zeealex

ATLAS: Sci-Fi Mod

I think I might need a new pair of pants.

sorry! XD

That´s awesome... by the way, you should add some of the functionalities of TPW HUD scripts -> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-for-Arma-3-SP

They fit well a high tech gear like those you´re modelling, Zee!

Hope to see Femal3 aliens too lol

cheers!

Hmm, that's interesting... I'll see if I can configure it, Thanks! I definitely wanted to add a HUD in at some point.

yup, female aliens are a must! XD

okay so I've realized now why the model looks better in 3ds than ingame... I accidentally flipped the normals of the two fins that look to be absent in the screenshot must've happened when I made it, but I'm actually repairing several other problems with the model now as well, oh my primitive years! XD

Okay so I've fixed the flipped normals (yay!) they look MUCH better ingame now, while I was there I sorted out a few major issues with the model (degenerated faces etc.) and added an RVMAT based on Alex Jessup's design. Along with that, I added another texture to distinguish the team leaders of the blackstar army.

A look at the team leaders:

blackstar_team_leader_by_zeealex-d8dox11.png

A recruitment poster for the insurrection against the Interplanetary Treaty Council.

blackstar_recruitment_poster_by_zeealex-d8dp1km.jpg

To give them some extra background, they disagree with the oppression of the Vulkartai and their forceful removal from their colonies to make way for the fast growing human population, after several peaceful protests fell on deaf ears, the blackstar army was formed as an insurrection against the ICT to aid the Vulkartai in defending their homeworlds and their people...

I want the entire plot to keep you asking questions as to whether your moral siding is right or not, so there will be twists and turns in motives etc, so expect to ask a lot of questions during the game.

More screenshots:

Initial testing of the emissive colour:

2015_01_13_00001_by_zeealex-d8dp3ps.jpg

I have no idea why that one polygon doesn't want to emit here, I think it's possibly a serious model error which I'll need to take a closer look at.

2015_01_13_00003_by_zeealex-d8dp4cd.jpg

doesn't seem to occur here, I actually kind of like the effect it gives XD

Either way, an orange emissive has been added to the eyepieces based on one of Alex Jessup's concepts, showing orange lighting being emitted.

And while I'm here, as I'm sure someone is likely to ask at some point, the identity types have been set for the IPDF and the Blackstars so that they use all races available, so don't be too concerned if upon release one of your guys starts speaking persian; not everyone in the human race speaks English in an american accent ;)

The idea of a full helmet looks great, also if I would be tempted by the idea to choose if having the possibility to remove the mask or not...I can't really tell if I quote or not the idea...

As far as I see they are going to be used on CSAT uniform, which suits perfectly fine with that collar !! I hoped you could do the same for all the units. I don't like to see naked necks on futuristic uniforms/vests ;P

Would you ever consider making a full helmet to go with it?: http://alexjjessup.deviantart.com/art/Special-Forces-390639631

That way it's a full covered system?

I would, the helmet in Alex Jessup's concept looks very similar to an ECH light though, but I would certainly see what I could do about making a full helmet system for them though, even if it deviates from Alex's design.

As far as I see they are going to be used on CSAT uniform, which suits perfectly fine with that collar !! I hoped you could do the same for all the units. I don't like to see naked necks on futuristic uniforms/vests ;P

*whispers* I'm getting to that bit* :P

They'll be added as part of the armour, don't worry :)

just on the thought, it seems very random, but I'm probably going to configure the exoskeleton as a backpack, and see if I can script in some changes it will make to the overall endurance of the wearer, that way if people want to use a load bearing exoskeleton on a medium, there'll be no qualms. Thoughts?

and on that thought, I'm going to see if I can finally get something down for these sentinel troops

just on the thought, it seems very random, but I'm probably going to configure the exoskeleton as a backpack, and see if I can script in some changes it will make to the overall endurance of the wearer, that way if people want to use a load bearing exoskeleton on a medium, there'll be no qualms. Thoughts?

I would see the exoskeleton more like a part of the vest, except an heavy counterpart (with an AT launcher attached on it XD just making my fantasy going, not sure how hard or even possible is that) with a sort-of-backpack for ammo, toolkits, explosives, etc.

Backpack slot is for, well, backpacks. It should be used for equipment helping the unit to carry more things. Exoskeleton vests can be seen as more protective than normal vests, have pounches and "augment" the unit abilities.

Not sure what you mean with "if people want to use a load bearing exoskeleton on a medium, there'll be no qualms"...qualms for what ? I think the only way to understand would be knowing what's shifting on that creative mind of yours :D

Fair diddles!

The original idea was to have soldiers using set exoskeletons based on their vest type, I thought having interchangeable exoskeletons would allow for more versatility butbi can use the backpack functionality for ammo and equipment etc.

There are probably going to be exoskeleton mounted rocket launchers, provided they can be configured properly and chainguns... Cant forget the chaingun.

Finally got something solid down for the sentinels, they look ridiculous, but its an okay design.

My mind is known for being all over the place, i'm dyspraxic so I tend to be here there and everywhere at the best of times :P

Danke Valken!

Okay A few things to add, one is complete, the other two are WIPs,

We have a black IPDF slammer:

107410_2015_01_15_00005_by_zeealex-d8e656p.png

The Hammerhead Nuclear Jet:

hammerhead_fictional_jet_fighter__wip__by_zeealex-d8e62ie.jpg

^ That's only the base.

