Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Top gun

Whats even funnier about that line?

Quentin Tarantino is the one saying it biggrin.gif Much like the now famous Madonna "Like A Virgin" speech in the beginning of Resevoir Dogs.

Here's some other oldish "military movies" that I thought were cool at the time but now I'm not too sure....

Fire Birds (1990)

with Nicholas Cage and Tommy Lee Jones

The U.S. Government is willing to help any country that requires help in ridding themselves of drugs with support from the Army. Unfortunately, the drug cartels have countered that offer by hiring one of the best air-combat mercenaries and have armed him with a Scorpion attack helicopter. The army decides to send in it's best people from it's Apache Air Combat school. But first they have to be taught how to fly air-to-air combat missions.

Iron Eagle (1986)

Louis Gossett Jr. , Jason Gedrick

When Doug's father, an Air Force Pilot, is shot down by MiGs belonging to a radical Middle Eastern state, no one seems able to get him out. Doug finds Chappy, an Air Force Colonel who is intrigued by the idea of sending in two fighters piloted by himself and Doug to rescue Doug's father after bombing the MiG base. Their only problems: Borrowing two fighters, getting them from California to the Mediteranean without anyone noticing, and Doug's inability to hit anything unless he has music playing. Then come the minor problems of the state's air defenses.

Red Dawn (1984)

Patrick Swayze C. Thomas Howell Lea Thompson Charlie Sheen

A group of high school students become guerrilla fighters when their town is invaded by Central American and eventually Soviet soldiers at the beginning of WWIII in this apocalyptic fantasy. The pressures of their desperate existence begin to wear away at the "Wolverine's" unity as the Soviet bloc forces hunt them down.

That's all for now, I'll remember more later...

-=Die Alive=-

Hmmn... Hot shots.

I remember the scene where topper used the rudder pedals to brake and hide behind a fighter... heh  biggrin.gif

Or during the "landing" sequence in the end of the film.

Topper: "My wings are gone"

landing Officer: Doing good.

Topper: Im coming in!

One of the best Military film is "The Hunt for Red October" imo.

"Top Gun is such a cool movie- and it's really cool too, because it can be interpreted in so many ways. For example, was there a homoerotic undertone to Maverick and Iceman's relationship? I mean, for chrissakes, at the end Iceman tells Maverick that he can "Ride my tail any time"

It's still a cool movie lol"

Well, he doesnt actually say that. He says...

Ice - "You can be my wingman any time"

Mav - "Bullshit, you can be mine"

But the "Gay" parallel is very funny anyway : )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Oct. 30 2002,01:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Oct. 30 2002,08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I have to say is Meg Ryan. Damn she is hot in the movie.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about??  Meg Ryan was an annoying bitch in top gun, like she is in most of her movies.  

It was Mavericks girlfriend in that movie who was hot.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I'm talking about the charactor she played. Meg Ryan is a beautiful woman. The girl that played Marvericks girl was alright, but there's something about Meg that I like.

COLINMAN

you guys are dangerous! i still love the "iceman: the later years" spoof from saturday night live where iceman is a commercial airline pilot lol. but yeah topgun was a great movie.... a must-have for anyone. i mean its like inhuman to not have seen it once. danger zone weeeeeeeee!

"I remember there was a sort of copy of topgun made called iron eagle."

Iron Eagle was nothing like Top Gun. Both had American heroes and airplanes in them, but that was about it as far as likeness goes : )

ah but they did both have angry general types with bald heads :o plus in iron eagle 2 some guy was fiddling in an m113 type apc and managed to make the gun go off in the airbase and shoot stuff up biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Oct. 31 2002,02:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you guys are dangerous!  i still love the "iceman: the later years" spoof from saturday night live where iceman is a commercial airline pilot lol.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! I have to see that!

In most parts, top gun is more entertaining than realistic (something I look for in movies tounge.gif) But it's a GREAT movie. Love the tomcat.

OK, not a Top-Gun quote directly, but from Hot Shots, possibly the funniest line in the entire movie.

"Yankee doodle floppy disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milk Shake, checking in at seven hundred feet..."

Better if you hear it in-movie, but that one had me wetting my flight suit. biggrin.gif

As for Top-Gun "I feel the need . . . the need for speed!". tounge.gif

Oh god Hot Shots was one of the greatest spoofs IMO.

