Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but all my data from Dell is telling me I'm good up to 2.0 Ghz

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 08 2003,03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I'm not 100% sure, but all my data from Dell is telling me I'm good up to 2.0 Ghz<span id='postcolor'>

What model dell is it, dude? wink.gif

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 08 2003,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 08 2003,03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I'm not 100% sure, but all my data from Dell is telling me I'm good up to 2.0 Ghz<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This is why you check shit out for yourself:

After I realized I didn't really know what was up, I cracked open my PC to see for myself, and guess what I found? If you guessed a 423 pin, then you are correct. Oh well, I guess I'll try and upgrade this one as best I can, and hope it'll last me until I go to college or get drafted or something.

Edit: 8100, btw. It's done good for me, but other than RAM, it's a little limited in its upgradeability smile.gif

Edit Again: I'm looking at the Intel website, and they say that a 423 pin can be upgraded to 2 Ghz. hmmm, I guess I'll look around and try to find one for sale, and see what's up...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 08 2003,04:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 08 2003,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 08 2003,03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I'm not 100% sure, but all my data from Dell is telling me I'm good up to 2.0 Ghz<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This is why you check shit out for yourself:

After I realized I didn't really know what was up, I cracked open my PC to see for myself, and guess what I found? If you guessed a 423 pin, then you are correct. Oh well, I guess I'll try and upgrade this one as best I can, and hope it'll last me until I go to college or get drafted or something.

Edit: 8100, btw. It's done good for me, but other than RAM, it's a little limited in its upgradeability smile.gif

Edit Again: I'm looking at the Intel website, and they say that a 423 pin can be upgraded to 2 Ghz. hmmm, I guess I'll look around and try to find one for sale, and see what's up...<span id='postcolor'>

Try eBay.

It's usually easy to find stuff there, sadly a lot of people want WAY too much money for their used gear!

Then again, if the performance now with the games you play is ok, why upgrade? Right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try eBay.

It's usually easy to find stuff there, sadly a lot of people want WAY too much money for their used gear!

Then again, if the performance now with the games you play is ok, why upgrade? Right?<span id='postcolor'>

I was checking Pricewatch just now (two hits), and will look at Ebay later.

As to why? Well, why not? The way I see it, I'm only going to be in the serious gaming thing for about another year. So, if I upgrade now, I'll stay just ahead of the curve, so far as my expectations are concerned. And when I downloaded 3dMark2003, my bechmark was something like 400. [bold]400[/bold]! I can't call myself a real gamer and get a 400 benchmark lol. That, and now that I've seen Il-2 FB's terrain on perfect, I don't think I'll ever really be able to go back. So, the way I see it is this: 200 bucks (about) for a new CPU, and a new 3d card for another 200-250, and then I'm set for the remainder of the time I have left to waste time playing games. From there on in, I can just browse the bargain bins to satisfy my needs I guess.

I just got back from the city and I now have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3d with the twisty stick every hates smile.gif

For $50 more I could have got the forcefeedback model, but there was no way I could try it out and I wasn't going to spend valuable money on a feature I couldn't try. Haven't tried my new stick yet so I will have to run off and do that.

So what is everyone's favorite plane so far? I keep switching back and forth between the ME262 and FW190. I think I'm better at flying the FW190, but I'd like to get better in the ME262 as well. I even went so far as to complete a dynamic campaign as a Me262 fighter pilot that lasted only eight missions, and it was a spectacular defeat for my side sad.gif

On the last few missions, it was 16 enemy planes versus my four ME262's... the horror... the horror...

Just did a quick search on the web and it seems you can also get a 423 to 478 pin coverter for around $20. Guess you should do some research into it and see if your bios will boot with an unsopported bios, but it's another workaround to consider. Your mb already has the fast ram, so hopefully you will be able to stick with it for a while longer.

Myself I'm ticked off at my mb flackiness. I have a throughbred core xp1800+ which by all acounts runs very nice on a 166fsb, but my mb doesn't like anything past 142 sad.gif. Right now I'm maxed out with the highest multiplier and 142 fsb and the proc is just begging to go faster. Oh well. If I get my new job sometime soon maybe I'll invest in a Nforce2 board and let this puppy rip. But I'd also love to get another 512mb ram, desicions, desicions....

COLINMAN

Currently I'm battling through a campaign on the Crimean peninsula. We're making good progress, but my staffel's been hit hard. We're down to 5 operational Emils (out of about 20 originally), but we've given better than we've taken. 38 aircraft total, all fighters, and 6 of those are mine. And we're on, what, day 4 or 5? Oh well, if we can just survive the next few days, Sevastopol ought to be locked up and we can refit...

Damn I love this game.

Sounds really good when playing together. Maybe i ca persuade my colleagues to get a copy and we can wage virtual war!

Does it help if you have real flying experience or can anyone fly it? Just trying to gauge realism levels.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 08 2003,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you should cut down your hours of sleep to 1 so you can get more done in a day smile.gif  Better buy a supply depot full  of caffine based foods and drinks though tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Lol sad thing is you're not far off. Think I'm averaging 5 hours a night, and I worship  caffeine. Glad to hear you finally got a joystick smile.gif. Now you can really play.

My first impression - "Cool!, we get to see the original Russian cover art, even if it isn't on the box!" - as Kozhedub's La-7 appears on screen.

My second impressin - Damn my CPU is slow! sad.gif  My PIII 733 overclocked to 900 has never had such a workout, under OpenGL  and low to medium setings it pretty much became unplayable as soon as I ran into a large bomber formation. Tried the Direct X mode, and it seemed a lot better when I put myself against 7 enemy bombers in the quick mission builder. I also overclocked a notch more to 940 (I'm trying to be as careful about that as If I was working the Me262's throttle). I didn't have much time to play so I mostly watched a few tracks and drooled at the pretty planes. I'll try and play it a while tonight, and see if I can fine-tune the game to run "well" under my system.

Be sure to check out the MiG's if you get a chance Tovarish, it seems they upped their armor a good bit since the last version smile.gif

How does the new DC work? Are you stuck in the plane you pick at the beginning, or does it upgrade as new planes become available. That's one thing I liked about the orginal scripted campaigns in IL2. The Russian one gives you a tour of the different planes and lets you decide which ones you like and don't.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 08 2003,21:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How does the new DC work? Are you stuck in the plane you pick at the beginning, or does it upgrade as new planes become available. That's one thing I liked about the orginal scripted campaigns in IL2. The Russian one gives you a tour of the different planes and lets you decide which ones you like and don't.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

I don't really know yet. The DC I'm playing is pretty much on a day to day basis, and it's been all I can do to survive and succeed over 6 days lol. We're about to roll Sevastopol over though, and after that there's only Yalta and one other city.

With Il2 I'm really learning to hate the P39. When I played the German campaign the damn things flew circles around my 109G6, but now that I'm with them in the Russian, them damn things are just horrible. The 37mm is to slow for AA and the light .50 cals on the plane just take forever to shoot down a plane. Plus the fact that the those damn 109s seem to be able to turn on a dime now that I'm not flying them sad.gif I was dogfighting a 109 w/gunpods, an absalute pig to fly, but it just starts rolling, and bleeding speed to the point that I"m at 190km/hr, just hanging in space as I watch him swing around up and by me for a snap shot. Never get hit, but I'll spend 5 minutes behind one in a slow fight peppering away, doing nothing. Every other Russian plane is a dream to fly, I just can't stand the P39.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Mar. 08 2003,22:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With Il2 I'm really learning to hate the P39. When I played the German campaign the damn things flew circles around my 109G6, but now that I'm with them in the Russian, them damn things are just horrible. The 37mm is to slow for AA and the light .50 cals on the plane just take forever to shoot down a plane. Plus the fact that the those damn 109s seem to be able to turn on a dime now that I'm not flying them sad.gif I was dogfighting a 109 w/gunpods, an absalute pig to fly, but it just starts rolling, and bleeding speed to the point that I"m at 190km/hr, just hanging in space as I watch him swing around up and by me for a snap shot. Never get hit, but I'll spend 5 minutes behind one in a slow fight peppering away, doing nothing. Every other Russian plane is a dream to fly, I just can't stand the P39.<span id='postcolor'>

A couple of things to mention here.....yes, the 37mm cannon has quite poor accuracy when compared to Soviet-made 37mm cannons. I usually only use it to finish off a badly damaged enemy plane, or when the target is so close that I feel I just can't miss. Secondly, machine guns are now much more effective than before due to penetration being modeled...the early version P-39  should be able to bring down most planes without much trouble, only using it's MG's.. Third, you likely know that in Il-2 the AI makes up for it's inadequacies by "cheating" and using a simplified flight model....no more smile.gif. On realistic settings, their flight model is the same you would have, but damn, AI is a lot more formidable now...not nearly as predictable as before.

