Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Ah but thinking that way you'll never push the envelope biggrin_o.gif. Oh well, I'll do some tests later tonight and try to figure out what factors cause this and when it is safe to use.

Ah but thinking that way you'll never push the envelope biggrin_o.gif. Oh well, I'll do some tests later tonight and try to figure out what factors cause this and when it is safe to use.

Remember the old proverb- "best is the enemy of good enough" smile_o.gif

Anyhow, I'll play with it today, and if I hit upon anything I'll let you know.

@ July 07 2003,15:27)]Remember the old proverb- "best is the enemy of good enough"  smile_o.gif

Remember that proberb the next time an La-5FN with automatic engine boosting is catching you in a climb and you don't know if hitting the MW50 will give you the extra power you need or permanently reduce your power to 40% smile_o.gif.

Obviously this system was meant to be used without such fears, and I've seen enough people use it successfully to know that I'm not experiencing a bug. The boost on the Fw-190's dosen't have this quirk, but I agree with most people that it's a formidable plane when flying with a team on voice comms....but awful when solo.

@ July 07 2003,15:27)]Remember the old proverb- "best is the enemy of good enough"  smile_o.gif

Remember that proberb the next time an La-5FN with automatic engine boosting is catching you in a climb and you don't know if hitting the MW50 will give you the extra power you need or permanently reduce your power to 40% smile_o.gif.

Nah, that part's easy. Just make sure your fuel mixture is at the nominal setting and I doubt you'll see any problems.

Do you have any concrete numbers on the right mixtures for different altitudes? I just set it to 120% at low alt if I have the fuel to spare, 100% between 1000 and 2500, and 80% anywhere above that. Obviously I try to stay low so I don't change it all that much, but it's a pain when I have to follow someone up and the first sign of wrong fuel mixture is low RPM's and a trail of smoke from the exhaust.

*nod* Guess I'll test that too when i have some time. This sim could have used a manual the size of Falcon 4's. Unfortunately the days when sims came out with manuals that detailed seem to be long gone sad_o.gif.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that boost may blow engines if applied below certain altitude - maybe 2500m?  

Sorry... I forgot the details. sad_o.gif

I seem to remember reading somewhere that boost may blow engines if applied below certain altitude - maybe 2500m?  

Sorry... I forgot the details. sad_o.gif

That's only in the 109E7/Z9, if I recall.

Well this is damn strange....I just gave that bf-109G-10 and it's MW50 as much punishment as I could....and it just kept going and going. Just the other night I used it in combat at about the same altitude1 (1000-3000 meters) and I had that strange loss of power with no overheating after using the boost...I was not hit, and I know I didn't touch the mixture. Here I even tried to overrev the engine by diving with the boost activated, and evey time the airframe would give out before the engine did (after several progressively steeper dives and climbs).

Oh well, if anyone cares as to the amount of additional power the boost provides, here's what I found:

100% throttle - 24000 RPM level flight, 22000 RPM climbing

110% throttle - 26000 RPM level flight, 24000 RPM climbing

110% throttle + boost - 29000 RPM level flight, 26000 RPM climbing.

Same deal here. As soon as you mentioned it, I did my damnedest to break the engine, but nothing worked- it performed like a champ.

Yeah I even tried random combat maneuvers, and activating/deactivating boost as quickly as I could. No spiking of RPM, nothing. Guess I'll chalk this one up to a couple of unnoticed MG hits to the engine.

*edit* LMFAO

P.S. Check out the Ubi forums, the natives are getting restless biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

gimme.jpg

if he touches a single hair of the kitten , i kill him !!!!!

tounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

LOL well, the forum police are sure being kept busy....3 patch threads have been deleted in the past 5 mins or so.

Anarchy I tell ya, it dosen't help the fact that it's known that the patch is as good as finished, and UBI is testing it with no communication with the customers for weeks now....

Ha, I'm browsing through the FB forums after avoiding it for a while (my gag reflex needs a break now and then), I'm noticing that although things are usually hostile over there, Ubi is looking at a particularly pissed off group of simmers. And of course I'm finding it all absolutely hysterical tounge_o.gif

Looks like the hostage kitty is free to go

Quote[/b] ]News:

We are working on the final version of the patch now. Probably will finish on this week and will begin to test then on the next week.

I hope that soon it will be released.

Right now we also works over free add-on with the planes that will comes some later after the patch.

Probably one of the planes there will be flyable P-51D.

Thats all for today.

Screens shots on friday.

Oleg Maddox

1C:Maddox Games

No flyable P-51D in this patch though

now all the people who just wanted an update on the patch now will just want the patch, and the flamers and trollers will continue to love it, and things will continue much as they have ever since Ubi adopted a unified board architecture for all their games.

Translation of a discussion of the leaked patch from Russian forums:

Quote[/b] ]ROSS_Youss wrote:

Last Three days of flying on patch gave me an unequivocal conclusion – none of the red plane 41-42 years can take on the blue plane in an in an equal fight (under condition of active use of a vertical maneuver (for Blue side - me ) ).

Except any case of absurdities and accidents (such as head-on, shooting from 600m and the German pilot hanging in stallfight )

1941 models - chance of a victory against 109E or 109F

Yak-1 - 5 % = stalling/spinning dumb-ass

Yak-7b - 10 % = heavy stalling/spinning dumb-ass

MiG-3 - 0 % = fast flying on a straight line Ransom lighter

LaGG-41 - 0 % = heavy, stalling/spinning Ransom lighter made out of cardboard

And - 16 - 5 % = heavily armed old weakling

And - 153 - 0 % = linen old weakling

Model 1942 - chance of a victory against 109F or 109G-2

Yak-1b - 40 % = the first chance of the VVS

Yak-9 - 30 % = the second try – no cigar

La-5 - 25 % = dim-plexiglased misunderstanding

P-39N - 40 % = the second chance from Uncle Sam

Model 1943 - chance of a victory against 109G or 190A-4

La-5F - 50 % = the first equal fighter for the VVS

Yak-9D - 40 % = heavy replacement for Yak-1b

La-5FN - 60 % = the improved version of the first fighter

Yak-9T - 25 % = let me catch up and I will shoot

LaGG-43 – 55% = a refutation of a rule " the good plane could not be named LaGG"

Did not have time to fly on-line. Flu against JG51, JG27, SLI.

I-153 and I-16 climb rate was cut almost twofold. For early Yaks to get to more 400km/h - it is problematic - unless in dive... Red plane of 41-42 spin/stall at the slightest pretext... Yaks break in a dive at 650km/h... Bf109F-4 and G-2 – like Mercedes – press the gas pedal and you are departing into space.

I have no clue what VVS is going to do in 41-42.

you mean 'Ronson' lighter. smile_o.gif

Nicknamed as such because Ronson's motto is that one of their lighters would "light the first time- every time."

tounge_o.gif

I should have added it's not my translation. I mean, I could do it, but by the time I was done the official patch would be out  tounge_o.gif

LMFAO

"Fw-190 Forward visibility fixed"

highveiw.jpg

The Alpha version of the Il-2 User's Guide has been released. (a 124 page, 768kB PDF). Just started browsing it, looks good so far. A proper manual for a sim that lacked it, being worked on by the community.