Sign in to follow this  
Maurdekye

Extraction Helicopter Not Landing

I have a helicopter with three waypoints; a MOVE waypoint, which is connected to a trigger, a LAND waypoint attached to an invisible helipad and with the condition that all units are inside it, and a third MOVE waypoint. I expected the helicopter to move in and land on the helipad once the first MOVE waypoint is skipped, but instead it simply flies over and stays hovering in midair over the trigger attached to it's MOVE waypoint. Why is this happening, and how can I get it to land on the helipad?

Edit: Here's an example mission that demonstrates my problem;
https://mega.nz/#!sMUByIQb!2snm5wTgDpMsCGJYxSXzoMZjqMKxWOa__TaDh0_AORE
The helicopter should move past the first waypoint once the trigger is activated, but it simply stays in midair and doesn't move at all. There are no enemies on the map, or any other characters besides me and the pilot. As an extra note, I'm playing this mission in multiplayer.

Edit: I was able to solve my problem by using multiple waypoints; I first used a Move waypoint right next to the helicopter that's connected to a trigger, and is skipped when the trigger activates. Then a Move waypoint attached to the helipad with a condition of true and an Actrivation with 'heli land "land";' in it. Then a Scripted waypoint also connected to the helipad, with a condition of "me in heli", then, a final Move waypoint out in the distance with a condition of true.

Here is a more complicated mission I created using this information; it features a helicopter that ferries the player between sides of the lake whenever they get inside, and waits for them to reenter;

https://mega.nz/#!FUkiFIYI!jm-56z1QLBkh9lEIPdt8iPOyHZKEWdnGU3dTsa2TD3Q

I have a helicopter with three waypoints; a MOVE waypoint, which is connected to a trigger, a LAND waypoint attached to an invisible helipad and with the condition that all units are inside it, and a third MOVE waypoint. I expected the helicopter to move in and land on the helipad once the first MOVE waypoint is skipped, but instead it simply flies over and stays hovering in midair over the trigger attached to it's MOVE waypoint. Why is this happening, and how can I get it to land on the helipad?

I don't know what's the solution but I'd guess the problem is in "the condition that all units are inside it".

First I think you need to be a bit more clear perhaps copy the code you have to fulfill that condition. I say this because I've so happen to have successfully landed an helicopter however without any conditions. However I must also say I've also already had helis not landing so I'm not entirely sure wether or not it's just AI free thinking or something conflicting with their behaviour.

In my experience getting choppers to land using triggers and waypoints only works 50% of the time. If the chopper comes under contact it might decide to ignore all waypoints until contact is dead. With that said, this should not be a problem when you're not expecting contact.

It might be easier to use BIS_fnc_unitCapture and BIS_fnc_unitPlay for scripted helicopter flights.

If you need dynamic pickups and landings at random locations and must therefore use waypoints, maybe it would help to use 

{this disableAI _x} forEach ["TARGET","AUTOTARGET","FSM","AUTOCOMBAT"]

on the pilot to prevent combat behavior.

If the first waypoint is "attached to" (I am assuming this means synchronized with) a trigger, then this trigger will need to have fired for the waypoint to complete. Is this intentional? If not, the helo is probably getting stuck here.

Also, there is no need to attach your second waypoint to the helipad. AI helicopter pilots will automatically land at any helipad, visible or not, that is nearby.

If the first waypoint is "attached to" (I am assuming this means synchronized with) a trigger, then this trigger will need to have fired for the waypoint to complete. Is this intentional? If not, the helo is probably getting stuck here.

Also, there is no need to attach your second waypoint to the helipad. AI helicopter pilots will automatically land at any helipad, visible or not, that is nearby.

Yes, I'm sure the trigger is being fired, it has some other associated properties that also fire properly. The thing is I want it to land at this specific helipad that I placed.

Im not clear on exactly what you were attempting to do.

Did you want the heli to take the player across the water?

Nice but we need to explain how to make this work.

Basically I am opposed to  adding any "names" to any objects, like "me", "heli" ..

for example the statement   "me in heli" you can easily change to

count crew (vehicle this) == count (thisList + units (group player))

Anyway there are your mission  back where you can find out  how it works

Im not clear on exactly what you were attempting to do.

Did you want the heli to take the player across the water?

I intended it to do exactly what you showed in the video; what did you change to make it work? It didn't do any of that when I tested it.

Nice but we need to explain how to make this work.

Basically I am opposed to adding any "names" to any objects, like "me", "heli" ..

for example the statement "me in heli" you can easy change to

count crew (vehicle this) == count (thisList + units (group player))
Anyway there are your mission back where you can find out how it works
First of all, that's just placeholder purely for example. Secondly, I dont know how you can call your change "easy", when it's three times as long. Not to mention that it only works if you put it in the trigger's Activation, whearas mine works everywhere else.

There's no reason to be opposed to giving objects variable names, especially if you dont intend to make your mission dynamic. In my full mission this script will only ever apply to a specific helicopter which exists at the start, so using variable names is fine. And imo, ignoring and not using them is simply poor practice.

You are wrong. Way points statements/activation are working in almost the same way like normal triggers are.

You have this which is the vehicle group leader and thislist for whole group.

Extra global variables in mission are fine until you have to add some extra scripts/systems to your mission.

Is easy because you are using game engine commands without any kind of variables that could collide with others

Anyway get the mission and check it out i have add a trigger to activate the first way point as you wish.

Link is the same, updated.

Go ahead and look at what I did. 

You will likely need to change it up a bit for your mission but it will lead you down the right path.

Look at the condition in the move waypoint after the landing. You will likely need to change that up a bit for your mission as well.

This method should work all the time though.

Thank you, that's extremely helpful! I was able to modify my original mission to work properly using this. Thanks.