Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

15 dead in indian navy plane crash

From http://www.cnn.com/2002....ex.html

15 dead in Indian navy plane crash

PANJIM, India (CNN) --At least 15 people have been killed after two Indian navy transport planes collided in mid-air over Goa in western India while flying in formation during squadron anniversary celebrations.

The incident occurred near Panjim in western Indian around 10:15 a.m. (12:45 a.m. EDT) when two Russian-built IL-38s collided, squadron leader Bart D'Souza said.

The dead included six crew members on each plane and three civilians on the ground, according to state police in Goa.

The civilians were killed from debris, which fell on the naval base as well as on the construction site.

Prior to Tuesday's accident the 315 Squadron had completed 30,000 accident free hours in 25 years, D'Souza said.

The aircraft had been flying in formation to mark the 25th anniversary of the 315 Squadron based in Goa.

The Russian made IL-38 began production in 1965 with a total of about 60 aircraft built -- several of which were exported to the Indian Navy.

Capable of a maximum speed of 685 kph, there are many derivatives of the propeller driven plane including a mid-air refueller, anti-submarine, anti-ship and reconnaissance variations.

It's somewhat ironic that this would happen while celebrating their 25th anniversary and 30,000 accident-free hours...

A quick search revealed that the Russians used to equip their IL-38s with torpedoes as well as both conventional and nuclear depth charges. That could have been really messy...

Nuclear depth charges?

Ho ho ho! Those crazy Russians.

I was aware they had nuclear torpedos though, that could really ruin your day.

I knew a guy many years ago that used to fly P-3s out of a base on the West Coast.

They had nuclear depth charges which they nicknamed "Buckets of Sunshine" because they would bring a nice, bright light even to the depths of the ocean.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Sep. 30 2002,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I knew a guy many years ago that used to fly P-3s out of a base on the West Coast.

They had nuclear depth charges which they nicknamed "Buckets of Sunshine" because they would bring a nice, bright light even to the depths of the ocean.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds very healthy, i bet it's good for nature too!

Nuclear Depth Charges? Thats insane and pointless. Why do you need a nuke charge to blow away 1 sub?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Oct. 01 2002,13:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nuclear Depth Charges? Thats insane and pointless. Why do you need a nuke charge to blow away 1 sub?<span id='postcolor'>

For deep-diving subs. The immense water pressure prevents conventional explosives from being effective.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nuclear depth charges?

Ho ho ho! Those crazy Russians.

I was aware they had nuclear torpedos though, that could really ruin your day.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, those crazy Russians... I'm sure the U.S. Navy didn't carry nuclear depth charges and torpedoes... wink.gif

I asked some of my friends who are ex Royal Navy in the bar tonight. Apparantly, we (UK) carried nuclear depth charges as well. Except we also dropped them from helicopter!

We also had (RAF), Bloodhound SAM systems in Scotland. Proximity fused atomic warheads! Designed to take out an entire bomber formation, they have now beeen withdrawn from service.....

Don't forget the US had nuclear tipped air - air rockets, and the Russians used to dig canals with nuclear warheads back in the old days. Madness!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Oct. 01 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

...and the Russians used to dig canals with nuclear warheads back in the old days. Madness!

</Snip><span id='postcolor'>

I know the digging of canals and harbors was being considered by both the Russians and the Americans, but this was never implemented.

What worries me personally is those man portable "briefcase nukes" that went missing as the USSR was dismantled

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Oct. 01 2002,22:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nuclear Depth Charges? Thats insane and pointless. Why do you need a nuke charge to blow away 1 sub?<span id='postcolor'>

Gets rid of that pesky need to aim biggrin.gif And besides .... if your blowing up a typhoon with 40 ish nukes on board ..... seems reasonable, if push would have come to shove that is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Don't forget the US had nuclear tipped air - air rockets, and the Russians used to dig canals with nuclear warheads back in the old days. Madness!

<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, the AIR-2 Genie. I think the US also had nuclear SAM's, Nike missiles or something like that. Cold war madness...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And besides .... if your blowing up a typhoon with 40 ish nukes on board ..... seems reasonable, if push would have come to shove that is.<span id='postcolor'>

More like 200 ish wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What worries me personally is those man portable "briefcase nukes" that went missing as the USSR was dismantled<span id='postcolor'>

I've heard about that "briefcase nukes" before, but i'm not sure they are possible. Between 5 and 10 kg of plutonium, plus enough high explossives to make a supercritical mass, plus all the electronic gear, batteries and whatnot, all in a briefcase? More like a huge sports bag, i think...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Oct. 02 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard about that "briefcase nukes" before, but i'm not sure they are possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, Boris Yeltsin admitted to them being unnacounted for, so why would he have made that up?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Oct. 02 2002,16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Oct. 02 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard about that "briefcase nukes" before, but i'm not sure they are possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, Boris Yeltsin admitted to them being unnacounted for, so why would he have made that up?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know. Too much Starka that day, maybe? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Oct. 02 2002,16:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Oct. 02 2002,16wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Oct. 02 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard about that "briefcase nukes" before, but i'm not sure they are possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, Boris Yeltsin admitted to them being unnacounted for, so why would he have made that up?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know. Too much Starka that day, maybe?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

To spread the paranoia... smile.gif

The nukes were actually backpack nukes, not briefcase nukes. The weight was supposed to be in the 60-100 pound range -- that makes it a much larger package.

And the claims were made by the now deceased Gen. Alexander Lebed, who ran against Yeltzin. The U.S. never believed him.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 02 2002,17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The nukes were actually backpack nukes, not briefcase nukes. The weight was supposed to be in the 60-100 pound range -- that makes it a much larger package.

And the claims were made by the now deceased Gen. Alexander Lebed, who ran against Yeltzin. The U.S. never believed him.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, that's more likely. I was thinking about the kind of briefcase a bussiness man carries, not a backpack.