And the Haymaker double barrelled hybridized chaingun:

haymaker_by_zeealex-d8e1oll.jpg

It's hybridized with a railgun, by the way, and the scope links up with a camera at the front of the gun, which I'm hoping to have an automatic targeting system implemented. the downside of the Haymaker is, it's huge and blocks your view, and you can only carry one belt, so you have to rearm every time you need to reload. so it's handy to arm your sentinels as ammo monkeys.

Everything will make more sense when it's textured :P

bit more done to the hammerhead, just needs some vertical stabs, landing gears, a tail and an interior! :D

f_a_91_hammerhead___flight_states_by_zeealex-d8e6vkw.jpg

The F/A 91 Hammerhead uses two main flying states, a general flight state, with it's engines adjacent to the body, and a takeoff/landing state, with it's engines bowed below the body.

The hammerhead features unique engine vectoring technology, where the engines and their platforms act as the main control surface for the craft, due to the high speeds that the hammerhead reaches, the resulting drag caused by the vectored engine platforms when in a turn slows it down, causing a much smaller resultant turning circle. Giving the pilot a significant advantage in a close range dogfight.

The Hammerhead also features an artificial gravity chamber inside the cockpit, negating the effects of G-forces on the pilot.

...moar !!!!

All those pics are getting me very excited !! This mod really deserves a proper map to show up. It will be great to fly that sweet Hammer (which I suppose from the pic will be a VTOL :D) !!

The Hammerhead also features an artificial gravity chamber inside the cockpit, negating the effects of G-forces on the pilot.

This means it will negate the G-force module effects for who use AGM ?

Love the updates. If we have some Blade Runner, Neo Metropolis type map and environment, it would be an awesome combo.

it'll look a bit weird flying VTOL seeing as the engine blocks are HUGE

hammerhead_vtol_by_zeealex-d8e8lxe.jpg

but it could work :P

I'll see about setting up a map, I'm not clued in with terrain builder though.

it'll look a bit weird flying VTOL seeing as the engine blocks are HUGE

If you shrunk the blocks slightly in length, a VTOL version would look fucking epic

Rather than shrink them (though they might use a wee bit of that), move them so that attachment points are nearer to the nozzle. That could mess with the plane's profile (dunno how long it is), and would certainly make the engines jut forwards (the pivot needs to be located at the plane's center of mass), but it could work. The only problem I see is transition to forward flight, which is gonna be tricky. To get body lift you need to go fast, and unlike with a runway, this needs to happen fast, too. TWR on those things would have to be through the roof, not an entirely unlikely prospect, but keep that in mind. Also, I now think that the body should be more streamlined, akin to lifting body spacecraft designs. Fuselage intakes seem superfluous, and putting weapon bays there would create too much drag, I think.

Also, now that I think of it, the "takeoff/landing configuration" makes little sense. TVC will usually net you enough torque to rotate, and the design looks like the landing gear could only really be on engine bodies. The only thing lowering the engines would do would be putting the center of thrust below center of mass, which is generally undesirable unless you really can't get the pitch-up torque from anywhere else (which would be incredibly odd for a fighter, where you need a lot of control authority for combat). While the TVC system on that particular plane would't work on the ground if the wheels were on engine bodies, it should be able to pitch up the body to get enough lift for takeoff. Dunno about you, but IMO this is way cooler than lowering the engines, and also more realistic. :)

I'm not an aircraft engineer, but I'm somewhat familiar with flight (including spaceflight) physics. I believe this mod would benefit from "hard" SF approach, and ArmA engine would lend itself to it. I don't think you need antigravity "inertial dampers", for instance, and the engine system should actuate in a way that makes sense. A lifting body hypersonic fighter makes sense (especially with a nuclear engine), but remember that landing and takeoff speeds are going to be atrocious. There are ways around it (for example, thrusters for additional lift and control at low speeds), but they need to be considered. Fortunately, nuclear power gives you plenty of realistic options. Also, high angles of attack this thing would fly at mean that the pilot's view would be obscured by the nose (unless there's a screen with a camera to counteract that) and that TVC would have an additional role of keeping the intakes pointed into the airflow.

the mod's BLUFOR side getting a complete redesign... warning you all now ;)

@dragon01, I appreciate the feedback, as above, the hammerhead will also be redesigned, so I'll take what you've said into account.

Thanks!

Zee

I really like the current designs but understand if you want to change art direction. Can't wait for the preview of the new designs! Holds Breath!

well I can keep them in if need be, it's not a major problem... I'm going to probably keep the helmets in, and just recolour them and overhaul the bodies, but the body armour model I've done I feel is a massive improvement over the current model it's more practical, and won't clip very much.

I've got a preview render uploaded if you want to see, or you can wait until it's in game with an RVMAT.

Would love to see it. If you have updated the art direction, perhaps you can have variations instead of removing all your work. Commanders for instance can have a special variant, grunts have similar spec'd gear, and mix matched for guerrilla or special forces.

well, I was thinking of actually having different armour variants of this sentinel class armour, for instance, the recon soldier has a 'ghillie' cloak over the top with high blend camouflage, the heavy has a bulkier version with much more armour, commanders have a heads up display on their helmet(already imported) and a datapad on their arm.

The sentinel class armour is much more modular, I feel like I can do a lot more with it than I could with the original design.

I'd probably use the old gear for the guerrilla/security forces rather than remove it.

seeing as the armour is very nearly done and imported, I'll test it in A3 and take some screenshots. :)