Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

K4? I've always been a MiG and Yak player myself. Never went for the fancy smancy Goimen planes.

It climbs like a homesick angel- which is good because it turns like a drunk man tounge_o.gif

For those of you who can download insane amounts of video with relative ease (I downloaded these at college on a portable hard drive ), you simply must check out these two videos of IL-2 Forgotten Battles gameplay:

http://www.ubisoft.com.cn/Information/Lomac/IL2FB_NEW.wmv (140mb)

http://www.ubisoft.com.cn/Information/Lomac/doffbv2.wmv (240mb)

After watching the second one I am very tempted to get Track IR...simply amazing!

I downloaded the patch but i have no clue as to how to install it sad_o.gif anyone here have an idea?

For those of you who can download insane amounts of video with relative ease (I downloaded these at college on a portable hard drive ), you simply must check out these two videos of IL-2 Forgotten Battles gameplay:

http://www.ubisoft.com.cn/Information/Lomac/IL2FB_NEW.wmv (140mb)

http://www.ubisoft.com.cn/Information/Lomac/doffbv2.wmv (240mb)

After watching the second one I am very tempted to get Track IR...simply amazing!

I'm only getting a 8k connection on my 1mb line at home. I think I'll pop into town, and get my mobile phone sorted. (I bit through the SIM card, don't ask how!)

Ok so i installed the patch but now it doesnt see my joystick anymore? Anyone have a clue?

Ok so i installed the patch but now it doesnt see my joystick anymore? Anyone have a clue?

Well, what Joystick are you using? rock.gif

Thrustmaster X-fighter, but it has allready been solved smile_o.gif something with the patch messing up conf.ini etc smile_o.gif

Did you guys heard that 1C is making two new games: one is essentially IL2 on the West Front due out in 2004, and the other is a mystery title (i.e. nobody knows what it's about) and is due out in 2005.

Did you guys heard that 1C is making two new games: one is essentially IL2 on the West Front due out in 2004, and the other is a mystery title (i.e. nobody knows what it's about) and is due out in 2005.

Yeah supposedly about the battle of britain (dont know if its going to be beyond) which i really like smile_o.gif though exploring a theater of combat i knew litlle about in the original title has been fun smile_o.gif

And there's also the fact that the development updates for Forgotten Battles are showing Zero's and palm trees...

do you mean... this?

BTW, I just got FB installed on my system again and got the 1.1b patch...playing an I-16 campaign, and I seem to have ran into some engine management issues that were not there before. Played two missions so far (a scramble and a CAP), and both times I suffered some serious loss of power after fighting my way through a formation of He-111's. I did not overheat my engine for long in either case, and was not smoking. I don't think it was negative G related - I could be wrong, the second time I restarted the engine mid flight and it seemed to give me a bit more power for a short while....but that could also be due to the fact that I had just finished clearing a hill (barely, not a good time to be doing 140km/h) and was coming down the other side looking for a stretch of road to land on.

Both times I was fairly shot up, but i've never experienced this in the I-16 before this patch, and now it's happened twice in a row. Any ideas what I might be experiencing?

I had the same thing but i believe i ran out of fuel (call me stupid) i cant find the fuel gauge on the I-16 which is actually my favorite plane in the cannon version smile_o.gif

hmm, well, looks to me like I probably just took a few too many hits around the engine, or I overheated it too much trying to keep up with the bombers. I just had a fairly long dogfight with two groups of bf-109's, and the engine didn't let me down. One bf-109F2 and two bf-109E7's to my name in a Type 18 I-16, not too shabby smile_o.gif

*edit* supah, what you're most likely experiencing is fuel starvation due to pulling negative G's, which happens in the I-16 and the earlier model Hurricane. Try not to push down on the stick too often, and next time that happens, just restart the engine.

Indeed not to shabby in the machine gun only variant of the I-16 i am useless. I need the cannons to bring anything down. Ive sank all my ammo in to a stuka in the machine gun only version and no splash.

