Sign in to follow this  
extracrispi

Need help on moving my game and mods from SSD to Hard Drive

My 238GB SSD is getting filled up with ArmA II and III stuff and I would like to move it all to my 3TB Hard Drive without having to uninstall and reinstall everything. I run all my mods on Play WithSix, so some advice on how to get it download and install my mods on the Hard Drive would be great.

Copy and paste all the mods to the HDD, open PwS go to game settings change the mod directory to where you pasted them and run your game with all the mods. it should go and check that directory and recocnize the mods whitout having to redownload them

In PWS options you can click the Arma3 logo on the left to bring up the game options, then settings (with the little white cog) below Arma3, the folders show up on the right.

I keep my mods on SSD, but move the .synq folder to a hard drive since that thing can get pretty massive. (currently have 7gb of mods and the sync folder is 5.5gb, my other pc has 30gb of mods with a 25gb synq folder :eek:).

I've found deleting the .synq folder completely wont break anything, but mod update downloads can be larger and slower since it gets rebuilt. Slight tradeoff if you're really desperate for space.

Thanks for the advice on PWS, but what about the game itself? How I can move it without having to reinstall it?

Sorry to dig this thread up, but it was best match I found relating to my questions. I think I might need to move my Arma3 from my secondary drive (HDD) to my primary (SSD). P: Drive and Arma Tools no longer work for some reason, and they haven't been working for months. Consequently, neither does buldozer. It all happened after one of the updates. So, am I correct to try reinstalling to the primary drive (C:), or is there some other reason why this is happening?

My HDD (secondary) is ~1tb with about 600gb free space, and my SSD (primary) is only 93gb, which has about 25gb free, total after upgrading to Windows 10. So, the other concern is will there be enough room to hold a few mods? All the work models and textures for my own mods will remain on the HDD.

To transfer game:

1) Add new library location for steam games on disk u want transfer game to (You do that in steam program)

It should read like this            (?:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common)

2) Copy game folder ArmA3 to new location on other disk to adress above

3)After copy go to steam>arma3>delete local content

4)restart steam

5)Right click on arma3 on steam and click INSTALL, and point to adress i wrote above (note: i think i will be enough if it says only  ?:\Program Files (x86)\Steam in install dir.)

6) Steam will now register your new arma3 path, and it will say it is discovering existing files, and download few Mbs if it must.

*this wont download entire game, no download required at all 

Do you think this will help with the P: drive and Arma3Tools?

It could fix it, worth a shoot.But im not sure about SSD free space, would be better if you had 5-10 Gb more just in case, but for more space on SSD check if you have hibernation mode available, if yes then disabled it and remove it, this can give you up to 10 Gb more space, check on Internet for guide.

What is the benefit of of this? Don't most people go for the opposite? Transferring TO SSD? I think your FPS will drop.

What is the benefit of of this? Don't most people go for the opposite? Transferring TO SSD? I think your FPS will drop.

I'm not sure if you're talking to the OP or me, but I think FPS drop is insignificant enough to justify either sitch. For OP, it seems to be a matter of arranging much needed storage space by moving files from his SSD to his HDD. For me, it's an attempt to make the P: drive work, and subsequently all the Arma3 Tools, which I think will mean moving A3 from my HDD to my SSD. In both scenarios, I believe the SSD is primary, and the HDD is secondary - I can say that's the case for me at least.

I have done this two times using a combination of both markocro'sway, just move the steamapps\common folder, and update libraries in steam for the game itself. And kbbw123's explaination for the mods (2nd post from top). Also from SSD to HDD after needing more space. FPS and that stuff also was a concern but I could'nt tell the difference. The only thing is that the loading takes noticable longer time. I also copied everything to a external drive for back-up. I have very slow internet connection so I avoid DL'ing everything if I can.

Or copy to new drive and then change the driver letters as needed.