Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

spawn an airborne heli...crashes before engines up to speed

As seen here, even when it's lifted to 500m, this Huron can't get enough engine power on to prevent a crash.

Does anyone have any cunning ideas as to how I might get around this? Is it simply a case of putting it so high the engine has time to spin up?

Put it on the floor somewhere and spool it up then teleport to where it needs to be.

Or if you are using createVehicle array then use the "fly" parameter (which should do it)

Or if you are using createVehicle array then use the "fly" parameter (which should do it)

I thought that too. It's spawned but the engines are only starting as it spawns. Unless it's 1100m above ground level, it never gets enough power on to prevent a crash.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Put it on the floor somewhere and spool it up then teleport to where it needs to be.

Yep. I think this is the way. Not very elegant, but the best we have so far, I guess.

If you really need it to spawn in the air, you could write a little loop that sets the velocity to [0,0,0] for a few seconds until the engines are pushing enough air to support itself.

Or attach it to an invis object below for a few seconds.

I haven't tried either of those ideas but they might be better for you.

It could prob do with a bug report over on the tracker though if it's not working properly with "fly".

It could prob do with a bug report over on the tracker though if it's not working properly with "fly".

I reckon this is one of those things everyone except me has known about for years and not really had a problem with!

I'm pretty sure it's a game engine limitation that we can't spawn it with engines already running at rated power.

Part of the problem with the Huron in particular is that it takes much longer than other aircraft to get it's engines going. For now, I'm spawning it at 1100m. Sexier solutions will follow later.

Thanks very much for your help. :)

I reckon this is one of those things everyone except me has known about for years and not really had a problem with!

I'm pretty sure it's a game engine limitation that we can't spawn it with engines already running at rated power.

Any specific reason why you're not using the createVehicle array?

With the last parameter set to "FLY" it should spawn airborne with engines on, hovering. You can easily setpos it, like Das said.

Cheers

Felt like I was watching one of those real life crashes caught on video. All's it needed was a little background chatter and "OMGs". I'll show my self out...

^^ what Grumpy & Das Said. either use createVehicle (wiki), or in 'insert unit' in the editor set 'special' to 'flying'. if its set to flying engines will be entirely spooled up...never had an issue with that before; +just tried it in the editor now, works fine

Edited by dr_strangepete

As seen here, even when it's lifted to 500m, this Huron can't get enough engine power on to prevent a crash.

Does anyone have any cunning ideas as to how I might get around this? Is it simply a case of putting it so high the engine has time to spin up?

I've noticed that using BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle can cause crash of dlc choppers since last game update, may be helicopterX have not been defined in these new heli models... solved when i directly spawn them with createVehicle array.

I've noticed that using BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle can cause crash of dlc choppers since last game update, may be helicopterX have not been defined in these new heli models... solved when i directly spawn them with createVehicle array.

I think this might be the problem. I am using the fnc_spawnvehicle.

edit: Confirmed! sim is "helicopterrtd" on the huron

Edited by Tankbuster

can you please share the code you are using? cause i'm testing fnc_spawnvehicle right now and it works fine, and support for helicopterrtd sim is in the function (check the code in the func viewer). I did notice that the pilots take aggressive actions to 'return to formation' at times, but at no point did the chopper spawn with no, or too little power...spawnvehicle is essentially just a front end for createVehicle array

[[(getpos player select 0),(getpos player select 1),25],0,"B_Heli_Transport_03_F",(group player)] call BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle;

Edited by dr_strangepete

can you please share the code you are using? cause i'm testing fnc_spawnvehicle right now and it works fine, and support for helicopterrtd sim is in the function (check the code in the func viewer). I did notice that the pilots take aggressive actions to 'return to formation' at times, but at no point did the chopper spawn with no, or too little power...spawnvehicle is essentially just a front end for createVehicle array

[[(getpos player select 0),(getpos player select 1),25],0,"B_Heli_Transport_03_F",(group player)] call BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle;

I wasn't using bis_fnc_spawnvehicle. I'm using my own copy of it, which doesnt pick up helicopterrtd. But I've changed that now, hopefully it will fix it.