FederalRazer89

Trying to get a position on higher gound near a objectiv

Hello

As the title might suggest, i am trying to find a elevated position near the objectiv. I am creating a function that will place waypoint the highest point close to the objectiv, so that i can have AI sniper group/ recon group overwatch on higher ground. The way i intended to do it was to get some locations around the position, but i dont know how i would sort the array by height.

The script:

_reconSort = [];
            for "_i" from 1 to 360 do
                {
                _testpos = [_pos, random [100,200,500], _i] call BIS_fnc_relPos;

_reconSort pushBack _testpos;

};
            _reconSort apply {[_x  distance _grp, _x] };

Any help would be appreciated.

Delete it apply. Create a second array which stores nested arrays with being the first element the absl difference of the z value between the returned position and ur origin position. The second element of the nested array should be the index of ur array _reconSort.

Now u can do sort with the new array then get the stored index of the element with the highest elevation and now u know which element of _reconSort is ur desired element

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

There should be a solution without arrays using the max command but I'm not on desktop now. Maybe later...

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Didn't test BIS_fnc_findOverwatch lately but I recall that It did have its limitations, later on I started using a selectBestPlaces as it pretty powerfull.

private _myPlaces = selectBestPlaces [position player, 50, "(1 - forest) * (1 + hills)", 1, 5] apply {ATLToASL ((_x select 0) + [0])}; 		//Stupid mistake... forgot that 2D positions coudn't get converted to ASL, sorry for any inconvenience 
private _ret = [0,0,0];
for "_i" from 0 to count _myplaces -1 do {
	private _pos = _myplaces select _i;
	if (_ret select 2 < _pos select 2) then {
		_ret = +_pos;
	};
};
// And in the ende noone would want an position in the air
 ASLToATL _ret

That would work (as far as I haven't made some stupid mistake), but I have no capability to test it right now :/

Edited by crewt
//Stupid mistake... forgot that 2D positions coudn't get converted to ASL, sorry for any inconvenience

Was working so didnt have time to test it, will try it this week. Have a lot of stuff that i need to test first, but thanks for the additional suggestions, will try those if BIS_fnc_findOverwatch dont work.

Just math:

MGI_elevatedCheck = compileFinal "
  _posHigh = _this select 0;
  _posTest = ATLtoASL _posHigh;
  _radius = _this select 1;
  if (_radius == worldSize) then {
    _posTest = ASLtoATL [worldSize/2,worldSize/2,0];
    _radius = worldSize /2
  };
  _rangeSqr = MGI_range^2; 
  _bestHigh = _posTest select 2;
  _n = (round _radius) min (worldSize / 10);
  _c = _radius / (sqrt (_n - 1));
  for '_i' from _n to 0 step -1 do {
    _rho = _c * sqrt (_i + 0.5);
    _theta = 137.508 * (_i + 0.5);
    _ckPos = _posTest getPos [_rho,_theta];
    call {
      if (_ckPos distanceSqr MGI_posRef > _rangeSqr) exitWith {};
      if ((getTerrainHeightASL _ckPos) > _bestHigh) exitWith {
        _posHigh = ASLtoATL _ckPos; _bestHigh = getTerrainHeightASL _ckPos
      };
    };
  };
  _posHigh
";

MGI_HighestPt = {
  params [["_pos",[0,0,0]],["_range",worldSize]];
  MGI_posRef = _pos;
  MGI_range = _range;
  _posHigh = [_pos,_range] call MGI_elevatedCheck;
  _posHigh = [_posHigh,_range /10] call MGI_elevatedCheck;
  _posHigh
};

_highestPt = [<any position here>,<radius> (optional)] call MGI_HighestPt;

I use findoverwatch too. Seems to work well for finding a position high up for a small radar installation.

Mine is working quickly on any map  (no need to have declared hill locations), any radius, without any repeated BIS function.

I tried to use findoverwatch and your script pierremgi but nether of them works as i want mabye there is some more i need to do. Only need to get a position that is the highest within 700m of the position.

[_pos,_grp,_mode,_side] call fn_Waypointgenerating;       <-------------------- Decide which objectiv to go to.
                    sleep 1;
                    [_pos,700] call MGI_HighestPt;
                    _wp1          = _grp addWaypoint [_pos,30];
                    _wp2          = _grp addWaypoint [_pos,30];
                    _wp1 setWaypointType "SAD";
                    _wp2 setWaypointType "SAD";
                    };

Are you use _pos is a position (like getpos player or getMarkPos "onemarker" ? I can see you are already use _pos in your first fn_waitpointGenerating. Where _pos comes from?

