Sign in to follow this  
Sam Samson

The culture that rules the world!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows that we all use came from the US<span id='postcolor'>

But Windows suck tounge.gif

Who invented linux? Or unix for that matter?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Sep. 30 2002,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows that we all use came from the US<span id='postcolor'>

Who invented linux? Or unix for that matter?<span id='postcolor'>

aaaah but you still use it!

get a mac then tounge.gif

south park is from the US

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Sep. 30 2002,00wow.gif9)

I personally can not stand Hockey, almsot every sport IMO is better, but nothing can beat golf on T.V.

I hope you are joking...

Golf on television is like dentistry without the novocaine!

Or in the words of Winston Churchill...

'Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.'

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I am joking, I hate golf.

About cricket, I agree that it is boring to watch on TV, but it is great to play! Playing it is waaaaayyyyyy better than watching it go on for hours.....

And about golf, same as cricket, but as long as you dont stick to the rules. My Golf: Get a good Club, a big supply of balls and play how-far-can-you-hit-the-ball.

Oh-ow, this looks awfully a lot like one of those, my country is better than your country threads confused.gif

Oh well.......

Golf is great to play; like you said it's really fun if you don't care about the rules, that's what i always do (i've played golf 3 times in my life already smile.gif )

I once tried to hit a ball as far as possible, i thought i'd never make it to one of the houses that stood a bit further.

When i'd hit the ball i saw my ball flying a lot faster than i thought it would fly. It landed on a table and made a huuuuuuge hole inside that table smile.gif

Till today no one knows who broke that table biggrin.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Sep. 30 2002,16:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh-ow, this looks awfully a lot like one of those, my country is better than your country threads confused.gif

Oh well.......<span id='postcolor'>

Not so far, if it was it wouldn't be open smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">US: the Simpsons. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Belgium: Errrr...... ummm..... well.....fff......er..... gotta go, byeeee!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Sep. 30 2002,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 29 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">US: the Simpsons. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Belgium:  Errrr...... ummm..... well.....fff......er..... gotta go, byeeee!<span id='postcolor'>

Waffles? biggrin.gif

Hey, the US also invented NASCAR and rednecks with 'crack' problems. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Sep. 30 2002,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Sep. 30 2002,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Windows that we all use came from the US<span id='postcolor'>

Who invented linux? Or unix for that matter?<span id='postcolor'>

Windows doesn't suck, at least not XP. Makes life very easy most of the time...

Assault(CAN)... BEER??? SNOW?? we didn't invent this nor are we best at it/ biggrin.gif

Von Neumann... somehow I really like repeating that name.

confused.gif We had this Ukranian/German prof that used to talk about Von Neumann constantly, it was really special. tounge.gif

I think the first OS came from US, not computer.

Poland: Helicopter

carburetor

ball-point pen

dynamo

French people invented :

- chauvinism

- bad will

- class costly food

- french bread

- hypocrisy

and many many many other things smile.gif

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 30 2002,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">French people invented :

- chauvinism

- bad will

- class costly food

- french bread

- hypocrisy

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Dont forget Speed Capitulation.

From zero to Vichy France in just 40 days!!

biggrin.gif

Sorry Ran, I just cant help myself.

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 30 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 30 2002,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">French people invented :

- chauvinism

- bad will

- class costly food

- french bread

- hypocrisy

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you're not wrong ....... smile.gif

Well as it seems to be all about "who discovered" and "who invented" now, i will have to make another contribution smile.gif

Some British Inventions

Anemometer

Mechanical Television

Telephone

Lawn mower

Carbonated water

Cats eye road reflectors

First Electric Light

Umbrella

The Pencil

Rubber Bands

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">French people invented :

- chauvinism

- bad will

- class costly food

- french bread

- hypocrisy

and many many many other things <span id='postcolor'>

Like snooty waiters?

And hairy armpitted women? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Assault(CAN)... BEER??? SNOW?? we didn't invent this nor are we best at it<span id='postcolor'>

Beer? That all depends on taste.

Snow?.....We can use it the best, who else builds igloos? tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Telephone<span id='postcolor'>

It's funny that British, American, and Canadian historians claim that they all invented the telephone.

How could Alexander G. Bell be in three places at once? His home was in Ontario afterall. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 30 2002,20:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 30 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

biggrin.gif

smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you're not wrong ....... smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I am glad you took it in the spirit it was meant in... that being a not so subtle prodding of national identities biggrin.gif

Wasnt Montgolfier a frenchman too?

That's the first balloon flight, if I am not mistaken...

belllg.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A pioneer in the field of telecommunications, Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He moved to Ontario, and then to the United States, settling in Boston, before beginning his career as an inventor. Throughout his life, Bell had been interested in the education of deaf people. This interest lead him to invent the microphone and, in 1876, his "electrical speech machine," which we now call a telephone. News of his invention quickly spread throughout the country, even throughout Europe. By 1878, Bell had set up the first telephone exchange in New Haven, Connecticut. By 1884, long distance connections were made between Boston, Massachusetts and New York City.

<span id='postcolor'>

So basically he was Scottish, thus the credit goes to Scotland, not Britain, not Canada, not America, but Scotland, there's one for Hilly smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was he not Scottish?<span id='postcolor'>

Scottish, English,...... same to me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So basically he was Scottish, thus the credit goes to Scotland, not Britain, not Canada, not America, but Scotland, there's one for Hilly <span id='postcolor'>

Well, he did invent it while he was in the U.S., if he had U.S. citizenship at the time, then the credit goes to the U.S.

Well I'll still claim that one for Hilly, whether he had US citizenship or not he was still Scottish smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I'll still claim that one for Hilly, whether he had US citizenship or not he was still Scottish <span id='postcolor'>

Your opinion.

Just found a very good site......

1869 - - Bell filed a patent application for his telephone.

1870 - - Alexander Graham Bell moves to Canada

1872 - - Bell takes up permanent residence in the United States

1874 - - Bells takes out his first papers for Citizenship in the United States. (He is admitted to citizenship on second papers, November 10, 1882.)

If/when I move to America, I will still be English. If I invented something while living there, I would consider it English as it is my own, though im sure the Americans would be quick to claim my invention as being American smile.gif

LOL this is funny, just found a site called Canada Info where they're claiming Bell biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Canadian Personalities

Below you will find great Canadian personalities. Some famous - and not so famous - Canadians who have made a significant difference to the Canadian way of life.

Bell, Alexander Graham - Inventor

<span id='postcolor'>