Sign in to follow this  
El Tyranos

Dedicated servers benchmarks

Hello !

My community would like to upgrade to a dedicated server. Our idea is to run our website + team speak + 1 public server on king of the hill + 1 private server for our own COOP usage. My problem is that I lack of recent benchmarks.

Would this specs be enough ? Have you a dedicated server upon which I can make an idea ?

Xeon 2 x E5504 (8c / 8t 2 GHz+)

16 Gb ECC

2 Tb HDD

or

Xeon 2xE5530 (8c / 16t 2.4 GHz+)

32 Gb

2 Tb HDD

Thanks ! :)

Both of those dedicated servers are extremely slow and very old, I would not recommend you go with either of them. I'd recommend you look at companies that offer E3's, An E3-1270 and up should be more then capable for what you need.

yeah those are old and slow. i see you're in france, you should look at online.net. they have very low prices on decent systems. from their options the e2-1230v3 is best for arma

It kinda depends are what you are trying to accomplish. Both of those servers are fast enough to host all the stated services however you might run into issues running a high traffic server with lots of people joining since the Arma server daemon is basicly only using one core. For coop missions with AI you could create some additional headless clients on those servers to help performance and relieve the primary server daemon. Your missions need to be aware of the headless client though.

In general for Arma servers you want fast CPU cycles above more cores.

The fact is that I hear everywhere of people hosting servers with i7 or i5 CPUs, I'm pretty surprised of you answers guys. Maybe are you talking for big communities servers ? I'm do not wish to host 3 x 100 Slots Wasteland.

If the server can host 1 x KOTH 50 slot + 1 x 50 slots pure PvP (or 1x20 slots COOP instead), that's fine.

This said, thank you for your answer, this is very welcome :)

For the best performance, you need to be looking at the fastest quad cores you can afford to rent.

You need to be looking at a clock speed of 2.66 or higher, ideally looking at 3ghz +

Until very recently we used older xeon X5570's for 50 player coops and they can cope with a lot more than that 2 servers per cpu , so hopefully that gives you a better goal post to aim for.

I have no idea what your community can pool together money wise, but if they can round up say £300 then you may be better buying a second hand "Refurbished" older 1u rack server, and get it co-located, this gives you total control over the box to do with as you wish

Getting dual quad core or even hex core servers that can do the job you want and much more is more than doable this way

We run a 2 x hex core server at the moment.With that we run

2 x 24/7 50 player coop servers

1 x test server

1 x special event server

and we host a coop server for another community

2 x teamspeak servers

Host as part of the 6 network

Host our own arma3sync repo and a hell of a lot more apps on top of that

and we dont utilise all the resources we have, leaving room for at least 1 Headless client

Examples

£239.99 Buy it now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-R410-1U-SERVER-DUAL-XEON-QUAD-CORE-X5550-2-66GHz-32GB-RAM-/201371645692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee2af76fc

£264

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-R410-1U-SERVER-DUAL-XEON-HEX-CORE-X5650-2-66GHz-32GB-RAM-/141695608178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fdb76572

Worth thinking about

Edited by Terox

Thanks for your return Terox. Unfortunately, french network is really bad (I have 100kb/s upload and 1.2mb/s download ..) and get it co-located in a data center would be more expensive than simply rent a server.

:j: