Crielaard

Satalite image resolution?

What is a recommended satalite resolution?

At the moment Im working on a 40x40km map, initially with a 1 m/pixel resolution but the satalite texture become unworkably large. Im talking 2Gb for a 7x7 part alone.

What res. is Altis's sat texture for example?

At the moment Im working on a 40x40km map, initially with a 1 m/pixel resolution but the satalite texture become unworkably large. Im talking 2Gb for a 7x7 part alone.

Sat texture on Altis is 30720px. Best is to keep resolution close to 1px/m, but it depends...

I have a 40960x40960 terrain (its a test subject with all sorts of crazy on it :D).

I divided the satellite & surface masks into 4 tiles(a 2x2 grid, you could do a 4x4/6x6/8x8 tile grid to make managing the larger tiles easier).

This way you can edit portions of your masks and only have to reload the appropriate tile(s).

Also in your imaging software I recommend saving your images as a compressed tiff - it saves a lot on disk space - import times are the same vs. uncompressed tiff. 

Tiff can handle much larger sized imagery than png/bmp and a lot more easily too :)

Sat texture on Altis is 30720px. Best is to keep resolution close to 1px/m, but it depends...

Why do I need such a large resolution? What is the satellite texture used for other than backdrop for creating the texture masks?

The below was taken from bushlurker       Post and applies to Flying as well so you need a good image 

Underfoot/Close Range   -----------------------> Mid Range   ----------------> Quite Far away   -------> Very Far Away

Close-up texture (plus clutter) > Sat imagery+middle mco (plus clutter) > Sat imagery + middle mco > Sat imagery only

• Like 1

The below was taken from bushlurker       Post and applies to Flying as well so you need a good image 

Underfoot/Close Range   -----------------------> Mid Range   ----------------> Quite Far away   -------> Very Far Away

Close-up texture (plus clutter) > Sat imagery+middle mco (plus clutter) > Sat imagery + middle mco > Sat imagery only

I see, that explains the terrains I've played on where the helicopter pilots get ugly scenery.  :P

Did you find a solution?

Cheers!

A solution to what? Looks like it got explained...

id like to point out buldozer took a very long time to load for the first time after generating the paa's... stuck on the extruding hills and valleys for over 15 mins... but it eventually worked.

if your working with 40960x40960 or larger sat imagery keep this in mind, don't close buldozer if it says its not responding theres a good chance its still working.