opteryx

Satmap Size for Huge Terrain

So if I split the terrain in 4 parts, does it load all 4 of them, or just one quadrant in buldozer?

It will load whichever mapframe you select. So if you select the top_left mapframe then with will load whatever is under that mapframe.

i think because it is for the public and not for developers....   :)

btw.... why you need hires sat for editing??  crunch the hires for a test to see it ingame , and when your island is ready  finish it with hires...... 

with hires You will have problems even with crunch times.... with low res i have my island ready in 148 secs average time. When i test my island with the hires the time of the crunch is too longgggggggggggggg. not worth it ......

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but without the high res sat I won't be able to see the details on the map.

what you mean "details" i see everything but in low res... i dont have something that need superhi res on edit....

Well on a 51k texture even very large things become very small relative to the texture, so if I reduce the resolution it will be very hard to make out where and what things are.

if you use your sat map as boundary helper for some locations , you can use a lowres satmap edited with black lines in your painting software in the boundaries you want ..... work with it in TB and then replace with lowres sat without those marked boundaries..... even with this, it is a quicker than use the hires from the beginning of your creation.... (my personal opinion )

try this.... the only thing you can lose is 10 mins . if this fit your need , you can save lot of time (+1 hour per buldozer loading time + many hours of crunching time for the ingame tests) :)

Is it possible to create a MapFrame anywhere on my terrain and use it as a working area for Buldozer (for better loading time)? In my attempt I was able to create a MapFrame and rebuild terrain on it, but when I tried to generate layers I received a "Bad texel mapping for surface mask image" error, which of course led to an untextured island in Buldozer.

I asked Miro (whom I believe is a BIS dev) and he said it should just take 3-5 min to load the map if it's empty so I'm pretty sure there's something wrong here.

Is it possible to create a MapFrame anywhere on my terrain and use it as a working area for Buldozer (for better loading time)? In my attempt I was able to create a MapFrame and rebuild terrain on it, but when I tried to generate layers I received a "Bad texel mapping for surface mask image" error, which of course led to an untextured island in Buldozer.

try to delete the layers from temp folder and then export your wrp again before regenerate the map....

edit: you can use the same satmap layer . the only thing you need to do is to change the resolution you want.... i m not in front of my pc right now to help you further.

I use my hires sat map and i have it on 2048 res  right now.

afaik buldozer startup times should not be affected by the size of the terrain.
loading objects should be the biggest slowdown.

sat/mask and heightmap should be streamed while you are in buldozer as you move and only these around your camera.

could you post a screenshot of your mapframe properties?

Also make sure your layers were not generated into a windows temp directory (TB tends to set this as default if you create a new project)

hmm, the only thing i can see is that the 2.4m/px is a bit unusual.

can you pack it up and launch it ingame?

I've tried, but there's some errors with my config and I'm not very good with code.

The dimensions of the map is exactly the same as the ToH asia map.

Alright, I'll have a look at it later today then. Gotta go now.

Hmm, I have one suspicion, my sat/mask .bmp textures are 16 bit, should I try to change them to 24 bit?

try to delete the layers from temp folder and then export your wrp again before regenerate the map....

edit: you can use the same satmap layer . the only thing you need to do is to change the resolution you want.... i m not in front of my pc right now to help you further.

I use my hires sat map and i have it on 2048 res  right now.

By temp folder you mean the files in ...\data\layers yes?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by changing the resolution. The resolution of my source images? I want to work on part of my terrain like so:

CrZjinP.png

• Like 1

temp folder on P drive yes.

loading times can reduced with lores images

map frame properties / samplers / source image / make it smaller than the original (when i m in front of my pc , i will confirm this . perhaps confuse the source with tiles )

temp folder on P drive yes.

loading times can reduced with lores images

map frame properties / samplers / source image / make it smaller than the original (when i m in front of my pc , i will confirm this . perhaps confuse the source with tiles )

Thanks. I thought I had to reduce the size of the actual source image, but I see now that it generated the same amount of texture tiles anyways.

40960 image for example is 40960x2 =  81,920 divided by 4 = 20480 for each tile

Top left picture

Easting    -    200000.000

Northing    -    20480.000

Top right picture

Easting    -    220480.000

Northing    -    20480.000

Bottom left

Easting    -    200000.000

Northing    -    0.000

Bottom right

Easting    -    220480.000

Northing    -    0.000

So I can create a mapframe for each tile?

I was trying to create 80 and 60k land divided into tiles but with a global mapframe
Just made my day

thanks

I have 4 Mapframes tiles of 4096/10 = 40960
Should I generate a fifth global mapframe of 8192/10 = 81920?

To import the 80km. WRP file it is necessary to generate the satellite and mask layers, but this I already did in the 4 mapframe tiles...

Could someone guide me in this step?
It is not understandable enough for me in this guide:
http://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:multiple-mapframes

Regards

EDIT:
I create a new topic for this cuestion: