Something along the lines of the virtual arsenal function would certainly be bad-ass. ^^

Actually, plans are made something like that for another script/mod, that allows you to rotate a 3D preview of your gun and more...  ;)

UPDATE:

Added: Weapon - Flashlight (Civilian yellow-black type)

Added: Attachment - Battery (Mainly for the Flashlight, still being worked on for functionality.)

Added: Inventory Icon - Baked Beans

Added: Inventory Icon - Franked Beans

Added: Inventory Icon - Soup Beans

Added: Inventory Icon - Creationz Beans

Improved: Final Design - Craft Menu

Steam Announcement Version Here.

Some photos of the finished design of the Craft Menu:  ;)

026840AC512A341CA1C2315057E25A5338A5C896

@Crafting

- As for the crafted weapons, there is not much progress that has been done with them, yet. However, this may come in later after release, since custom items like cloths and fabrics are currently being made. (Only because there is not much in required items to craft the stuff)

@Base Building

- Currently underway, this will allow the player to move, rotate, lift/lower and place the object. Algorithm planning is currently underway before creating the function.

• Like 2

Hey Ranwer, with regards the flashlight and battery attachment....will this be the only form of illumination in DSS?

A craftable flame torch(fabric and sticks) would be a cool alternative.

Craft menu looks great. :D  

Some pics on the working flashlight. Acts the same way as a normal flashlight attachment but as a battery.  ;)

AD099AF981BF2CA0C3438DE4CBC7B7C3538CC1A5

2E188D89E40E34F6A4F1A18F57BF6614664F8363

The flashlight's Icon and texture is currently a placeholder from the DayZ Mod and will be replaced with better ones. (This is just to showcase what it will look like.)

In addition, a military torch will be made with a red tint on the light. 

EDIT: Also, there are plans to add a couple of Easter eggs throughout the progress of DSS.  ;) (Possibly a blue telephone bo.....shhhh, keep it a secret, you don't wanna tell the rest of it  :ph34r: )

• Like 1

Hey Ranwer, with regards the flashlight and battery attachment....will this be the only form of illumination in DSS?

A craftable flame torch(fabric and sticks) would be a cool alternative.

Craft menu looks great. :D  

A crafted flame torch would be very cool to have for DSS. However, this would mean actually using some sort of attachTo for a particle effect. But no doubt I might whip something up that will do just that.  ;)

Currently, models such as planks and sticks are underway to make crafting stuff more interesting.

so possibly we may have a little go at the weekend :D

Possibly,

I have been kid-testing the features and stumbled on a few exploits. The following exploits that have been fixed last night are:

- Chop Trees (Duplicates wood. Blacklist feature added publicly to remember the fallen trees)

- Melee (Swing animation was playing constantly. Had to add an exitWith argument)

A lot of the code was made more cleaner for less "script lag" as well. (In addition, adding your own items for the craft/action menu is now much more simpler to do)

Items like wooden planks and sticks have been also added to the craft menu in correlation to your chopped wood. (You will also need an axe to chop the planks and sticks)

Also, since Ravage Mod will be using the "Dawn of The Dead" skins, I will begin to work on many textures for the face and body. (As for the night zed, ideas have been made and will PM my team on what they think of them.)

I am also currently looking at the functionality of DayZ SA's code, just to see if it might brainstorm new workarounds for the PGV system.

In regards to the overall completion and release date, this is what's left to do:

Add: Textures - Zed face and body

Add: Quests

Add: Item - Cloth

Add: Item - Cloth (Camo)

Kid-Test: All Code

Publish: Official Trailer of DSS

• Like 3

can you make it so that you can use the weapon flashlight as stand alone flashlight  ? and add battery ?

can you make it so that you can use the weapon flashlight as stand alone flashlight  ? and add battery ?

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but the flashlight uses the pistol slot and the battery as a side attachment at this time.

With regards to completion, it is almost done. The code has been fixed, as well as some of the mission code. In addition, special effects have been made towards when you get hit by a zombie.

Animations for eating and drinking will be tweaked a bit to give it more realism. (I have been looking at the DayZ SA animations, and honestly they look a bit bland...no offence :p )

The zombie code has been given a bit of flavour (as mentioned above). I have added a custom event handler that checks what state the zombie is in. (E.g. Aware, Attacking, etc. This is mainly for the sounds played by it)

i mean that you could (or can not if it is not possible) use the ingame weaponflashlight as a stand alone flashlight like the yellow one you use now,

so that you have the option of finding a weapon flashlight in loot but you don have a weapon to put it on and yet you can use it like in real life as a stand alone flashlight

that would give you some extra flashlight options

• Like 1

i mean that you could (or can not if it is not possible) use the ingame weaponflashlight as a stand alone flashlight like the yellow one you use now,

so that you have the option of finding a weapon flashlight in loot but you don have a weapon to put it on and yet you can use it like in real life as a stand alone flashlight

that would give you some extra flashlight options

Ah, I think I know what you mean now, :)

Since Arma 3's release and the ability to attach stuff on your guns, it is frankly not possible any more to have weapon-mounted flashlights. (Wish they fixed this, as Arma 2 had this ability to do so)

But in any case, I guess the attachment gives a bit more realism.

