Sign in to follow this  
jw custom

Buldozer freezes when having too many objects

I have many trees/bushes/plants on the terrain and i have to put them on different layers so i can hide some of them when i connect to buldozer so it doesn't freeze.

Is the anyway to "force" buldozer to run with many objects on the terrain?

I tried lower video settings but it doesn't help, it's like there is a limit where buldozer free, until that limit is reached it runs fluidly.

How many objects do you have down ? My BD runs fine (well it takes around 10 minutes to launch) with around 800k objects placed.

How many objects do you have down ? My BD runs fine (well it takes around 10 minutes to launch) with around 800k objects placed.

Ohh i didn't wait that long... waited a few minutes and thought it was frozen :P

I only have 56k, i'll try again and have a little more patience :lol:

Thanks for the help B)

The bigger the terrain and the more objects you place the longer BD takes to load, i usually launch it and make a coffee or have a smoke, it's done by the time i return.

Waited 40 minutes now and TerrainBuilder/Buldozer seems frozen,completely non responding.

Check your BD logs, might shed some light on what's going wrong

The RPT file doesn't help.

BD RPT:

10:02:58 InitSound ...
10:02:58 Error: CoInitilizeEx (XAudio2-1st trial) return 80010106
10:02:58 InitSound - complete
10:02:58 PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
10:02:58 PhysX3 SDK Init ended.
10:02:58 Root "scripts" folder no longer supported, 'scripts\editor.sqs' ignored
10:02:58 Root "scripts" folder no longer supported, 'scripts\editor.sqs' ignored

TB RPT:

Connecting to buldozer...
Warning: Connection Established...
  Creating landscape...
  Texturing surface...
  Creating objects...
  Creating road network...

I have over 1m objects and BD runs fine  - takes at least 5 min to start  for me.

If i do not get the message "placing objects" , or i get a Blue Sky looking screen I abort  BD as I know that is when it hangs and start again  -it normally takes 2 attempts for me to get it to run.

I also tend not to be on the layer that has the most objects as i found if i am my Tree layer it never works

Hope you get it working 

...or i get a Blue Sky looking screen I abort  BD as I know that is when it hangs and start again  -it normally takes 2 attempts for me to get it to run.

Thats what i get, buldozer is lightblue.. no message or anything. Only way to make TB respond is to kill BD in the taskmanager.

I've tried many times but with no luck, i guess i have to live with creating forests on many layers so i can hide them.

Thats what i get, buldozer is lightblue.. no message or anything. Only way to make TB respond is to kill BD in the taskmanager.

Use Alt & Tab, you can then hit the close box in the top right, you know when launching if it will work, mine sometimes takes several launches, if you see the grey box then it'll fail.

Use Alt & Tab, you can then hit the close box in the top right

I can't, everything freezes up within BD/TB

you know when launching if it will work, mine sometimes takes several launches, if you see the grey box then it'll fail.

I have tried many times, everytime i see what looks like blue-ish sky and the "aim-box" in the middle of the screen.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm experiencing the exact same thing. These are my logs:

=====================================================================
== P:\Buldozer.exe
== P:\Buldozer.exe -buldozer -name=Buldozer -window -exThreads=0 -disableSteam -noAsserts -cfg=p:\buldozer.cfg -showScriptErrors -connect=pipe\3705CE,8EDB

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11
Exe timestamp: 2016/10/07 16:49:20
Current time:  2017/04/30 11:48:41

Type: Public
Build: Stable
Version: 1.64.138732

Allocator: Windows
=====================================================================

11:48:41 No product.bin found, using defaults for a core engine.
11:48:41 SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features wont's be accessible!
11:48:41 Splash window: Unable to load config file: dta\splashwindow.bin
11:48:42 Initializing stats manager.
11:48:42 Analytics disabled.
11:48:42 ragdollHitDmgLimit (0.000000) is lower than minimum (0.010000) and it was set to min.
11:48:42 Initializing Steam Manager
11:48:42 String STR_A3_CFGWORLDS_TANOA0 not found
11:48:42 Steam Manager initialized.
11:48:42 
11:48:42 ==== Loaded addons ====
11:48:42 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\bin.pbo - 141205
11:48:42 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\core.pbo - 109319
11:48:42 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\languagecore_f.pbo - 113672
11:48:42 =======================
11:48:42 ============================================================================================= List of mods ===============================================================================================
11:48:42 modsReadOnly = false
11:48:42 safeModsActivated = false
11:48:42 customMods = false
11:48:42 hash = '856FDDB154D9551EBD8995480D09E21261A5A452'
11:48:42 hashShort = '140a5ce8'
11:48:42                                               name |               modDir |    default |               origin |                                     hash | hashShort | fullPath
11:48:42 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11:48:42                                             arma 3 |                   A3 |       true |             REGISTRY | 8a30d74be6242fd97ad0c83ee4d8195a669c876b |  37b37fac | C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3
11:48:42 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================
11:48:42 DX11 - Initializing DX11 engine.
11:48:42 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0 (detected in config).
11:48:42 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0.
11:48:42     - adapter description : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
11:48:42     - adapter vendor ID : 4318
11:48:42     - adapter device ID : 7171
11:48:42     - adapter subsys ID : 2242777155
11:48:42     - adapter revision  : 161
11:48:42     - dedicated video memory : 3221225472
11:48:42     - dedicated system memory : 0
11:48:42     - shared system memory : 1073676288
11:48:42 InitSound ...
11:48:42 InitSound - complete
11:48:43 PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
11:48:43 PhysX3 SDK Init ended.
11:48:43 No world found