Okay im not a pilot here so can someone tell me what happends when you go into another jet's wash from the engines? Didnt really understand it so much.

To clear up the "Meg Ryan or the other whateverhernememightbe" question.

The perfect compromise would be:

The "whateverhernamemightbe" broads porsche, with Meg Ryan in the passenger seat. (Oh, and me in the drivers seat of course! smile.gif )

As for Iron Eagle; i loved it at fifteen and it has some really nice flying scenes but i think the story would be a little to much for me today. I think Iron Eagle 2-3-4-wherever it's gonna stop are probably the worst crap ever to be produced.

But that's just me....... smile.gif

If i remeber right, jetwash is where you fly behind a plane to close, and the result is, the engine sucks in the exshaust of the plane in front, thus starving the planes engine of oxygen.

Which results in the engine shutting off.

It was about the Navy, So naturaly I hated it. Two hot shot pilots, nothing that great. But for the type of movie it was alright. Nothing I'd buy on DVD. THough the famous Bar in there I used to drive by all the time. It's in Southern Cali by the Family Fun Center lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CosmicCastaway @ Oct. 30 2002,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, not a Top-Gun quote directly, but from Hot Shots, possibly the funniest line in the entire movie.

"Yankee doodle floppy disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milk Shake, checking in at seven hundred feet..."

Better if you hear it in-movie, but that one had me wetting my flight suit.  biggrin.gif

As for Top-Gun "I feel the need . . . the need for speed!".  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Best ever is the Monty Python RAF banter skit:

RAF Banter

The sketch:

A squadron leader, just off on a mission, runs past, and dashes into a Nissen hut

CAPTION: Somewhere in England, 1944

The squadron leader enters an RAF officers' mess and takes off his helmet

Bovril (Terry J.)

Morning, squadron leader.

Squadron Leader (Eric)

What-ho, Squiffy.

Bovril

How was it?

Squadron Leader

Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Bovril

Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, squadron leader.

Squadron Leader

It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite right in the how's yer father ... hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Bovril

No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Squadron Leader

Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

Bovril

Hold on, then. (shouts) Wingco!

Wingco (Graham)

Yes!

Bovril

Bend an ear to the squadron leader's banter for a sec, would you?

Wingco

Can do.

Bovril

Jolly good.

Wingco

Fire away.

Squadron Leader

(draws a deep breath and looks slightly uncertain, then starts even more deliberately then before) Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite ... right in the how's your father ... hairy blighter ... dicky-birdied ... ... feathered back on his Sammy ... took a waspy ... flipped over on his Betty Harper's ... and caught his can in the Bertie.

Wingco

... No, don't understand that banter at all.

Squadron Leader

Something up with my banter, chaps?

A siren goes. The door bursts open and an out-of-breath young pilot rushes in in his flying gear.

Pilot (Michael)

Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered.

General incomprehension. They look at each other

Wingco

Do you understand that?

Squadron Leader

No, didn't get a word of it.

Wingco

Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter.

Pilot

You know ... bally ten-penny ones dropping in the custard ... (searching for the words) um ... Charlie Choppers chucking a handful ...

Wingco

No, no ... sorry.

Bovril

Say it a bit slower, old chap.

Pilot

Slower banter, sir?

Wingco

Ra-ther!

Pilot

Um ... sausage squad up the blue end!

Squadron Leader

No, still don't get it.

Pilot

Um ... cabbage crates coming over the briny?

Squadron Leader

No.

Wingco, Pilot and Bovril

No, no ...

Stock film of a German bombing raid.

Voice Over (Michael)

But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit London by July 7th. That was just the beginning

COLINMAN

I watched Top Gun (1986) and enjoyed it, then a year or two later I watched An Officer And a Gentleman (1982), made me realise how much of a rip off from An Officer And a Gentleman Top Gun was.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Papageorge @ Oct. 31 2002,0301)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">THough the famous Bar in there I used to drive by all the time. It's in Southern Cali by the Family Fun Center lol.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you talking about the one out on Vista Way near Escondido? I might be wrong but I think that's the bar from "Heartbreak Ridge." Supposedly "Charlie's" house from "Top Gun" is in an Oceanside neighborhood, though.

I can't watch "Top Gun" without thinking of an old Bobcat Goldthwait routine where he calls it a two-hour recruiting poster:

"Hey man, when do I get to fly the jets?"

"After you finish painting the other side of the ship."

Or something to that effect.

Semper Fi