With regards to the PGV system, I have found out that DayZ SA's engine doesn't run off VBS, but Arma's. (This means that it is possible to do so, but no one in the Arma community has ever achieved this before...and I'd hate it if someone that would read this, would end up creating some thread regarding the same thing I am doing :p )

Anyway, the animations for Eating and Drinking are underway. It's become a slow process as I have to create a prone, crouch and erect stance, while positioning each anim frame. And while that's happening, the mission intro for both Altis and Stratis for the Main Menu, are also being implemented.

And finally, I have been optimising the code for DSS, while I was bored. Here is what has been fixed and added: (Will whip up a changelog once the above is done)

Added: Function - Base Building

Added: Function - Object Spawn

Added: Internalization - More text

Fixed: Melee - Functionality for killing animals.

Fixed: Crafting - Spawns crafted item if you have no space.

Tweaked: Animation - Drink and Eat (Original)

Tweaked: Code - Made neater code, thus less "Script lag".

Tweaked: Mission - Created folder for scripts made by other authors.

Tweaked: Function - "ui_functions.sqf" now part of "compiles.sqf".

Tweaked: Texture - Cans. (Replaced top and bottom with photorealistic texture)

@Base Building

- Universal and currently works for fireplace and tent, this allows you to move and place objects anywhere. It uses the command "forceWalk" to ensure that you cannot run off with it. The only feature it lacks is adjusting the height, but the function already aligns it with the ground.

@Object Spawn

- Separate function that can be called to check if it can add stuff to your inventory. If not, it will spawn the item on the ground. (Works with magazines at this time, this will change and become universal)

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Added: Animation - Drink (Crouched)

Added: Animation - Eat (Erect)

Added: Animation - Sprint (Zed only)

Fixed: Zed Engine - Undefined Variable was actually defined.

Tweaked: Animation - Drink (Erect)

Tweaked: Animation - Eat (Erect)

Tweaked: Code - Check stance for correct animation. (for Eat and Drink functions)

Tweaked: dss_anim.pbo - Re-arranged folders and animations into proper BI format.

@Zed Engine

- The Zed engine has been improving constantly, that more features are being added to it. As listed in the above fixes, the "Undefined Variable" took up some of the work time for my other plans of improvement for DSS, as the ".rpt" never really gave much info on the problem.

Fortunately, it has been fixed, thanks to the command "isNil". Since then, here is what has been added:

- Detection of Awareness (a.k.a. "DoA", it will do nothing unless it notices someone within its sights, not by distance. If that is the case, random zed voices will be played upon its situation)

- Random speed modes (e.g. Sprint, Walk, Crawl, etc.)

- Random zed faces.

- Special FX and SFX when attacked.

@Animations (Eat/Drink)

- Many of the animations have been either tweaked or added in, including the new crouch versions for Eating and Drinking. Unfortunately, the animations are left-handed at the moment, but this may change if DSS takes a big jump towards actual object interaction. (This won't happen until later on after the release)

• Like 3

UPDATE:

Added: Main Menu - Cutscenes for Stratis & Altis.

Added: Mission Code - Quest System.

What's Left:

Add: "Shadow" Zombie. (No longer called Night Zed)

Create: Media - Release Trailer.

Fix: Mission Code - Quest System. (Need to randomize a function once, shouldn't take long)

@Quest System

- Took a while to do, as I had studies. This smart function will generate a location for a crate to spawn at (the crate has loot such as baked beans, weapons, etc). It also creates a task locally (not a waypoint, but a grid reference), as well as FX that lets you know if you acquired a quest.

To find quests, there are currently 7 wrecks with dead characters that spawn throughout Altis (I cannot really say, because that's up to you to find them :p ).

@Shadow Zombie

- Still a bit work to do with them, as I need to perfect some kind of weeping angel that only appears at night. The "Shadow" Zombie will be spawned all throughout Altis, instead of towns, but only during nighttime. (Thus giving the player insecurity of one nearby, wherever he is)

@Release Trailer

- Since this thread has ended up quiet for a while, I have been working hard in Blender for an epic ending of the trailer (and might be used as a replacement for the custom Main Menu missions). The model logo is done, all thats left is the effects, but this won't appear until the official trailer is released soon after Alpha. (Since one has already been made as seen in my first part of the Animation Showcase, I will use that for the release trailer)

• Like 5

Awesome update....really looking forward to being scared witless by that Shadow Zombie... :o

I wish you well for the final push....

p.s. I hope your exams go/went well ;)   

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Added: Shadow Zombie.
Added: Universal Engine. (Details below)
Fixed: Mission - Quest Function.
Overhauled: TUT mission.

