Sign in to follow this  
hovmand

Breakdancing dude

I'd like to see a new walk animation where the gun is held normally. Basically, have a walk speed the same as the walk speed with guns on back, but have the gun held like while jogging. I don't like how the guns are held when the slow button is held and the up to the face almost. The new animation would be good for just basic patroling, without having guys walking with guns on back or the patrol jogging everywhere.

-=Die Alive=-

pitviper...the animations for handsignals are already in the game...they just arent tied to anything...but it is possible to see them using switchmove commands...it would be possible to tie them into the game via scripting.

LOL, I liked that, too! tounge.gif

But the animations I would give my left thump for would be better get-in-vehicle-animations biggrin.gif

It's the quiet ones who get far, OFPInternals released WRPedit which is still the staple tool for any island makers. And now they are doing this. Wonder what we can do with this as we don't have motion capture stuff?

Could this anim stuff mean that cavalry will be possible? Would be the last thing I need for my ww1 mod (except for close combat). Could be quite cool.

Grokk

p.s. What's motion capture?

Motion Capture is the process of capturing the movement of a real object and mapping it onto a computer generated object. Usually, Motion Capture is used to create synthetic actors by capturing the motions of real humans. In this case, special markers are placed over the joints of actors. Then, a special hardware samples the position and/or orientation of those markers in time, generating a set of motion data, also known as motion curves. This technique has been used by special effects companies to produce incredible realistic animations in movies such as Star Wars I, Titanic, Starship Troopers, Species, Batman, Terminator 2 and others.

(info from: http://www.visgraf.impa.br because i was to lazy to type it)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grokk @ Nov. 03 2002,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could this anim stuff mean that cavalry will be possible? Would be the last thing I need for my ww1 mod (except for close combat). Could be quite cool.

Grokk

p.s. What's motion capture?<span id='postcolor'>

That would be very sweet! It could also be used for American Civil War simulations or perhaps the Nepoleonic Wars!

The possibilities are endless especially if a good bayonet thrust animation was made along with some rifle/bayonet addons. Horses could also even be used to simulate modern combat in Afghanistan such when Northern Alliance General Dostum led a cavalry charge along with U.S. Special Forces against Taliban forces.

So yeah horses would be extremely useful in a wide variety of missions and historical war mods for OFP.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Nov. 03 2002,03:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's the quiet ones who get far, OFPInternals released WRPedit which is still the staple tool for any island makers. And now they are doing this. Wonder what we can do with this as we don't have motion capture stuff?<span id='postcolor'>

yeah I agree...the problem is often these programs by OFPinternals are not exactly user friendly. There may be ways of using the new animation program without a motion capture studio, but they need to release tutorials on how to do that. For example you would think something as simple as a bayonet thrust could be done without motion capture software and hardware.

But if they can do break dancing then I'm sure they'll figure out how to do other animations. Animals though may be difficult without there being an "animal class". Hopefully eventually OFPinternals will release more info on exactly what the limitations of their software are.

While it won't stop the "I want a horse" posts, it should at least allow animation designers who want to mess with the program to concentrate on what CAN be done rather then waste time on items that the current OFP engine won't allow for.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (danimalhanke @ Nov. 02 2002,23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Someone has a wwwwaaaayyyyy to much time on their hands LOL<span id='postcolor'>

I guess that would be me..   smile.gif

To answer some of the questions: it's not tested yet, but you should be able to create and animate any kind of creatures (animals, monsters, objects..).

The animations you've seen, were done in Maya, without motion capture (it shows..). And were exported to .rtm (the OFP animation format) with a small M(aya)E(mbedded)L(anguage) script. It's a makeshift solution (plenty of shortcomings, bugs) for making new animation, but it works.

All you need is Maya, some knowledge of animation and patience.

Cheers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (teaCup @ Nov. 04 2002,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess that would be me..   smile.gif

To answer some of the questions: it's not tested yet, but you should be able to create and animate any kind of creatures (animals, monsters, objects..).

The animations you've seen, were done in Maya, without motion capture (it shows..). And were exported to .rtm (the OFP animation format) with a small M(aya)E(mbedded)L(anguage) script. It's a makeshift solution (plenty of shortcomings, bugs) for making new animation, but it works.

All you need is Maya, some knowledge of animation and patience.

Cheers.<span id='postcolor'>

Wow! Cool. But... Are you currently working on any animals and would it work in OFP? Here is what I'm worried about... the animals, I assume would have to be a "soldier" class but I wonder if would have to have the same # of "joints" as a person model in order for it to work in that class.

At any rate, I REALLY hope you get it to work because it would be incredible to have even some simple moving animals.

Or....if you can a simple bayonet thrust would be extremely useful.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>