Sign in to follow this  
max1944

MFAA Antialiasing Support (request)

Hello

With the 344.75 driver Nvidia released the new MFAA antialiasing mode, which should offer 4xMSAA quality for the performance cost of 2xMSAA. Is there a chance that we will see this new mode implemented in ArmA3 ?

Highly doubtful, but you never know. If they modified game mechanics on par with technology they'd never catch up. You could always start a feedback tracker ticket on the subject though

very good point, I never could get my ATI settings to override the game settings. Id try it though. worth a shot

Cant you just force it in nvidia control panel?

No, there is no option in the nvidia control panel. It has to be selected through the game options. Here is a list of games supporting MFAA.

You are aware that this feature is only available for the GTX980/970 series? Would be a hell of ressource waste to code such thing for a promille part of the user base! According to Steams monthly user hardware survey, there are 0.21% using a GTX970. GTX980 isn't even listed there.

Edited by SwiftN7
typo

You are aware that this feature is only available for the GTX980/970 series?

Yes, I have a 970.

Would be a hell of ressource waste to code such thing for a promille part of the user base!

It sounds little but other cards are not much better:

GTX 780 Ti 0.43%

GTX 780 0.91%

GTX 680 0.94%

GTX 670 1.02%

970's are selling like crazy. Sure I can't demand it but it would be a nice move from Bohemia and since the game is still in development (DLC's & updates) they could keep it up to date. I also would love to see ArmA3 in 3D Vision but I wouldn't dare to ask that.

Edited by max1944

CMAA is just FXAA on steroids. It's FXAA without such blurring problem. MFAA on the other side has much bigger potential. The thing is that with MFAA, multiple frames are taken into account. Not only this reduces cost, but most importantly, AA become slightly more frame-to-frame coherent. Meaning that it will reduce (not remove though) temporal artifacts you often see. Such as line crawling, jittering, and other things that happen in motion. nVidia had this in plan already with TXAA, which was too resource-heavy, so they cancelled it. MFAA is faster than MSAA, but also reduces those temporal artifacts. So my vote goes to MFAA too. :)

MFAA isnt as good as MSAA by a long shot. TXAA wasn't very good compared to MSAA. All PPAA isnt very good compared to MSAA. If anything you would want DSR.

RV-/ARMA3, 8XAA is best. Cant run that? Get more power. Or even more power and run SGAA and its brothers

Cant run that? Get more power.

At 2560x1600 with everything on Ultra, Ambient Occlusion and a sight range of 12000 a single GTX 970OC/980 will produce about 20 FPS. A second 970OC/980 would rise this to maybe 38 FPS. In the past decade I always had 2-Way SLI but Im refusing to buy three or four graphics cards.

Antialiasing for half the price would be a godsend.

Edited by max1944

Or just up your render resolution in game. That makes the biggest difference in both quality and performance. AA can't beat rendering at a higher res to begin with.

sight range of 12000

Found your problem. I've never had to engage at ranges even close to that. I don't think I could with anything currently in the game. Artillery computer aside of course.

I wanted to say that the game is quite demanding and because of that a more efficient antialiasing mode would be nice. More performance = more sight range (because it makes the game more beautiful).

The time between the past ArmA titels was 3 and 4 years. Arma 3 is just 14 months old. You couldn't care less now but think in advance. There will be a major expansion in late 2015 and until that many people will have a 900 series card.

Edited by max1944

After the Intel HD4000 (which doesn't count for serious ArmA3 gaming) the GTX 970 has become the most popular graphics card on steam. 

After the Intel HD4000 (which doesn't count for serious ArmA3 gaming) the GTX 970 has become the most popular graphics card on steam. 

And link to it http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

And hint for some people. 79,70% has DX11 card and 3,85% of them have GTX970 that means it's the most popular just like max said.

6,17% + M and 980 Ti owners that you can't see of the DX11 owners have GTX 900 series card.

Still easily over 10% have GTX 700 series card so there still are a lot of those too.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/