Tankbuster

How to maintain identical mission on different islands using SVN?

I just had problem with my mission that used symbolic links from another folder. This worked fine in SP but when I tried starting dedicated server arma crashed. I had to manually copy the files instead of symbolic linking to fix it.

So no one else had problem with symbolic links?

10 minutes ago, gc8 said:

So no one else had problem with symbolic links?

Not within 10+ years of using it, no problems so far.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Not within 10+ years of using it, no problems so far.

Cheers

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I don't know what went wrong with my mission but I was symbolic linking pretty much all the other files than the .sqm and then I get error related to the .sqm reading/parsing. Strange.

Can't get the linking working. I choose "pick link source" on some files then choose "drop as symbolic links" to the other folder. And I don't touch the mission.sqm but this is the error I get when trying to start dedicated server:

File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Altis\mission.sqm, line 0: '.hMove': '"' encountered instead of '='

The crash comes when joined and the mission has done downloading

Any ideas how to fix?

There would be no problem to create branches in SVN, especially if SVN is installed and ready anyway. Exactly how I do it, but I use Git.

Git does not need a server like SVN. Simply install "Git for windows" (if Windows) and create a repo with Git bash and command "git init".

The very problem can be solved by using symbolic links, but with git

you also get one of the best versioning systems to keep track of your code.

Think I found the reason my linking doesn't work. I forgot I had linked the user MpMissions folder to arma folder to replace the MPMissions there. So I can start server with TADST from my user files. Then when I create those links inside the linked folder arma gets confused and fails to load. So that's the theory.

Anyone know how to solve? can symbolic links be relinked?

This has stopped working for me. 😞
If I try to create symlinks from the root of the mission folder, they aren't created properly in the destination folder, so all the destination folders are missing description.ext and such like. I've found that these files need to be dropped as hardlinks.

Dropping as symlink still works for all of the folders in the mission folder. It automatically updates all the child folders in files within too. This is the same as previous behaviour.