What's Left:

- Shadow Zombie SFX. (Just the blink sfx and a jump scare sound when it attacks you)
- Shadow Zombie Textures. (Black is transparent, so It will look more of a nuked, rusty colour)
- Spawning of Shadow Zombies.
- Release Trailer.

@Universal Engine

- The universal engine is more of a switchboard (function is called "DSS_fnc_actionBrain") that checks that the item your removing/adding is a magazine, weapon, etc. The benefits of this, is that you can now add/remove any item defined in the Craft/Action Menu (except structures, Statics and vehicles) from your inventory, rather than Magazines being the old requirement.

In addition, it can be used to fire off an action defined in DSS. (Example below)

[["DSS_Canteen_Filled_F", "Magazine"], ["DSS_Canteen_Empty_F", "Magazine"], "Drink"] spawn DSS_fnc_actionBrain;

//First array is the item being removed, as well as the type of its object, which is a magazine.

//Second array is the same as the first array, but adds the item to the player.

//Drink is the action you want fired off with your Items.

I can say that the following actions are usable with this function, including the TUT mission:

- "Drink" (Normal 'Gulp Gulp' effect. Replenishes thirst.)
- "Drink_Soda" (Like Drink, but for items like CokeCola. Replenishes thirst and hunger)
- "Eat" (Normal eating effect. Replenishes hunger)
- "Eat_Dry" (Crunchy eating effect. Replenishes hunger)
- "Heal" (Like the medikit, turn your stuff into medical stuff. Restores health by 0.5)
- "Refuel" (Refuel a vehicle. Fills it up by a quarter of gas/petrol)
- "Refuel_Fill" (Filling up your Fuel Item at a fuel depot. Restores the item to a full Fuel Can)
- "Repair_Engine" (Repair a vehicle's engine to full health)
- "Repair_Wheel" (Repair a vehicle's wheel to full health. Only one wheel can be repaired per action)

@Shadow Zombie

- Finished, and scared the hell outta me! As promised, it will only move if you look away (moves by 6m per/sec) and will attack you if its close enough and when your not looking.

The only 2 things left of it is the SFX and the textures. As for the SFX, it probably needs a couple of spook sounds and a "Crouw" sound when it moves, like in DW. The textures, though, buggers me as the face textures are forced to RGBA, therefore it cannot be black-ish. So the Zed will look more of a radiated, rusty coloured being. (Texture is shown at the end of my first animation showcase)

The mod's release is nearly there, I can say its within this month till the beginning of October it will be released. But I have been planning the campaign, which will be located on Tanoa, once the DLC comes out. (And I can say that Miller is involved with some conspiracy) ;)

@New Towns

- So I have been messing around with many 3D Builders for arma 3, and ended up creating new towns for Altis. Here are a few shots of them under development. (Work on the other remaining features are underway during this as well)

35kiyhe.jpg

35b60ee.jpg

1zgakht.jpg

24w63h0.jpg

25qbsxe.jpg

33clqoh.jpg

• Like 4

UPDATE:

Added: Shadow Zed - SFX.

Added: Shadow Zed - Textures.

Fixed: Bug - Flashlight error. (forgot to inherit some configs)

Fixed: Bug - Loot doesn't spawn. (Had to adjust floor to a randomization of 5)

What's left:

Add: Modules - Zed & Vehicle spawners. (COS was used as a placeholder)

Create: Release Trailer.

@Shadow Zeds

- Did some better tweaks to the system. Every time you turn away from it, it moves (like the weeping angel). Looking away for more than a second could kill you. With regards to textures and SFX, I have only textured the skin, but randomizes clothing at this time. However, since its not going to scream like a normal zed when it acts like a statue, I have chosen the perfect sounds for the perfect scare when it attacks you. ;)

In addition, after DSS' release, the survival HUD will be fitted with a 'Fear' Gauge (as well as a complete makeover on the rest of the HUD). The 'Fear' gauge will increase if you have been attacked or spotted by any zombie (will work on Bandit detection or suppression). If the gauge reaches its full percentage, you will fall unconscious (or faint) and will wake up after 1-2 minutes.

But a wise, old man once said:

"The Angels are coming for you. Whatever you do...Don't Blink! Don't even blink. Blink, and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you can imagine. Don't look away, Don't turn away, and don't blink!" - 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

@Zed & Vehicle Spawn modules

- Currently, COS was made as a placeholder to test the behaviour of zeds spawning. So since this is the last feature to work on, here is the following modules that will be added:

- "Zed Spawner" (Spawns Zeds in towns)

- "Shadow Spawner" (Spawns Shadow Zeds in towns, ONLY at night)

- "Vehicle Spawner" (Spawns civilian cars and trucks in towns. All wheels will be damaged and other parts will vary upon random chance)

• Like 3

UPDATE:

Status of underway features:

Add: Module - Shadow, Zombie and Vehicle Spawner - 40%

Create: Media - Release Trailer - 78%

@Side Notes

- No side notes at this current time.

• Like 3

UPDATE:

Status of underway features:

Add: Module - Shadow, Zombie and Vehicle Spawner - 40%

Create: Media - Release Trailer - 78%

@Side Notes

- No side notes at this current time.

Nice!

I'm so hyped for the release. :D

Nice!

I'm so hyped for the release. :D

Thanks to the latest breakthrough in a complete new ambient spawner (2x less lag than BangaBob's spawner), I could say its release could be within under 1 and a 1/2 weeks. :D

UPDATE

Added: Module - Ambient Spawner.

Added: In-game Video - Main Menu logo. (Official)

Fixed: Code - Optimized action brain.

What's Left: ;)

Add: Media - Release Trailer.

Side Notes

@Ambient Spawner

- The final feature for the release to work on. The Advanced Zed and Vehicle Spawner (a.k.a. "AZAVS") module spawns zeds, shadow zeds and vehicles at every town you go to. It has fully customizable options, allowing you to enable/disable the spawns.

The following can be customised:

- Spawn Zeds. (Spawns Zeds in towns. Day & Night)

- Spawn Shadow Zeds. (Spawns Zeds in towns at night)

- Spawn Vehicles. (Spawns Vehicles in towns. Day & Night)

- Apply Vehicle Damage. (Applies missing tyres, damaged engine and a random condition of its body)

Later plans are to have a civillian option where you can spawn civilians while they walk around, as well as 2 input boxes for custom init code upon the vehicle's/unit's spawning.

@Main Menu video

- So while I have been making, for what I call now an 'EPIC' trailer, I managed to make a cool Main Menu logo out of the current one I have for the trailer. I cannot show a preview of this yet, however, it will be used to replace the VR Main Menu cutscene, as well as my custom load screen for the mission. But with regards to the release date, it could be a matter of less than 1 and a 1/2 weeks. ;)

• Like 3

Thanks to the latest breakthrough in a complete new ambient spawner (2x less lag than BangaBob's spawner), I could say its release could be within under 1 and a 1/2 weeks. :D

UPDATE

Added: Module - Ambient Spawner.

Added: In-game Video - Main Menu logo. (Official)

Fixed: Code - Optimized action brain.

What's Left: ;)

Add: Media - Release Trailer.

Side Notes

@Ambient Spawner

- The final feature for the release to work on. The Advanced Zed and Vehicle Spawner (a.k.a. "AZAVS") module spawns zeds, shadow zeds and vehicles at every town you go to. It has fully customizable options, allowing you to enable/disable the spawns.

The following can be customised:

- Spawn Zeds. (Spawns Zeds in towns. Day & Night)

- Spawn Shadow Zeds. (Spawns Zeds in towns at night)

- Spawn Vehicles. (Spawns Vehicles in towns. Day & Night)

- Apply Vehicle Damage. (Applies missing tyres, damaged engine and a random condition of its body)

Later plans are to have a civillian option where you can spawn civilians while they walk around, as well as 2 input boxes for custom init code upon the vehicle's/unit's spawning.

@Main Menu video

- So while I have been making, for what I call now an 'EPIC' trailer, I managed to make a cool Main Menu logo out of the current one I have for the trailer. I cannot show a preview of this yet, however, it will be used to replace the VR Main Menu cutscene, as well as my custom load screen for the mission. But with regards to the release date, it could be a matter of less than 1 and a 1/2 weeks. ;)

Awesome, I can't wait to see these zeds !

Any new screenshots incoming? :D

Hey Ranwer....nice to hear we are close to the release of DSS, i have enjoyed reading the progress of the project over the Summer months (yes i know you Ozzies have Summer from December through February, but us normal folk in Europe have just had it :D)

Still find it amazing that the whole project is a one man show, you should be very proud. ;)  

Awesome, I can't wait to see these zeds !

Any new screenshots incoming? :D

Possibly, but the incoming release trailer will cover most of the mod. ;)

Hey Ranwer....nice to hear we are close to the release of DSS, i have enjoyed reading the progress of the project over the Summer months (yes i know you Ozzies have Summer from December through February, but us normal folk in Europe have just had it :D)

Still find it amazing that the whole project is a one man show, you should be very proud. ;)

Haha, thanks! :D

Yeah, I have no clue what's in store for working with BIS in the future (I could imagine its a lot harder, due to their software as VBS2). But I guess its all about skill, practice and devotion to modding. ;)

• Like 2