That's good. I always have had a chuckle because a lot of people feel the P39 is god in the air and I just suck at flying the thing. Funny how the way you fly is such a personal thing. I an snipe with a 109 from 300-400m with the nose cannon with good effect, but can't hit anything with that damn cannon, even when I am about to collide with the other plane smile.gif

Hopefully when I go to the mall on Monday FB will be there. I have to work through the weekend so I'm still playing through IL2.

COLINMMAN

if i was to buy IL2 in the uk but then went and bought FB in Canada will it be compatible?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ Mar. 08 2003,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if i was to buy IL2 in the uk but then went and bought FB in Canada will it be compatible?<span id='postcolor'>

You'll have to download the patch that converts the Canadian flying squirrels to fighter planes and the mounties to British groundtroops, but otherwise, yes. Of course, you will also find a lot less Tim Hortons restaurants to bomb.

lol, well im brittish but im gonna going to canada this week so ill buy it when im over there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 08 2003,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ Mar. 08 2003,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if i was to buy IL2 in the uk but then went and bought FB in Canada will it be compatible?<span id='postcolor'>

You'll have to download the patch that converts the Canadian flying squirrels to fighter planes and the mounties to British groundtroops, but otherwise, yes. Of course, you will also find a lot less Tim Hortons restaurants to bomb.<span id='postcolor'>

Rrrrrrolll up the rrrrrrimmmmm to winnnnnn!

biggrin.gif

(that's an in Canadian joke you heathens without Timmy's wont get! )

Stop being mean, Tovarish.

IL-2 and Forgotten Battles are two totally different products. When FB was first anounced, it was going to be an add on pack that would have required IL-2. Now it's stand alone. SO there is no reason that a Canadian FB cannot co-exist with an UK IL-2.

I have come down with the flu and worked too much in the time since I got FB, so all I've had a chance to do is swoop around in the various AC, learning to fly again. I think I am going to start the DC when I get home tonight!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 08 2003,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stop being mean, Tovarish.  

IL-2 and Forgotten Battles are two totally different products.  When FB was first anounced, it was going to be an add on pack that would have required IL-2.  Now it's stand alone.  SO there is no reason that a Canadian FB cannot co-exist with an UK IL-2.<span id='postcolor'>

Just a lousy attempt at humor on my part, no meaningness intended wink.gif. I'm pretty tired right now even though I just finished a 5 hour nap, and I totally missed that he was talking about patching FB over the original IL-2. I thought he meant multiplayer or something....in either case, you don't need to worry about compatibility issues between countries smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 08 2003,23:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 08 2003,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stop being mean, Tovarish.  

IL-2 and Forgotten Battles are two totally different products.  When FB was first anounced, it was going to be an add on pack that would have required IL-2.  Now it's stand alone.  SO there is no reason that a Canadian FB cannot co-exist with an UK IL-2.<span id='postcolor'>

Just a lousy attempt at humor on my part, no meaningness intended wink.gif. I'm pretty tired right now even though I just finished a 5 hour nap, and I totally missed that he was talking about patching FB over the original IL-2. I thought he meant multiplayer or something....in either case, you don't need to worry about compatibility issues between countries smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Woops, I left off one of these wink.gif

Wasnt actually meaning to chastise you!

Did your program ever end up working?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 08 2003,23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did your program ever end up working?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope sad.gif. Very close, but in this course close isn't enough. If the output dosen't match the prof's 100%, the highest mark you can get is 40%. I was already being docked 30% for being a week late, so you can do the math sad.gif. Oh well, time to go into damage control mode. I'm sure that in another week I can have it working perfectly...the max I'll get for handing it in next week is 50%, but it's much better to get 40% on an assignment than 10%.