If I hide the layer with many objects, everything works.

i have over 2.2million objects on Australia, Buldozer loads fine but it does take approx 8-10 mins to load, sometimes it does look like its frozen but I know to just leave it and eventually it loads

This might have to do with one or two obejcts that make the problem. I had this myself earlier, there was one broken bridge object and the other time wastebins from Arma 3. After i deleted those objects from the map everything worked fine and bulldozer loaded up again. My logfiles did not contain any usefull hints either...

If you have backups of your object-layers it might be worth a try to delete several objects (or hide them) and load up bulldozer until you can single out which object it was. In my case i am doing many different obejct layers and always safing my XCam-Exports, so that i can easily go one step back whenever i am encountering another object that makes bulldozer crash.

From you description about hiding your object layer and everything worked, this sounds pretty like a simillar problem.

21 hours ago, Auss said:

i have over 2.2million objects on Australia, Buldozer loads fine but it does take approx 8-10 mins to load, sometimes it does look like its frozen but I know to just leave it and eventually it loads

I understood that I had to wait, but I also experienced the "cyan screen of death" and then I can wait as much as I want.

17 hours ago, Cosmo_D41 said:

This might have to do with one or two obejcts that make the problem. I had this myself earlier, there was one broken bridge object and the other time wastebins from Arma 3. After i deleted those objects from the map everything worked fine and bulldozer loaded up again. My logfiles did not contain any usefull hints either...

If you have backups of your object-layers it might be worth a try to delete several objects (or hide them) and load up bulldozer until you can single out which object it was. In my case i am doing many different obejct layers and always safing my XCam-Exports, so that i can easily go one step back whenever i am encountering another object that makes bulldozer crash.

From you description about hiding your object layer and everything worked, this sounds pretty like a simillar problem.

The layer that I'm hiding only contains 5 types of stones. I managed to see it *once*, and from then on, nada. Everything works great in the generated map when I load it in EDEN.

Thanks for the inputs BTW :)

When it works in EDEN but not in bulldozer, perhaps your P-Drive ist corrupted? Did you already try to delete and setup the A3-Folder in the P-Drive again?

Yes, no corruption there, what I see in EDEN is generated from the P drive. :)

Alright I managed to fix this problem, I posted this on steam and will also repost it here in case it may be of help to anyone else:

Terrain Editor - Buldozer fails to work if there are many objects

Detailed bug report:
Buldozer works fine and has no issues when there is none or a low amount of objects in the Terrain Editor.
Buldozer freezes when there is allot of objects in the Terrain Editor (In my case above 14000 objects.)
If the objects layer is set to hidden, Buldozer will work.
Running Buldozer in streamed mode will work but not show all the objects. (Tools -> Buldozer (Streamed))

Possible solutions and fixes:

1. Try removing the roads.shp found in data/roads

2. Have the roads not go into any water. (Strange bug that can cause buldozer to freeze at higher object count.)

3. In the P:\scripts folder open editor.sqs and set
~0.1
to a higher value, for example try:
~1.0

What fixed it for me is solution 3.
Credit to Richie who posted here:

Hope this is of help and continued good luck with your map!

On 4/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, XallZall-39dbbb756b7e13ec said:

Alright I managed to fix this problem, I posted this on steam and will also repost it here in case it may be of help to anyone else:

Terrain Editor - Buldozer fails to work if there are many objects

Detailed bug report:
Buldozer works fine and has no issues when there is none or a low amount of objects in the Terrain Editor.
Buldozer freezes when there is allot of objects in the Terrain Editor (In my case above 14000 objects.)
If the objects layer is set to hidden, Buldozer will work.
Running Buldozer in streamed mode will work but not show all the objects. (Tools -> Buldozer (Streamed))

Possible solutions and fixes:

1. Try removing the roads.shp found in data/roads

2. Have the roads not go into any water. (Strange bug that can cause buldozer to freeze at higher object count.)

3. In the P:\scripts folder open editor.sqs and set
~0.1
to a higher value, for example try:
~1.0

What fixed it for me is solution 3.
Credit to Richie who posted here:

Hope this is of help and continued good luck with your map!

If you have a editor.sqs you didnt setup the P drive correct, hence your issues. (you will have more)

Follow a proper guide for setting up P drive https://armadocs.gitlab.io/terrain/01starting/

• Thanks 1