Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Well I'm learning to fly differently. In IL2 you had to do the mission yourself and chase the planes across the map shooting them down. With the new ai that's suicide. You really have to stick with your flight if you want to survive. I find dogfights are very short and brutal with one side or the other gaining the other hand then double teaming the enemy and swatting them out of the sky. Very nice smile.gif

Tex can you use perfect terrain? I find that it studders and locks up even with a 1.8ghz AMD cpu/gf4/1024mb ram. Very disapointed that a system like this has trouble with it sad.gif Also I find the finland map takes forever to load. 2-5minutes after the counter reaches 100%. Once it is loaded it runs fine, but damn that's a long time.

COLINMAN

About the only time I can use perfect terrain is out in the countryside with absolutely nothing going on. So no, no perfect terrain for me.

On a side note, I had no idea the P-39 and P-40 were so fragile. I've set them on fire with just machine guns, and 4 cannon shells almost guarantees you a kill. One time (although it was probably just blind luck) I made a deflection shot against a P-40 with just a one or two MG17 rounds and imagine my surprise when I saw that big old propellor just stop. I think this pretty much sums up the look on my face:

wow.gif

And of course, the Migs are still bursting into flames quite nicely  tounge.gif

Ha! I have it, 5 whole days early! (US Version. Got someone to pick it up for me when they were in New York).

Installation commences!

My copy shipped outta Amazon today. Till someone delivers it for me from the States....................................

Oh no! wow.gifcrazy.gifwow.gif

I bet there won't be any flights as of Wednesday night for a while. wow.gifsad.gifconfused.gifsad.gif

Whats the link to their forums? I want to see if there is any way to set the mouse to use as the stick instead of a joystick.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Mar. 17 2003,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats the link to their forums? I want to see if there is any way to set the mouse to use as the stick instead of a joystick.<span id='postcolor'>

IL-2 Website

Trust me, even if it IS possible, you don't want to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 17 2003,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Trust me, even if it IS possible, you don't want to.<span id='postcolor'>

If you have a trackpoint pointing stick, like I do on my notebook, you just might. Nowhere near a joystick but a major improvement over using the arrow keys.

Wheeee....I just found out that range matters in FB - actually I knew that already, I've seen a few development screenshots where bullet penetration was demonstrated in FB. but till now I didn't realize just how much difference it made! during the past few missions, I've been surprized how easily enemy planes went down when I shot them from point blank range...so I decided to stick to opening fire only when I start worrying that a middair collision might occur biggrin.gif. Goddamn! it only takes a split-second tap on both firing buttons, and a 109 goes down! Not to mention that at that range you just can't miss. I just took down 3 bf-109F-4's and an He-111 (ok, I'm not suicidal, I didn't try getting that close to the Heinkel biggrin.gif ) and I still had ammo left over. My little discovery got me promoted to Kapitan smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Mar. 18 2003,03:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but how do I play multiplayer?<span id='postcolor'>

Download the HyperLobby Client Here:

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/

I've been too busy to try out FB multiplayer, been enjoying the campaign too much (in what little free time I have). BTW Tex, let me know when you're ready for that rematch smile.gif.

Crushing Commies for the Fuhrer

Garghh, first sortie, and my 4 ship flight of 109 F4's gets swamped by 6 I-16's, 6 Yaks, and 6 MiG's.

Although long range cannon bursts at MiGs usually chops the wing off, or sets the bugger on fire.

Those I-16's though... Green tracer everywhere, and the only way I can get a clearshot without being hit, is to extend 1/2 a mile, turn back, and get a snapshot on the buggers. (And those things soak up ammo!wink.gif.

The engine damage system is great now though. I managed to plant a cannon round in a I-16 prop hub, and it siezed up, trashing the engine.

Has anyone tried the bombers yet? It's pretty cool trundling along in a He-111, and you get proficient at damage management very quickly....

The AI could still do withsome work though. It's far too easy for flights to get stringed out, and for bombers, that equals death.

Well, some things don't make sense to me. I just started a Finish campaign and decided to fly the Hurrician. Now I was in a dogfight just pumping a Lagg-3 full of shot and the bugger kept on going, now the friendly ai seems to be the greatest kill-stealers of all time smile.gif 2 buddies came swooping in and getting him after I spent 5 minutes wearing him down mad.gif Now I've put a good 5-10sec of fire into the plane without doing any significant damage vs attacking some SB-2 bombers where a good 2 seconds brings one of those puppies down. Those Laggs are tough

COLINMAN

Try going vertical Badger- energy-efficient climb for a while, then go up into a hammerhead (that is if they havent already broken off)

Not to worry, I've found a new ride..

