Sign in to follow this  
Sam Samson

The culture that rules the world!

you know who REALLY rules the world in cultural terms?

It's not the US. Who would say they want to dress or eat like americans? (although everybody does...)

it is, of all places: Italy!

think:

what suits are the most fashionable?

same goes for shoes, etc.

where do people like to vacation?

food! (first took my wife, when she was still girlfriend, to western sizzlin, then almost exclusively to vito's pizza).

man! they hauled me around bujumbura in central africa. (rwanda, anybody?). and, hey presto, amidst some bombed out ruins (with bodies still in them): a working pizza parlor!

somewhere in the himalayan jungle east of kathmandu: a pizza place!

beat that, mcdonald's. smile.gif

virtually all politicians read niccolo machiavelli's il principe. (even I, though not a pol).

the army uses italian licensed baretta pistols. (m92f)

moosic: the musical terms like adagio, etc, are italian.

the pope lives in italy. (I'm not catholic, but you have to acknowledge that he holds a lot of sway.)

know any other way in which italian culture rules?

(or does yours rule? tell me if I'm wrong about italy).

smile.gif

of course I'd love to brainwash everybody here to think like me. biggrin.gif

but no, I'm not italian.

(actually, I write this hunched over an american keyboard somewhere in europe. wink.gif )

English is quite a cultural power biggrin.gif Even in places like Russia, you will have a hard time getting a job unless you speak English as well as Russian.

Thats my take on it anyways smile.gif

Every country has things that get exported, Italy is no exception nor is it unique in that regard, look carefully and you'll find something of everywhere no matter where you live smile.gif

let's see..

China(communist): cheap shirts and clothings, and products(labor intensive ones)

China(Taiwan): electronical components, usually throu OEM.

Japan: Electronics, Anime

US: Burgers

Germany: nutella tounge.gif BMW, MB and more

France: wines and food

India: curry, budhism, concept of number '0'

Turkey: Ex-Ronin, crossiants

Greece: philosophy, political system. greek systems and movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' tounge.gif

the list goes on and on....so it's hard to say that one is distinctive than another. smile.gif

and there are idiots who claim to be for their 'own people' mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">US: Burgers<span id='postcolor'>

About china dont forget the toys , look at the bottom (Made in China)

US: Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, AH-64D(Hmmm) ,

and many more! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,22:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">internet. let's put that for US too.<span id='postcolor'>

then lets put the web for switzerland (CERN) wink.gif

and don't forget SigSauer! biggrin.gif

since i'm hungry, i'll continue.

Japan: Sushi, wasabi

China: beef with broccoli, sweet and sour sauce, boba

Korea: Kimchi and Bulgogi

Latin America(?): Tacos and Burritos, tequila, argentinian beef, quesadilla, taquitoes.

England: Football

England: Rugby

England: Cricket

England: English tounge.gif

England: BSE biggrin.gif Figured I'd add it before someone else does wink.gif

Denmark: Vikings, Lego, Maersk, Danish (the thing you eat), H.C Andersen, Carlsberg, Tuborg and i have probaly forgot alot of things.

Sweden: Ikea, Volvo , Saab and er....Denoir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">England: Football

England: Rugby

England: Cricket

<span id='postcolor'>

Football (Soccer) = Boring

Rugby = Boring

Cricket = Possibly the most boring game ever, who watches cricket?

Canada: Hockey

Canada: Doughnuts

Canada: Snow

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">where do people like to vacation?<span id='postcolor'>

Florida.

Canada....borrrrrrring......compared to Boobywood, it is tounge.gif

well, at least this is from Canada.... biggrin.gif

where do ppl go for vacation?

California.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Canada....borrrrrrring......compared to Boobywood, it is  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Canada might seem boring, but that's because we are polite enough not to shoot at each other! biggrin.gif

Canada is also home to the invention of:

The Electron Microscope

Insulin

Basketball

and lots of other good things biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Sep. 29 2002,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Football (Soccer) = Boring

Rugby = Boring

Canada: Snow<span id='postcolor'>

LOL you think Football's boring, I think Hockey's boring, horses for courses and all that smile.gif

Which is the most popular sport worldwide? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Germany: nutella tounge.gif  <span id='postcolor'>

I thought that nutella is from ferrero and ferrero is italian. (Yes I am italian lol but I live in canada)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 29 2002,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Sep. 29 2002,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Football (Soccer) = Boring

Rugby = Boring

Canada: Snow<span id='postcolor'>

LOL you think Football's boring, I think Hockey's boring, horses for courses and all that smile.gif

Which is the most popular sport worldwide? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Football certainly isnt boring. But it's not as dast paced or exciting as hockey.

And there is a VERY simple reason why football is so popular:

Totally miniscule price of entry. All you need chunk of flat ground and a ball.

To play hockey, you need ice and equipment. Two things that are in short supply, or extremely expensive, in most third world nations. biggrin.gif

I personally can not stand Hockey, almsot every sport IMO is better, but nothing can beat golf on T.V. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Sep. 30 2002,00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I personally can not stand Hockey, almsot every sport IMO is better, but nothing can beat golf on T.V. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you are joking...

Golf on television is like dentistry without the novocaine! biggrin.gif

Or in the words of Winston Churchill...

'Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.'

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which is the most popular sport worldwide?<span id='postcolor'>

Like Warin said, all you need is a ball and a field. Ice and the money for proper equipment are hard to come by, especially in third world countries where soccer is so popular.

I almost forgot to mention:

Canada: BEER.