Sign in to follow this  
lifetap

RTD Rotorlib

I'm currently trying to get to grips with rotorlib, and have a couple of basic s/w dev questions.

Is there a method within Arma 3 to generate a log file for the RTD rotorlib library? I can see one is available within the standalone rotorlib API.

Also is there anyway to know if the xml file has been correctly parsed by the rotorlib library?

Thanks

Lifetap

Hi Lifelap,

Sorry I have no answer to your questions.

But did you mannage to make a helicopter that actually works with rotorlib? If so, can you share it here or by PM? Most moddera seem to be in the dark on how to do it.

I have modified the xml file, but as of yet have no evidence that the model actually works. I have a suspicion that I have an error that is causing the default flight model to be used. Hence the reason why I asked the question. All I can say for certain is the ground contact points work, as the helo no longer disappears through the runway.

If the ground contact points are working then the AFM is probably working. What do you think isn't working?

Just because the contact points work, does not guarantee that the flight model is working. If I understand RTD correctly, it only uses the components that it correctly parses from the xml file. So its possible to have a working contact model but a faulty engine model.

What concerns me, is when I make significant changes to the control systems within the XML and see no appreciable difference when flying the helicopter. This behaviour always rings alarm bells with me. I'm an engineer, I expect cause and effect.

What helicopter do you modify?

so what is your config/did you make a replacement config or repack the BI A3 pbo?

The config is a heavily modified version of delta-gamers. The .xml is based on BI's RTD_Test_Heli_01.xml

But my query is not concerning the code in either of these files. What I'm interested in is whether any tools exist to a) provide feedback on a successful parse of the .xml and b) to output any data from within RDL, once you launch in game (ie a log file).

Well the first step is to make sure your config (param) is loaded in the first place (ie ingame config browser, config dump, etc)

Next to test if the xml gets loaded, break it on purpose - that should have the game error out.

To test the xml structure, you should probably be able to use any standard xml parser.

For the output you probably would need the internal dev version from BI and maybe even a dev version of RotorLib.

As alternative you could try to dump data via sqf - aside from a few very specific commands requested in the feedback tracker,

one might get fairly far here.

Thanks .kju

I've previously followed the in-game config browser, break the code on purpose, and the standard xml parser routes. All have moved me forward slowly.

I'll give the config dump a go and see if that throws up anything interesting, although I suspect not.

In the xml, there are flags to print debug info e.g.

<CSComponent type="FCSHelicopterAutoTrim100" >
     <YawRateAndSideslipController printDebugInfo="[b]false[/b]">

Are you saying we need BI dev versions to access these outputs. That's a shame.

You can try the diag.exe from the dev branch.

Best you contact Armored_Sheep or DnA via PM.

Also make sure to look in TKOH editing forums on FM modding in general.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

FOUND IT!!

I will post a short tutorial very soon, how to use rotorlib with your mod/port!

Edited by 87th_Neptune
Nullified