Sign in to follow this  
drill

d_finger: "Point a finger at" addon

I would like to introduce a little addon which someone might find useful - d_finger addon.

d_finger provides visual and easy to use way for infantry to point out a direction to each other.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnydmznba30chhk/d_finger_v3.zip?dl=0

The default keybinding for "point a finger at" action is Ctrl+~ . When a player activates this action a circle indicator would appear at center of the screen. This indicator would be seen by any other man who is close enough to the player (<= 3 meters) for 2 seconds. This way players could indicate particular point at screen to each other in easy and direct manner.

The feature works only for players which are not in a vehicle (except static vehicles, stationary HMG for example).

2 screenshots which illustrate the feature:

Addon supports UAC configuration addon (but doesn't require it) and CBA keybinding (doesn't require either), and currently it is the only way to change the keybinging for the action and color and transparency of the indicator.

Sorry for my English. I see that the text came out clumsy but I cannot write it better right now.

Edited by Drill
Link to newer version of the addon

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to such an ability ingame. I'm one of those idiot types that needs to visually be pointed in the right direction sometimes, lol. Guess I'm getting old and senile. :P Looking forward to testing it out, thanks!

like the idea of it, but I would like to see it compatible with cba

like the idea of it, but I would like to see it compatible with cba

I Agree.

How do change keybined with UAC configuration addon? I not have scripting skill.

Anyway, really cool addon, I want to play in this. but, The Japanese keyboard is doesn't using ~ key in game :(

Edited by classic

I'll try to add support for CBA keybindings later.

To use UAC for configuration, it's enough to activate d_uac.pbo addon (link to download: https://github.com/TheDrill/uniaddonconf/raw/master/pbos/d_uac.pbo). There would appear "Configure addons" button in "interrupt" menu then (the menu which shows up when "escape" pressed in-game). The button would show dialog window where one may change parameters of the addon.

I'll try to add support for CBA keybindings later.

To use UAC for configuration, it's enough to activate d_uac.pbo addon (link to download: https://github.com/TheDrill/uniaddonconf/raw/master/pbos/d_uac.pbo). There would appear "Configure addons" button in "interrupt" menu then (the menu which shows up when "escape" pressed in-game). The button would show dialog window where one may change parameters of the addon.

Thanks. It's works!

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/541893118072694397/B24C9778C0912A89ED81D57BB35526EC2AA8EDD9/ (188 kB)

Really epic mod:cool:

Edited by classic
typo

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Drill;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

This sounds like a neat concept, is there a screenshot of video available showing it off?

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hello Drill, this is great! We were talking about how it would' ve been usefull to be able to point your finger at a direction with my unit the other day since we are trying to play without the compass and here comes this.

If you could make a version using the CBA keybindings it would be great, i haven' t tried UAC yet and it looks good but we have many new guys and it' s hard enough to explain them all the different things to configure and adding one more layer will only make the matter worse, but i' ll give UAC a go and if it' s simple enough to use i' ll force the new guys to stop whining and to start learning how to configure a few things.:)

I've finally made the next version of the addon which introduce CBA keybinding support. Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnydmznba30chhk/d_finger_v3.zip?dl=0

Thus addon might work with UAC configurator (the most priority mode, keybinding and color, transparency of indicator might be changed), with CBA keybinding (only keybinding might be changed) or without any of them - then default keybinding (Ctrl + ~) is used without possibility to change it.

Updated the link for the addon on the first page and added some illustrative screenshots.

Edited by Drill

Thanks for the update Drill, and for letting us edit your work. I have personally changed overall presentation to something more subtle. The keybind is also changed to ALT Tilde. I'll drop my edit in here.

NOTE: This pbo does not have CBA support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9i1db0z7h6adro/%40d_finger.rar?dl=0

Video clip:http://a.pomf.se/lpakrc.webm

ante185: The mauser is from the Iron Front game, ported over to Arma 3 using the IFA3 mod. :)

ante185: The mauser is from the Iron Front game, ported over to Arma 3 using the IFA3 mod. :)

thank you

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Gonna test right away, such useful feature for squad leaders!

I like the idea, but there are two things I would change.

The big circle in the hud is not necessary and immersion breaking and I would like to point my finger, when I press the key once and take my finger down, when I press the key a second time. That would give others more time to look at me and follow the direction I am pointing at.

Except that, it is very nice.

Thank you very much for the update and the CBA support Drill.

Since my previous post i' ve tried UAC and it is really simple to use so i' ve added it to my modset and explained to the new guys in our group how to use it. We haven' t ran into any problems and it actually made configuring mod keybinds for them much more intuitive, UAC deserves to be a more well known mod.

Still, i believe that the CBA version will allow the finger pointing mod to become more widespread as i believe that some people might have been put off by the UAC requirement.

To come back to the finger mod, what do you think about making it so we have to be less than 5 meters away from the guy pointing his finger to see it rather than 3? In the Arma context is is sometimes hard to precisely evaluate how far away we are from the guys in our team, and through playing with this mod we found out that quite often one of my guys would tell me "come near me i' ll point my finger at it", i would move very close to my teammate to what i thought was about 2 meters, tell him " i' m behind you point it to me" only to find out that apparently i wasn' t close enough and had to move in even closer. In my opinion setting this to 5 meters would be more practical while still remaining believable in the context of Arma.

All in all we love the mod, we set our color to grey and color opaque to 10 percent so the effect is subtle and doesn' t break the visual immersion too much and we love it!

I'm afraid to overpower the feature since finger pointing is quite precise in addon now. I'm not sure what distance should be and I'll keep it as it is for now (3 meters). You might change the distance by yourself if you like in settings.hpp file, parameter MAX_DIST_TO_OTHER_PLAYERS.

kecharles28, Foxhound, thank you!

I'm afraid to overpower the feature since finger pointing is quite precise in addon now. I'm not sure what distance should be and I'll keep it as it is for now (3 meters). You might change the distance by yourself if you like in settings.hpp file, parameter MAX_DIST_TO_OTHER_PLAYERS.

kecharles28, Foxhound, thank you!

Hi- I love the mod , its really great.

Will you consider making the circle smaller for more accurate pointing?

and also 1+ for the CBA keys idea.

Finger-pointing is already quite precise on my opinion (maybe even a bit too precise). I'm afraid increasing its precision any further would make it overpowered, "unrealistic".

You may try to make the circle smaller by yourself if you like. It could be regulated in file "fn__OEF_renderer.sqf", parameter BASE_SIZE. Or, alternatively, by editing the circle texture file "fp_icon.paa".