Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Off the top of my head, and I may be horribly wrong here, but I think SHIFT+F1 toggles the gunsight view by default. DELETE, END, and PAGE DOWN toggle the three zoom settings.

shift+f1 for no cockpit, I believe it's ctrl+f1 to shift your head to the left to see the german gunsight.

COLNMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 13 2002,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 13 2002,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry I can't be more precise, I'm not at home<span id='postcolor'>

So you spend your time at work browing the net too huh?

Thanks for the tip.<span id='postcolor'>

Lol I'm a Computer Engineering college student smile.gif. I'm always at a damn computer smile.gif. But you're right, I should stop surfing and start coding tounge.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 13 2002,11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 13 2002,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 13 2002,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry I can't be more precise, I'm not at home<span id='postcolor'>

So you spend your time at work browing the net too huh?

Thanks for the tip.<span id='postcolor'>

Lol I'm a Computer Engineering college student smile.gif. I'm always at a damn computer smile.gif. But you're right, I should stop surfing and start coding tounge.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

Which semester?

Is it possible you are in my classes? biggrin.gif

(use PM if u want)

(I know this is OT, but probably interesting)

If anyone cares, 2 OFP fans are indeed going to the same Campus and might be going to one same class next semester! biggrin.gif

Amazing isn't it? We'll try to meet each other sometime, just to see who got more messed up by OFP. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 13 2002,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I know this is OT, but probably interesting)

If anyone cares, 2 OFP fans are indeed going to the same Campus and might be going to one same class next semester!  biggrin.gif

Amazing isn't it?  We'll try to meet each other sometime, just to see who got more messed up by OFP.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, like I said in the first PM, It's a damn small world. Lol.

Anyways, I was just at the Il2 Website, and they have some really big news on Forgotten Battles!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sturmovik Community,

Today I have two very important pieces of information regarding the release of Forgotten Battles:

1. IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles has been upgraded from an add-on to a full sequel product. Therefore, Forgotten Battles will not require gamers to own the original IL-2 Sturmovik product.

In the words of Tony Kee, vice president of marketing, Ubi Soft Entertainment, "Maddox Games has done a great job in creating two cd’s worth of new, high-quality content that exceeded our expectations for an add-on. Rather than rush a product out for the holidays, we’ll spend additional time in development to allow Maddox Games to develop the full sequel product that the content justifies."

2. The release date for IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles has been set for 20th February 2003. Please note, however, that this date may be slightly different depending on which country you buy the game in. More precise details about the exact release date for each country will be coming at the start of next year.

Discuss these issues in the forum and I'll bring you more information about the exact features of Forgotten Battles just as soon as I get them!

Cartrix

<span id='postcolor'>

That's right, it's no longer an addon, now it'll be released as a standalone! (Kind of sucks for us who bought IL-2 in anticipation of FB but...oh well). And as to it being delayed...I guess it means more time for us to wait and drool at the development screenies, but as long as they get it right smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 13 2002,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Nov. 13 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dudes, press SHIFT and F1 together and you can LOCK your aiming reticule, it doesnt zoom in either, it just stops the bob movement of the plane affecting your aim! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I LOATHE No cockpit....It's like playing a flight sim on a console...there goes realism.<span id='postcolor'>

WTF are you talking about, it doesnt loose the cockpit!!

it just places the Camera directly in front of the reticule, but you still inside the cockpit view. confused.gif

It just stops your head moving around at every movement you make!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Nov. 13 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WTF are you talking about, it doesnt loose the cockpit!!

it just places the Camera directly in front of the reticule, but you still inside the cockpit view. confused.gif

It just stops your head moving around at every movement you make!<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry if I was wrong on that, I know that either Shift+F1 or Ctre+F1 looses the cockpit.

P.S. Those stick settings from Oleg really did help! The P-39 is such a sweet bird now! I just took a little procrastination break from my studies (told myself "I'll just go into a room and play till I get shot down") Went into a full real 1943 server, took the P-39, and it took half an hour tounge.gif. In that time I scored on a bf109 with a single cannon shot, and later on an Fw190 (hit the damn thing once with the 37mm cannon and it didn't even seem to flinch, the punishment that thing can take always amazes me smile.gif ). I got to point blank range and opened up with MG's on it though, and within a second there was nothing left of it recognizable as a plane. I finally left when on my third sortie I played chicken with a bf-109 and neither of us chickened out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 13 2002,18:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ Nov. 13 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WTF are you talking about, it doesnt loose the cockpit!!

