HeroesandvillainsOS

Saving mission in editor only saves the mission.sqm?

Hi everyone. I'm really new to editing missions and spent several hours troubleshooting why a few I was editing (and saving) were missing certain features. I then suddenly realized only the mission.sqm was in the mission's new PBO. None of the init.sqf or any of the other folders transferred over.

Is this intended or am I doing something wrong?

If it is intended, what's the recommended method of getting everything back over to the edited mission's PBO?

I'm not making the original missions from scratch, by the way. I'm taking PBO's I've downloaded that have everything packed right, plop it into the editor to either update or cater to my own use, and am then resaving them with new names. The only way I can figure out how to get everything (init.sqf, description.ext, folders, etc) over when saving in the editor is to save the mission with the exact same name as the original. This is obviously less than ideal.

Am I making sense?

This happens if you rename you mission. Then a new folder is created and the mission.sqm is saved into that. However, none of the "external" scripts is copied over as you noticed. Best way is to simply copy them manually.

I really hope 3den will take care of that automatically, can't be too hard.

This happens if you rename you mission. Then a new folder is created and the mission.sqm is saved into that. However, none of the "external" scripts is copied over as you noticed. Best way is to simply copy them manually.

I really hope 3den will take care of that automatically, can't be too hard.

What's the recommended method of copying them over manually? I realize this is probably a really dumb question to people familiar with editing.

When I click on the PBO (to open it so I can paste) and PBO manager opens, when I try to paste the external stuff PBO Manager gives me an error message.

Hey just go to the old folder open it up highlight the file you want and hit control C (copy) then just go to the new mission folder and hit control P (paste). You can highlight all the files in the old folder and copy and paste at once.

Hey just go to the old folder open it up highlight the file you want and hit control C (copy) then just go to the new mission folder and hit control P (paste). You can highlight all the files in the old folder and copy and paste at once.

I can figure out how to copy the original external scripts and stuff. I have those in my original mission's folder in the Documents/ARMA 3 area.

But how do I paste them in my new mission inside the MPMissions folder back in my ARMA directory? Inside MPMissions is only a PBO, which when I try to open it, takes me to PBO Manager. When I try to paste from inside PBO Manager I get an error message.

You save your mission as "user mission" with a new name, copy the scripts into the new folder and afterwards you save the mission as single,  or multiplayer mission.

• Like 1

You save your mission as "user mission" with a new name, copy the scripts into the new folder and afterwards you save the mission as single,  or multiplayer mission.

Bingo! Thanks so much. And where are the user missions located by default?

Hi everyone. I'm really new to editing missions and spent several hours troubleshooting why a few I was editing (and saving) were missing certain features. I then suddenly realized only the mission.sqm was in the mission's new PBO. None of the init.sqf or any of the other folders transferred over.

Is this intended or am I doing something wrong?

If it is intended, what's the recommended method of getting everything back over to the edited mission's PBO?

I'm not making the original missions from scratch, by the way. I'm taking PBO's I've downloaded that have everything packed right, plop it into the editor to either update or cater to my own use, and am then resaving them with new names. The only way I can figure out how to get everything (init.sqf, description.ext, folders, etc) over when saving in the editor is to save the mission with the exact same name as the original. This is obviously less than ideal.

Am I making sense?

The problem arises when you name a user mission like this:

my mission

A simpler approach without the need for copy pasting files in new folder is to save missions like this instead:

my_mission

Notice the underscore between the words?

This way it will keep saving the files inside that folder over and over without the need for you to copy and paste again and again. Just One folder for n amount of saves from editor ;)

As a healthy practice there should never be any space between words when saving missions. Unless ofcourse you are comfortable with ugly names like:

my%20mission.pbo :P

Another tip I wish to share is that when you are running a testing environment in the editor, so when we preview, it gives us an option of "Save and exit" if we need to go back to the editor and not "Abort". What "Save and exit" does is that it creates a save file inside your My Documents>Arma 3>Unsaved>Yourmision folder

I have faced conflicts because of this folder on several occassions. So make it a habit to Alt+Tab out after each time you exit from the preview back into the editor then delete the mission folder from the "Unsaved" folder as per the above mentioned folder path. Similarly, if you have saved a mission as a single player mission .pbo, played a bit of it and saved at one point, but now you want to again edit the mission in the editor, what you do is delete the mission folder from My Documents>Arma 3>Saved>Yourmision folder

Notice the "saved" in the path? That is where the save game of scenarios is kept.  :)

NOTE: These file paths mentioned by me carry just the mission save files. Your actual, hard-earned mission data is under the mission folder in this file path:

My Documents>Arma 3>missions>Yourmision folder. Do not delete it. It will result in you losing all data inside it. 

Final word of advice: 

If you save the mission to a different name, like from My_Mission to something like My_new_Mission, then it will create a new folder in your computer as My_new_Mission.stratis or .altis whatever map it be. That is treated like a new folder with only your mission.sqm, and will need all the files to be copy pasted from the older mission folder. :)

Hope it helps.

t control P (paste)

Ctrl V is paste, not ctrl P

This is something everyone new to the editor does eventually :)  Saw your similar post in the ALiVE forums but was too rushed to explain what was going on!  Armaman did a better explanation than I could have anyway....

• Like 1