Quote[/b] ]*edit* supah, what you're most likely experiencing is fuel starvation due to pulling negative G's, which happens in the I-16 and the earlier model Hurricane. Try not to push down on the stick too often, and next time that happens, just restart the engine.

Tried restarting the engine, as i was rather pissed off. Didnt work. I hardly ever pull negative G. if i do i hear the RPM reduce, i know its due to it not having an injection engine (i took IRL flying lessons) i back down. but its after a while smile_o.gif By now i have progressed to the LA-5. which gets on my nerves due to it only having cannons and thus very little rounds ...

Gotcha, so we both might be experiencing something else. I seriously doubt it's lack of fuel though, that would require flying for a couple of hours or more.

PS, if armament is a concern, try the LaGG-3 as opposed to the earlier La-5, but you'll be sacrificing power and agility (certainly not durability). But seriously, those two 20mm are all you need, and as far as the Soviet made planes go, there isn't much better weapons wise from the La-5 till they Yak-9T or the La-7 with 3x30mm. Heck, I mostly fly the Yak-3 in later years, check that one out if you want to see a small ammo capacity smile_o.gif.

Gotcha, so we both might be experiencing something else. I seriously doubt it's lack of fuel though, that would require flying for a couple of hours or more.

PS, if armament is a concern, try the LaGG-3 as opposed to the earlier La-5, but you'll be sacrificing power and agility (certainly not durability). But seriously, those two 20mm are all you need, and as far as the Soviet made planes go, there isn't much better weapons wise from the La-5 till they Yak-9T or the La-7 with 3x30mm. Heck, I mostly fly the Yak-3 in later years, check that one out if you want to see a small ammo capacity smile_o.gif.

I like the La-5 allot coming from a I-16 and P-40. I used to get majorly pissed off seeing bf-109 extend away from me and having no response to that but waiting. But i survived and got some kills (76 in one campaign and i am now in 1942 leningrad campaign). With the La-5 i can outclimb most of my enemies and getting to the bombers is a breeze. I love it ... its just against fighters it lacks ammo and you have to make every round count. I am not good at that smile_o.gif So thats my short fall. I still love this game. It teaches you to use your strenghts allot!

its just against fighters it lacks ammo and you have to make every round count. I am not good at that smile_o.gif So thats my short fall. I still love this game. It teaches you to use your strenghts allot!

The Gif in my sig was taken from an online track, I was flying an La-5. Just get close enough and a one second burst is all you need, as you can see smile_o.gif.

The Gif in my sig was taken from an online track, I was flying an La-5. Just get close enough and a one second burst is all you need, as you can see smile_o.gif.

I have kills like that, i call them lucky shots smile_o.gif i make shots like that but i cant reproduce them. I am not that good smile_o.gif Mainly i make kills from 300 meters away by pouring rounds in to my target and watching its engine explode after a while smile_o.gif

Mainly i make kills from 300 meters away by pouring rounds in to my target and watching its engine explode after a while smile_o.gif

Don't pour rounds, learn your target's soft spots and aim them well:

He111Kill.gif

Don't pour rounds, learn your target's soft spots and aim them well:

He111Kill.gif

Man watching that is depressing biggrin_o.gif do you actually miss a round?smile_o.gif what are you shooting at? It looks like something two engined .... bf110 or ju88? smile_o.gif I see you shoot three times and i see three hits ... thats above my marksmanship skills smile_o.gif But i think its better to talk about this on MSN (supah@chaotic.nl) otherwise it might be considered spamming smile_o.gif

I fired more than three times, you can hardly see the MG rounds on that Gif, and it was an He-111. Anyways I added you, but I doubt a discussion about FB on the FB thread is spam smile_o.gif.

The last hit with the cannon round .... Hitting the wing like that ... must have been luck? :S

The last hit with the cannon round .... Hitting the wing like that ...  must have been luck? :S

Nope, you have to realize that to make the gif i played the track back with the cockpit turned off , so that isn't just what I was seeing trough my gunsight....that's what I would have seen ahead of me if I had been playing with cockpit off (cropped at the sides). That wing was looking pretty large, you see me turn away at the end so as not to fly into it.