Sign in to follow this  
Sam Samson

The culture that rules the world!

America also gave the world the lightbulb, Coca-Cola (how many other soft drinks can be bought in almost every country?), Mcdonalds (cheap, tasty food available almost anywhere in the world), nuclear power, space travel, and electricity (kind of).

I could also argue:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1876 - - Bell files his patent application. First telephone patent (U.S. No. 174,465) allowed and issued to Bell on March 7th. - - March 10th, Bell speaks the first complete sentence transmitted by variable resistance transmitter ... "Mr. Watson, come here. I want you!" <span id='postcolor'>

The 1869 patent was for that of an idea, his first approved patent came in 1876 with a working two way telephone.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (billytran @ Sep. 30 2002,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">America also gave the world the lightbulb, Coca-Cola (how many other soft drinks can be bought in almost every country?), Mcdonalds (cheap, tasty food available almost anywhere in the world), nuclear power, space travel, and electricity (kind of).<span id='postcolor'>

First Human Being in Space: Yuri Gagarin

As well as other things like longest duration spaceflight, longest lasting space station and a slew of other records for space flight also held by Russia/USSR.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What did Canada provide the world with?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Canadians smile.gif

Swedish inventions:

Tetra Pak

The Separator and the Milking Machine

The Ball Bearing

The Propeller

The Zipper

The Safety Match

Dynamite

The Turbo Engine for Cars

The Adjustable Spanner

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What did Canada provide the world with?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The immense patience required in dealing with her neighbours biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 30 2002,23:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,23wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What did Canada provide the world with?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The immense patience required in dealing with her neighbours biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

*Gasp!*

What did Greenland ever do to YOU!!! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The immense patience required in dealing with her neighbours

<span id='postcolor'>

It was not easy, but you helped us alot. tounge.gif

this thread is hilarious biggrin.gif

I found it also has a very high moderator density. wow.gif

I still maintain: italy rules.

ferrari rules the formula 1.

and russia derived a working economic system by emulating southern italian traditions. (starts with m****).

also: don't overlook the first war on terror. it was waged by italians during their first days as a republic!

well, at that time they were still romans, to be precise.

back around 75 BC george w pompeius fought off the mediterranean pirates terrorizing the mediterranean peoples. he got the most far-reaching mandate anyone ever got under the republic, "to wage war by all means on all seas this side of the pillars of hercules (gibraltar)."

actually his name was gnaeus pompeius. (so what.)

he fought and killed their leaders. then he settled the ordinary pirates, the ones with lower leadership quotient, in an area called cilicia. they became pompeius' supporters in his later feuds with caesar.

have I now introduced a political element into the discussion?

(shame on me.)

let's return to the REALLY important stuff:

hey! football, soccer: italy employs some of the best players in the world: i.e. ronaldo, ...

and champion league clubs like ac milano, etc.

parties?

the berlin love parade is nothing more than an old fashioned italian bacchanal. (bacchanals and saturnalia (christopher street parades) got banned by the senate though.)

I had pasta today. (noodles to y'all from over there. smile.gif did I tell you I'm in europe?)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sam Samson @ Sep. 30 2002,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">let's return to the REALLY important stuff:

hey! football, soccer: italy employs some of the best players in the world: i.e. ronaldo, ...

and champion league clubs like ac milano, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

When was the last time AC Milan won the champions league? I loathe them but Manchester United are I believe technically the biggest club in the world when taking into account turnover and profits from all sales worldwide smile.gif

Nope, Ronaldo is no longer in Italy, he is now in Real Madrid with Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 30 2002,21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (billytran @ Sep. 30 2002,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">America also gave the world the lightbulb, Coca-Cola (how many other soft drinks can be bought in almost every country?), Mcdonalds (cheap, tasty food available almost anywhere in the world), nuclear power, space travel, and electricity (kind of).<span id='postcolor'>

First Human Being in Space: Yuri Gagarin

As well as other things like longest duration spaceflight, longest lasting space station and a slew of other records for space flight also held by Russia/USSR.<span id='postcolor'>

d'oh!

I should've put "to the moon"

Greece invented the following:

Maths

Physics

Foundations for Chemistry

Philosophy

Democracy

Continent-spanning empires

City States

Wine

Ouzo

Great Food

Theatre plays

Literature

Sewers

Phalanx

That's all that I know on top of my head smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 01 2002,00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's all that I know on top of my head smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

homosexuality maybe?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 01 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 01 2002,00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's all that I know on top of my head smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

homosexuality maybe?<span id='postcolor'>

Bollox icon4.gif

According to the documentary series "Sex B.C." It's true, Greek men had wives for one thing and very close men for another, initially it was about having a brother soldier so that they would love each other so much they would fight better on the battlefield to protect each other, years later it developed into full on funky man love smile.gif

The Romans put a stop to all that though, miserable sods smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 01 2002,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the documentary series "Sex B.C." It's true, Greek men had wives for one thing and very close men for another, initially it was about having a brother soldier so that they would love each other so much they would fight better on the battlefield to protect each other, years later it developed into full on funky man love smile.gif

The Romans put a stop to all that though, miserable sods smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Bollox icon4.gif

Greece didn't invent homosexuality, the Persians didn't, nor the Egyptians or the Maori.

Homosexuality is natural, you can observe it on bongo-bongo apes, chimps or gorilla's, it has nothing to do with culture, its a nature thing.

So there tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 01 2002,01:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Homosexuality is natural, you can observe it on bongo-bongo apes, chimps or gorilla's, it has nothing to do with culture, its a nature thing.

So there tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I would looooove to hear DOR's opinion on this matter.

I think there have been ass ticklers for as long as we've had a conception of what to do with it.

The greeks just perfected it biggrin.gif

This thread has took a turn for the worse. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would looooove to hear DOR's opinion on this matter.<span id='postcolor'>

I doubt that. smile.gif

*shivers*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Oct. 01 2002,00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maths

Physics<span id='postcolor'>

Egyptians were great at maths and so were Indians. so greeks can't have claim to that wink.gif

and I give credit for physics to Sir Issac Newton and Galileo. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the documentary series "Sex B.C." It's true, Greek men had wives for one thing and very close men for another, initially it was about having a brother soldier so that they would love each other so much they would fight better on the battlefield to protect each other<span id='postcolor'>

An army of shit stabbers? Yikes! That's one army that I would never enlist in. wow.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Swedish inventions:

Tetra Pak

The Ball Bearing

The Propeller

The Zipper.....................

<span id='postcolor'>

Don't forget the Nobel prize. What about blonde haired, blue eyed women? Or is that more of a German thing? tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Oct. 01 2002,05:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the documentary series "Sex B.C." It's true, Greek men had wives for one thing and very close men for another, initially it was about having a brother soldier so that they would love each other so much they would fight better on the battlefield to protect each other<span id='postcolor'>

An army of shit stabbers? Yikes! That's one army that I would never enlist in.  wow.gif   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, they had an elite regiment of homosexual lovers, who would fight to the death for each other like fanatics. Unfortunately, they ran into a new formation called the phalanx and were slaughtered