L00ncan

STEAM forcing auto updates now YaY

So before i would pause updates so my servers were still compatible and i don't see a sea of RED, so i have smooth sailing and see all GREEN com

patible servers, STEAM forces updates on all of us now making everything RED

i hear it's hit the GTA modding community hardest, but if i update to the latest form of ARMA3 i can no longer play on the servers i want :'( forget breaking point and mods like that also when i can't even play the base game

• Like 1

A: Why the hell does it matter?

B: It's up to modders to make their mods work with the game. Not vice versa. 

C: It's on server owners to update their servers in conjunction with game updates. It won't kill you to wait till they do. Or find one of dozens that are already updated. 

D: Boo hoo. 

• Like 3

When i wait for those servers to go back from Red (incompatible) to Green (compatible), Bohemia releases another Arma3 update making them RED again in a very short space of time, my server list is rendered useless, i'm not the only user who uses STEAM, the servers must now lose alot of player activity now

Of course you're not the only one who uses steam, we all have too  :rolleyes: Again, if sever admins can't update their servers then tough luck, go find a working one or wait :) It's very rare for Bohemia to release multiple main branch updates so quickly. So it sounds like you're on dev branch.

I totally agree with OP and for me it's not limited to A3 but IL-2 as well.

I really don't understand why STEAM disabled the option to opt out on updates? We could do it before why not now???

/KC

We could do it before why not now???

Why not post it at the right place? The automatic updates are steam policy for at least two years now - and have nothing to do with either Arma 3 or Bohemia Interactive.

• Like 1

How are you getting so many updates on stable...

you have to be running Dev which is essentially use at your own risk?

• Like 1

I still don't understand the point of this thread. Arma3 is being updated as it is coming to a major game expansion.The sound engine has been completely overhauled,a 3D editor(something people have wanted for years)is being rolled out,the launcher has changed,a new lighting and water system is coming as well as a new Island,Campaign,Factions...of course there will be updates

And I agree with other posts-must be on Dev to have so many updates. i am on stable and the last update I got was in December. And again-Steam's auto update policy is nothing to do with BI or Arma so it is not really relevant here..

• Like 1

Why not post it at the right place? The automatic updates are steam policy for at least two years now - and have nothing to do with either Arma 3 or Bohemia Interactive.

No need to remind me, I know that BIS has nothing to do with STEAM's polices but wanted to express my opinion in this thread anyway. Maybe this should be in another thread but IMO opinion it is related to A3 since it uses STEAM!

I still don't understand the point of this thread. Arma3 is being updated as it is coming to a major game expansion.The sound engine has been completely overhauled,a 3D editor(something people have wanted for years)is being rolled out,the launcher has changed,a new lighting and water system is coming as well as a new Island,Campaign,Factions...of course there will be updates

And I agree with other posts-must be on Dev to have so many updates. i am on stable and the last update I got was in December. And again-Steam's auto update policy is nothing to do with BI or Arma so it is not really relevant here..

I update A3 as soon as a patch is released and have no problems with that since I know and like it's continued improvements but A3 is not the only game I have and the reason to disable forced updates is this....

A: Some people pay for their DL's and some others are sometimes on slow mobile networks playing and don't want to update until they get home.

B: Some updates can break older mods that are not yet updated or never will.

C: It's about options and having options is a good thing. STEAM already had the option in there so why remove it? The "trend" to force feed updates/OS's on everyone is not always a good thing for everyone even if you like it. This is one of the reason I will not upgrade to Windows 10 since I want to decide myself whats gets installed on my computer.

Maybe you don't care but that doesn't mean everyone that do are morons. It's about freedom and choice!

/KC

A: Some people pay for their DL's and some others are sometimes on slow mobile networks playing and don't want to update until they get home.

B: Some updates can break older mods that are not yet updated or never will.

C: It's about options and having options is a good thing. STEAM already had the option in there so why remove it? The "trend" to force feed updates/OS's on everyone is not always a good thing for everyone even if you like it. This is one of the reason I will not upgrade to Windows 10 since I want to decide myself whats gets installed on my computer.

Maybe you don't care but that doesn't mean everyone that do are morons. It's about freedom and choice!

/KC

No-I actually agree with you about auto updates-I can't stand them. I am constantly rolling back to Arma's legacy branch when updates release as they wreck mods sometimes. All I meant was there will be several updates to Arma as there are a lot of changes coming soon.

And I am on Windows 10-I hate the auto updates there.I spent 3 months without a functioning start menu because of Windows updates. I also lived for a while with a metered internet connection that I used up very quickly.

I totally agree about auto-updates.They suck :)

One workaround that I had for this issue with another MOD heavy simulator was to make a copy of the game directory in the /steamapps/common/ folder and run/MOD the copy.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps

Find app manifest with the correct number.

Make it read-only.

You can also turn disable community content in library Steam settings.