The Hurricane! Its a shame the Finns only have the b wing version. A C wing would be far nicer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Mar. 18 2003,17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Forgotten Battles for only 15 Euros (Å9.95)

If you're looking to buy it, the link above seems to be as good a place as any, 15 euros seems damned cheap to me!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm...that's not Forgotten Battles, that's Il-2. The game that IL2: Forgotten Battles is a sequel to, that's the reason it's so cheap tounge.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 18 2003,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Mar. 18 2003,17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Forgotten Battles for only 15 Euros (Å9.95)

If you're looking to buy it, the link above seems to be as good a place as any, 15 euros seems damned cheap to me!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm...that's not Forgotten Battles, that's Il-2. The game that IL2: Forgotten Battles is a sequel to, that's the reason it's so cheap tounge.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

You sure? I agree the description is for IL2 but the release date is 21 March 2003, and the title says "Il2 Sturmovik The Forgotten Battles".

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Mar. 18 2003,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You sure? I agree the description is for IL2 but the release date is 21 March 2003, and the title says "Il2 Sturmovik The Forgotten Battles".<span id='postcolor'>

Well, the title might say Forgotten Battles, but everything else describes the original. I'm positive the price is also a mistake. Even the minimum specs listed are for IL-2.

Minimum requirements for Forgotten Battles according to that website:

Processor 400 MHz

Windows 95

128 MB RAM

100 MB Free Hard Disk Space

4 x CD-ROM

4 MB Video Card

Minimum Requirements for Forgotten battles according to official website:

Windows®98/ME/2000/XP

Pentium III 800 or better

256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

3D video card (DirectX 8.1 compatible) w/32MB RAM (64MB recommended)

Sound Card (Direct 8.1 compatible)

DirectX 8.1 or higher (included on disc)

4X CD-ROM or better (Not recommended for use with CD-RWs)

Internet connection (56 kbps or better) or LAN for multiplayer

Hard Drive Space 1.1 GB

I pity the fool who buys FB from that website - at whatever price - and tries to install it on his Pentium II 400 tounge.gif

I'm not convinced. smile.gif Take a gander at some of the other prices, it might just be they're using the old details for lack of any others. (Splinter Cell for Å15, about 25 euros, and a few other cheap ones going there).

By the way, I can't find the Euro key on my keyboard tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Mar. 18 2003,18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, I can't find the Euro key on my keyboard tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

AltGr+e=€

edit:

AltGr+5=€ (US keyboard)

AltGr+u=€ (Hungarian and Polish)

By the way, anyone know where I could find some information on specific WW2 VVS squadrons? I've been trying to do some research into the 6th GvIAP, which I'm currently flying for, and keep coming up with nothing. I'd like to know a bit about the history of it (like for example, when they were re-equiped with something other than I-16's tounge.gif - I just had my first engine failure of this campaign last night, and I figure it's only a matter of time before it happens behind enemy lines).

Incidentally, I saw some lend-lease fighter's for the first time last night, my flight ran into some P-40's getting cut up by some 109's...looked quite odd at a distance - it seemed like they were all 109's attacking each other...in fact, I almost attacked one of the P-40's by mistake (good thing I open fire at close range). I've also noticed that I haven't seen any bf-110's in about 10 days (August 22, 1941 now)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 18 2003,17:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Mar. 18 2003,18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, I can't find the Euro key on my keyboard   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

AltGr+e=€<span id='postcolor'>

Cheers!

It's strange, I'm having a hard time getting on with the game. I think its got something to do with the amount of time I put into IL-2. (Too much). I just can't sem to find a campaignand aircraft I'm happy with.... it just seems to get repetive.

As for the bombers, I'm staying clear till it gets patched. They need a hell of alot of work.

I've come to the conclusion that the bomber AI and the enemy FM's are what really need looking in to. I dont consider myself a Luftwhiner, but its physically impossible for my FW190 to get a Yak9 (or god forbid, a Yak 3) off my tail. I get shredded when I'm flying hammerheads, and the only way I can get them off my tail is to make them run out of ammo. It seems cheap, but its gotten me alot of kills so far smile.gif

Online I hear that you can simply boom and zoom and the FW190 accels in that aspect, but thats nearly impossible to do against AI. They just constantly climb up to your altitude, and wont get off your tail no matter what crazy.gif

And I agree with Badgerboy, the bombers need a bit of polish until they can fully be used to their full potential.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Mar. 18 2003,18:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I dont consider myself a Luftwhiner, but its physically impossible for my FW190 to get a Yak9 (or god forbid, a Yak 3) off my tail. I get shredded when I'm flying hammerheads, and the only way I can get them off my tail is to make them run out of ammo.  It seems cheap, but its gotten me alot of kills so far smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

don't you think maybe there was a reason behind the directive the Lufwaffe issued to it's pilots to not engage late war Yaks at low altitude?

"On 14 July 1944 a group of 18 Yak-3s ran into a flight of 30 luftwaffe fighters. During the course of the battle, 15 luftwaffe aircraft were shot down with the loss of only one Yak-3. This fighter evenutally became so dangerous to the Luftwaffe that in late 1944 they issued a directive to all Luftwaffe pilots to avoid combat under 5000 m with any Yakovlev fighter that lacked an oil cooler under the nose."

http://www.kotfsc.com/aircraft/yak3.htm