It just stops your head moving around at every movement you make!<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry if I was wrong on that, I know that either Shift+F1 or Ctre+F1 looses the cockpit.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, Ctrl F1 looses cockpit all together... that's if you don't have "Cockpit always on" enabled in difficulty.

I got much better control over the plane now with a combination of factors:

[*]replaced pots in stick and modified stick not to put pressure on pot axis

[*]connected stick to SB Live gameport instead of onboard one (huge difference)

[*]Olegs settings (minor difference because my stick was so horrible before I couldn't tell anything changed)

Now that Forgotten Battles is a standalone game, that probably means it goes from a $50 AU add-on to a $90 AU game. Pitty, but it will be well worth it. Just hope I can upgrade above my lowly GF2 MX400 soon so I can see the cool new water effects that Forgotten Battles has.

Im buying IL2 today, and im wondering if you guys have any tips or good sites to visit?

last 2 flgiht sims i played were B17 2 and European Air War. Played IL2 briefly, but that was before i had a decent joystick (I was using a joypad, the horror D: )

Now I have a Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold, which as I understand is a pretty decent joystick, well it looks decent to me. Barely used it actuall confused.gif

Grr howmad does that make me, not one shop in my town sells IL2 Sturmovik. All they have are the "top ten" games like the Sims, The Barbie game, S-Club 7, battlefield 1942 etc etc. RAR mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Nov. 14 2002,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Grr howmad does that make me, not one shop in my town sells IL2 Sturmovik. All they have are the "top ten" games like the Sims, The Barbie game, S-Club 7, battlefield 1942 etc etc. RAR  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The official website for one tounge.gif

A search there will give you patches, skins and the tactics you need to stay alive. Oh and make sure you know what you are doing offline before going online. It can be rather humbling flying online

Lol. The Barbie Game?

I was gonna buy it from some online store but since my credit cards are terminated (due to massive spending sprees I went on when I got them) I now have no method of paying online. Picked up a last copy at Gamestop at a mall for $45USD.

Unfortunately im going to have to order it online, this being unfortunate because im a very impatient person and i like to get my games on the first day i decide that i want them. Now, it being thursday if I order it online, it likely wont arrive until sometime next week >:| My one day off from work this week and now im bored sad.gif

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Nov. 14 2002,09wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unfortunately im going to have to order it online, this being unfortunate because im a very impatient person and i like to get my games on the first day i decide that i want them.<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, it's not the most popular item anymore so it's not in stores. And you are alot like me. It's like a drug addict in withdrawl. biggrin.gif

Try and find it on (region).forsale newsgroups, also place WTB: IL2 Sturmovik ad there. You might be surprised. confused.gif

EDIT: Just wanted to say, with the stick improvements I can score 4x as many kills as before with the ammo onboard. And I think there is something a little messed up about IL2 when aiming with all realism on(never tried without realism). When the plane is well balanced on target and the controls are only needed for TINY adjustments not any manouvers, the plane constantly shifts directions too much. It just gets too unsettled with any input.

Well you can download the Raven Shield demo to fill in your weekend until you get your hands on Il-2. Or the demo for Il-2 is actually pretty good as well to wet your wistle with while you wait.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 14 2002,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...the plane constantly shifts directions too much.  It just gets too unsettled with any input.<span id='postcolor'>

You'd be surprised how gun recoil affects the plane's stability.

I don't have the forumlas with me but if you take into account the general light weight WWII fighter, add the amount of lift the wings generate at 300ktias as well as the engine power at that appropriate RPM, you can figure out how much recoil will a 37mm bullet generate back on the wings if you know the approximate amount of gun powder and its combustion power.

..What was I saying again?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 14 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 14 2002,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...the plane constantly shifts directions too much. It just gets too unsettled with any input.<span id='postcolor'>

You'd be surprised how gun recoil affects the plane's stability.