If possible, test that before you need it:

hint format ["position tested: %1", _pos];

The _pos is just the group leaders position, but the varible _pos gets new coordinates from the fn_waitpointGenerating function. I have done several test with the fn_waitpointGenerating function and i know that it will give a new position, but i can show you the function.
The function is about 100 lines long so i cut out some of the code.

fn_Waypointgenerating =
{

_pos  = _this select 0;
    _grp  = _this select 1;
    _mode = _this select 2;
    _side = _this select 3;

_MatMRK1  = getMarkerPos "MaterialsiteMRK1";
    _MatMRK2  = getMarkerPos "MaterialsiteMRK2";
--------------------Several markers -------------------------
    _FuelMRK6  = getMarkerPos "FuelsiteMRK6";

_chosePos          = _pos;
    _AttackerArrayNato = [];
    _DefenderArrayNato = [];

_AttackerArrayCSAT = [];
    _DefenderArrayCSAT = [];

-------------------------Cut -----------------------------------------    
                  if (_mode == 3) then 
                      {

if  (NATO_MaterialSite1 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK1};if (CSAT_MaterialSite1 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK1};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite2 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK2};if (CSAT_MaterialSite2 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK2};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite3 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK3};if (CSAT_MaterialSite3 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK3};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite4 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK4};if (CSAT_MaterialSite4 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK4};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite5 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK5};if (CSAT_MaterialSite5 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK5};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite6 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK6};if (CSAT_MaterialSite6 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK6};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite7 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK7};if (CSAT_MaterialSite7 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK7};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite8 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK8};if (CSAT_MaterialSite8 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK8};
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite9 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK9};if (CSAT_MaterialSite9 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK9}; 
                      if  (NATO_MaterialSite10 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK10};if (CSAT_MaterialSite10 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _MatMRK10}; 

if  (NATO_FuelSite1 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK1};if (CSAT_FuelSite1 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK1};
                      if  (NATO_FuelSite2 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK2};if (CSAT_FuelSite2 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK2};
                      if  (NATO_FuelSite3 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK3};if (CSAT_FuelSite3 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK3};
                      if  (NATO_FuelSite4 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK4};if (CSAT_FuelSite4 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK4};
                      if  (NATO_FuelSite5 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK5};if (CSAT_FuelSite5 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK5};
                      if  (NATO_FuelSite6 == 0) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK6};if (CSAT_FuelSite6 == 1) then {_AttackerArrayNato pushBack _FuelMRK6};

};

}; 

if (_side == west) then
{

if (_mode == 1) then 
                {
                _AttackerArrayNato = _AttackerArrayNato apply {[_x distance _pos, _x] };
                _AttackerArrayNato sort true;
                _chosePos = (_AttackerArrayNato select 0) select 1;
                };

if (_mode == 2) then
                {
                _DefenderArrayNato = _DefenderArrayNato apply {[_x distance _pos, _x] };
                _DefenderArrayNato sort true;
                _chosePos = (_DefenderArrayNato select 0) select 1;
                };
              if (_mode == 3) then
                {
                _AttackerArrayNato = _AttackerArrayNato apply {[_x distance _pos, _x] };
                _AttackerArrayNato sort true;
                _chosePos = (_AttackerArrayNato select 0) select 1;
                };
};

_pos = _chosePos;

};

(Please test the hint, it's far quicker than trying to debug this with no idea of your initial parameters.)

Sorry, i didn't see that before but you need to return the results like this (no matter the variable name but keep consistency):

_pos = [_pos,_grp,_mode,_side] call fn_Waypointgenerating;

_pos = [_pos,700] call MGI_HighestPt;

My function work with out any problem, its just that when i tried to add your function to get a position on the location on the objectiv it does nothing. Not a singel error is shown or disrupted any of the script, so i not sure what to look for. But i will test some more and se if i can get it to work.

3 minutes ago, FederalRazer89 said:

My function work with out any problem, its just that when i tried to add your function to get a position on the location on the objectiv it does nothing. Not a singel error is shown or disrupted any of the script, so i not sure what to look for. But i will test some more and se if i can get it to work.

I changed my post above: return the result.