nytrobeast

Are shotguns a possibility?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before and I've done some hunting to find out. Basically I'm wondering if shotguns are planned for any future updates/DLC.

The reason I ask is I was recently going through the tactical guide you get with some versions of the game and I noticed shotguns we're a category in the weapons section. Spercifically the Bulldog and AA-12 were listed.

We're they originally intended to be in the game? and are they planned to be brought into the game at any point?

Shotguns are possible, infact many mods like CUP add some to the game.

And a lot of stuff BI planned for A3 was scrapped or altered during development.

RHS contains a couple of shotguns as well as CUP and a couple of other mods. I have not heard of any official plans to implement them, but never say never :)

• Like 1

I think BI feels that if they implement it, and use it for campaign missions, that the enemy or even friendly, may be too overpowered.

The game does have a revolver. I would like a double barrel shotgun for a shootout!

I think BI feels that if they implement it, and use it for campaign missions, that the enemy or even friendly, may be too overpowered.

This isn't Call of Duty/Battlefield/Counterstrike where guns are balanced by magically weakening them in order to appease the "OMFG THIS GUN IS OP NERF PLS" crowd. Whether a weapon is used or not in a mission is dependent on the mission maker to include or exclude them (just like how you can disable thermal optics, make heavy calibre weapons unavailable, etc).

The reason why BI hasn't added them is because they're deemed to be "low priority" and because there's no proper animation or magazine system for reloading pump action shotties. See this reddit post by the devs. You can also read the rest of the thread here.

A lot of mods on armaholic have great gun addons, there is a lot of good shotgun in mods like CUP Weapons or RHS mods.

I think that shotguns and RPG for that matter should be in Arma3 by default. I was very surprised that either are missing!

Weapons being overpowered is a game issue-not something that matters in real life.And not something that tends to be an issue in Arma. Many people complain that the Abrahms tank in RHS is OP or that various vehicles are too powerful in Vanilla content-but that's because in real life the damn Abrahms  is indestructible and most real world conflicts are far from balanced.When playing as Takistan militia, i don't complain that the US Apache blowing me to pieces is OP ;)

We have loads of shotguns in unsung mod, they work great in jungle fighting. We also have a dual muzzle sawn-off m79 with he grenades or 40mm pellet shells. The reason we use a dual muzzle on a single barrel weapon is so the firing sound changes from 'plunk' to 'kaboom!'

The 40mm shotgun is something to behold.

Also we adapted the shotgun pellet system to make canister ammo for the tanks, and that works great also

• Like 1

Maybe Apex will have a shotgun. They'd be nice in the CQC of the jungle.

Agreed, I'd find an in-game shotgun a pleasant surprise, but drebin052 highlighted/linked to why I'm not expecting one.