I don't have the forumlas with me but if you take into account the general light weight WWII fighter, add the amount of lift the wings generate at 300ktias as well as the engine power at that appropriate RPM, you can figure out how much recoil will a 37mm bullet generate back on the wings if you know the approximate amount of gun powder and its combustion power.

..What was I saying again?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I agree about recoil... and it's actually there in IL2, but this is not actually when I am firing. It's in between shots or before... I am certain it's much easier to hold aim in a balanced flight in real life.

Same goes for racing sims, in real life you can actually drive in a very straight line and follow lanes easier than in the sim...

A little trim does wonders to holding your aim steady. Also are you firing with gunpods under the wing? The Mk 108 gunpods will shudder your plane beyond belief. I find the Mig3 very stable to fire, especially because it doesn't have that large of calaber guns. Now it takes a longer time to pour rounds into a plane, especially if you are firing from dead astern. Often you'll run out of bullets because unfortunally IL2 doesn't model internal bullet penitration and damage throught the fusalage. You hit the tail and you damage the tail. Now the best is medium aspect shot from the top where you rake across the wingroots, cockpit and engine. You usually can make a BF-109 smoke with a short shot and often you kill the pilot. Now with a Bf-109 with a 20mm or even 30mm in the nose you can hammer the tail and break it off, but it does shake the plane a lot more. Same idea hit the engine. A single 20mm or 30mm while kill it and cause the pilot bail out.

Speaking of enemy bailing out, the AAA ai is visous. I saw them hammering guys in paracutes as they float to the ground smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 15 2002,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find the Mig3 very stable to fire, especially because it doesn't have that large of calaber guns. Now it takes a longer time to pour rounds into a plane, especially if you are firing from dead astern.<span id='postcolor'>

You should give the MiG-3 with 2 UB machine guns a try. I've regularly downed bf109's with a 2 second burst from those, breaking the tail off and sending the forward half burning to the ground. Very stable and very high rate of fire. I've gotten more pilot kills in that plane than any other.

For shooting down fighters I like the FW-190 A8(4x20mm guns of goodness) and believe it or not, for shooting down bombers and transports, the IL-2M. It is heavily armoured and has 2 37mm guns which will cut up a bomber with a single hit! I remember I was doing one on ones with a Me 326 transporter. I failed to get it down while in fighters even though I sned hundreds of rounds into it, but I got out a IL-2 and brought it down with the first shot I fired.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 15 2002,05:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For shooting down fighters I like the FW-190 A8(4x20mm guns of goodness) and believe it or not, for shooting down bombers and transports, the IL-2M. It is heavily armoured and has 2 37mm guns which will cut up a bomber with a single hit! I remember I was doing one on ones with a Me 326 transporter. I failed to get it down while in fighters even though I sned hundreds of rounds into it, but I got out a IL-2 and brought it down with the first shot I fired.<span id='postcolor'>

I've seen some people kick ass air to air with an IL-2, but it really is too slow to be an interceptor. P-39 does the trick just as well with it's 37mm. Just aim for the wings on the Me326, the fuselage itself is incredibly armoured from the rear.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 15 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P-39 does the trick just as well with it's 37mm. Just aim for the wings on the Me326, the fuselage itself is incredibly armoured from the rear.<span id='postcolor'>

Brings back memories of the demo. I would play a quick mission and fly the P-39. I would come up behind a formation of Ju-88s or Fw-189s and whatch the spectacle as I opened up with the 37mm. I had never seen a flight sim soooo amazing. I can remember pausing the game after blowing up a abomber and going 'wow!' Theres a machine gun floating down! Theres a rotor! All the carnage in 3d.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 14 2002,23:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 15 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P-39 does the trick just as well with it's 37mm. Just aim for the wings on the Me326, the fuselage itself is incredibly armoured from the rear.<span id='postcolor'>

Brings back memories of the demo. I would play a quick mission and fly the P-39. I would come up behind a formation of Ju-88s or Fw-189s and whatch the spectacle as I opened up with the 37mm. I had never seen a flight sim soooo amazing. I can remember pausing the game after blowing up a abomber and going 'wow!' Theres a machine gun floating down! Theres a rotor! All the carnage in 3d.<span id='postcolor'>

I remember the first time I hear and saw the tracers fly by a plane in external view in the demo. That's when I was sold.

COLINMAN