work cut out to implement that 'feature'

I was considering not bothering to take the CD's back to EB, but destroying them instead, expensive but satisfying.

But I traded it in for an Xbox, and installed Linux on it. Huzzah!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Dec. 21 2002,00:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But I traded it in for an Xbox, and installed Linux on it. Huzzah!<span id='postcolor'>

I suggest you turn your modem off now; the MS Competitionkeeper missiles (v7.8) are homing in on its signal

I just had one of those MP moments where I was reminded of why IL-2 is simply the best flight sim out there. I've had the experience of flying for 5 minutes without a vertical stabilizer, an overheating engine, and all the while evading an Me-109 on my tail to successfully crashland at my base biggrin.gif Right after downing a 109 in a Yak-9T, I'm hit by one of his teammates and hear the distinctive sound of some big chunk of my plane being blown away. I don't have the alt to bail so I get ready to ride it in when i realize I still have pretty good control, but by testing the controls and looking behind me I notice my vertical tail is gone, so I opt against any further offensive action and to try and make the 5 minute flight back to base. Luckily, having a less stable plane makes it easier to jink the 109 behind me, but doing so at NOE gives me a few close calls. By the time I'm 3/4 of the way home I am quite shot up and my engine is overheating. I have the radiator open, War Emergency Power, and I'm barely making 200km/h. Luckly at that point a La-5 runs into us and keeps my pursuer busy smile.gif. So I make it to base and come in for a landing at 130km/h, but my shot up plane can't take that punishment, my right wing comes off on landing and I slide violently across the field hoping everything else holds together, before coming to a stop.

You just can't ask for a more immersive or satisfying flight sim experience, trying to make it back in a crippled plane, without aerodynamic stability and a failing engine, and a pissed off oponent right behind you trying to bring you down. I really can't wait till FB, it will be improving on perfection biggrin.gif!

MadeIt.jpg

xmas.gif

I'm going to reinstall Il-2 today.

I remember taking that dinky Polish open-cockpitted airplane out and downing a 109 in MP, the wonders of granny BnZing.

Hi guys, im having problems with the 1.20 patch, it dosent work. 1.1 runs fine but as soon as i install 1.20 i cant get ingame, it loads for a while then just crashes to desktop without any errors confused.gif

My specs:

1.4 ghz T-bird

256 ddr ram

G-force4 ti4200 (newest detonator)

Whinedows 2000

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Jan. 02 2003,04:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi guys, im having problems with the 1.20 patch, it dosent work. 1.1 runs fine but as soon as i install 1.20 i cant get ingame, it loads for a while then just crashes to desktop without any errors confused.gif

My specs:

1.4 ghz T-bird

256 ddr ram

G-force4 ti4200 (newest detonator)

Whinedows 2000<span id='postcolor'>

hmmm, well, when I first got the game I had a somewhat similar problem, it took over 10 minutes to load, I figured out that my virus scaner being set on real-time scan mode was causing that.

There's a couple of new interesting development updates on the Il-2 site, they describe upcoming co-op missions for FB narrated as a story, and illustrated with screenshots. They make a pretty good read:

Winter Bomber

American Raid