Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

@ Oct. 09 2003,17:51)]
Did you guys heard that 1C is making two new games: one is essentially IL2 on the West Front due out in 2004, and the other is a mystery title (i.e. nobody knows what it's about) and is due out in 2005.

do you mean... this?

No, Texas Pete. The new title for 2005 is another flight sim. Wartime Command (ex-Battlefield Command) is due out this spring.

No, Texas Pete. The new title for 2005 is another flight sim. Wartime Command (ex-Battlefield Command) is due out this spring.

Well, for one I say it's time we get a new Korea sim. How long has it been since MiG Alley? Man, I hope that's what Maddox has in mind

Well, for one I say it's time we get a new Korea sim. How long has it been since MiG Alley? Man, I hope that's what Maddox has in mind

My sentiments exactly. There are never enough Korean War sims, so I'd completely be in favor of a new one (especially with 1C doing the dev work)

Korean War? Eh... maybe it could be fun. I wish someone would fix Strike Fighters to make that fun. I think the years between Korea and Vietnam were a bit more interesting.

Korean War? Eh... maybe it could be fun. I wish someone would fix Strike Fighters to make that fun. I think the years between Korea and Vietnam were a bit more interesting.

Yeah, what with all those massive air battles going on and everything... tounge_o.gif

Oh C'mon! A Korean War sim would be extreemely interesting. You have the very latest equipment from WW2 meeting the new Jet age technology - P/F-51's, Yak-9's, Yak-3's, B-29's, IL-10's (The ultimate development of the IL-2) P/F-80's, P/F-84's, F-86's, MiG-15's...You see the emergence of the US philosophy of rapid fire low caliber AA guns (6x.50 cal on the F-86). and the Russian philosophy of slow firing, heavy caliber weapons (2x23mm + 1x37mm on the MiG), and none of those noobish AA missiles smile_o.gif

I prefer the "Oh Fudge" factor you get when those four AIM-9B's fail to acquire their target and THEN you have to go to guns. Guns are for sissies. Unreliable guided missiles - those are a real man's toys. smile_o.gif

Edit: You're still Mr. Cynicism to me, skool boy. tounge_o.gif

I prefer the "Oh Fudge" factor you get when those four AIM-9B's fail to acquire their target and THEN you have to go to guns. Guns are for sissies. Unreliable guided missiles - those are a real man's toys. smile_o.gif

You mean the "Oh Fudge" factor the crewmembers of earlier model F-4's felt when they had fired all their unreliable missiles at a MiG-17 and then realized their top brass had decided guns were not real men's toys? wink_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Yes. That's exactly it. The pilots of those F-4Bs were real men, not like those pansies that flew in the early '50s. tounge_o.gif

Yes, nothing as manly as the "dogfighting is dead, we have guided missiles!" attitude  biggrin_o.gif. Yeah, that worked out well, funny thing is, it's happening all over again.

No thanks, I'll continue being a sissy and taking the time to aim my shots when possible, as opposed to letting some homing device do the work for me:

Precision1.jpg

Precision2.jpg

Precision3.jpg

smile_o.gif

What the hell? The indians are attacking? crazy_o.gif

It's a setting in the configuration file that I use sometimes to check my gunnery when playing back mission tracks, it shows the path of damage caused by bullets/explosions as arrows.

Arcade=1 or something to that effect

Can anyone recommend some good servers? I like adversery or coop modes, but the most important thing is that they are noob-friendly (the noob being me) and that their games have mission objectives (i.e. not just dogfighting without any goal but killing as many as possible). If it's usually full with (nice) people and has a good ping from Europe that's even better.

I found GreaterGreen to be a good server, but does anyone know other, similar servers?

For a good DF server I used to play on Aviar's server on HL, but then I got into The Forgotten Wars Virtual online war, and played nothing but online. However, between school,work, moving, going from DSL to a 56k connection, I haven't played it  (or any online game for that matter) in well over over a month, and their server seems to be down rock.gif. You should do a search for some other Virtual Wars hosted on HL, very imersive and very rewarding to be flying with and against real humans using voice coms.

I have run in to some trouble with the campaign sad_o.gif I get a mission to defend my base, i am number 1. I and my squadron shoot down the attackers but the missions starts with them all most over the airfield so stopping them from bombing the airfield is no option as i dont even have enough time to take off before that happens. Yet when i end the mission, having shot down all of the attackers, I can only chose refly, not apply sad_o.gif Anyone have any idea if there is anything you can do against this or that i am just going to have to scrap a campaign that was going great?

I recently just got back into flight sims after buying a copy of FS 2004 after upgrading my PC. Remembering my bad experience with CFS 3 (no heavy bombers in Europe?? WTF?? No mission editor?? WTF??, and so on), I decided not to get it again, even with patches and a better PC. Is 'IL2; Forgotten Battles' worth getting? Is the terrain actually in the same scale and shape in-game as it is IRL, like in FS 2004? It's getting cheaper, so I might as well pick it up, but being a university student living away from home and paying about $12,000 a year, you can understand I'm on a tight budget. And 'Hidden & Dangerous 2' should be in North Bay by Wednesday, so I may wait a while to get it, if I do.

Tyler

Is 'IL2; Forgotten Battles' worth getting?

Yes smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is the terrain actually in the same scale and shape in-game as it is IRL, like in FS 2004?

Yes smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

It's getting cheaper, so I might as well pick it up, but being a university student living away from home and paying about $12,000 a year, you can understand I'm on a tight budget.

I know that feeling, I'm a college student living away from home and I'm only making just over $7000 a year

tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

What I leave the forum for 6 months and the only thread I praticipate in dies? What gives smile_o.gif

Anyways has anyone tried LOMAC yet? The release is going well so far.

Well, maybe people did not post for similar reasons you didn't. smile_o.gif Like being too busy to play IL2.

I got my copy in a games collection (Ubi Soft's Gold Games 7) - cost me about 30 Euros and also contained Ghost Recon, Morrowind and seven other games. I would have been willing to pay more, but who'd say no to a good deal? ;)

Anyways, it shouldn't be hard or expensive to come by, and it's worth every Euro/Dollar you need to shell in to get it.

tell you what, I've upgraded my cpu to a AMD 2500+ that I overclocked to 2.25ghz and man, FB now runs smooth in perfect mode. Damn does it look good. I can't wait for the addon, then the BoB sim Oleg is now working on. Sounds amazing.

Right now I'm playing through a IL-2 campaign. I can't believe I've had this sim for years and never tried the ground pounding.

Funny thing is with LOMAC and flying the SU-25 it's pretty much the same thing, just faster smile_o.gif Who needs a stinkin' HUD?