Sign in to follow this  
pd3

So, AI can still see through completely obscuring grass and shoot at the player.

I don't even notice this as being a problem anymore.

So you accept it as a feature? :-)

I don't seem to get shot by AI in grass too much anymore, and neither do I see AI dumping mags when their faces are full of grass.

Whereas in ArmA 2 I was constantly aware of the problem.

Also, what is with the 13 pages of people complaining about AI when this is a gameworld materials issue and not an AI issue? If you change the AI to account for grass, you are only implementing a workaround for a problem that lies with the grass itself.

The most advanced AI is worthless without a proper 3D space that it knows how to inhabit.

Edited by maturin

I don't seem to get shot by AI in grass too much anymore, and neither do I see AI dumping mags when their faces are full of grass.

Whereas in ArmA 2 I was constantly aware of the problem.

Also, what is with the 13 pages of people complaining about AI when this is a gameworld materials issue and not an AI issue? If you change the AI to account for grass, you are only implementing a workaround for a problem that lies with the grass itself.

The most advanced AI is worthless without a proper 3D space that it knows how to inhabit.

IMHO, the smoke and mirrors required to mitigate the problem are not important to me. It's the ability to provide a plausible perception of concealment enough not to break the immersion of the game. The reason there are 13 pages of complaint about the ai it is that regardless of the cause, the manifestation of the problem is the ai being able to pick you off with uncanny robot-like precision (nvm the fact that they are robotic :P).

Cheers :D

Fair enough.

But a refusal to think like a modder and consider the root cause and nuances of the problem lead to massive quantities of virulent bullshit.

Just ask the community about those X-ray vision AI that insta-headshot you from 800m or the soldiers that are out of breath after 100m of running.

(All demonstrably false, by the way.)

...and this is the mistake.

I've been playing since Ofp in this game series. And when I'm prone in the grass and start hearing shots and bullets flying everywhere, I don't have any fucking idea of where is the enemy. And I have a surround system!

The soundscape is too chaotic to detect the enemy position with it, and even with less chaos and only a few enemies, you just can guess the general direction (N,E,S,W). If the enemy is at a decent distance, it's even harder to know where he is. The AI in comparison have a sonar for ears, they gain too much knowledge about player position only through sound. There should be a cap.

I agree with you. Cap or delay in detection. Human use the sound the determine as you said "general direction". This is for me like max ~30 degree in some circumstance.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Shooting the weapon affects this a lot (lets say 10 times), which means that AI sees soldier in grass being two meters tall instead for some short time.:

Does that mean that if i'm laying behind the small hump(which hide me) and i'm shooting the AI actually sees me, i'm 2 meter tall? Or the method above is used only when the AI "see" the target directly?

Okay guys this is a very BIG issue, the ones not noticing this problem I think is because on Stratis and Altis you don't have much tall grass and this problem is so less evident.

But try to fight in Normandy in Iron Front on Arma3 where you have lot of tall grass, or try imagine how this issue would totally be gamebreaking in vietnam mods ...

We concluded that the only way to fight the enemy AI in Normandy right now is to stay away from the grass and try attract them on roads for more fair firefights, this is a big problem for us.

Don't know about the grass of Altis but the really large bamboo looking thingie viewblock definitely works as I just tested it. The long grass in Bornholm however had some problems with all my men sitting deep in a field with only strawgrass in their face, they easily spotted the enemy squad at 200m -and worse, one of them opened fire defying my Hold Fire command effectively ruining the ambush.

Hope they continue to better implement viewblock with real line of sight checks and perhaps expand the boundries abit. The opening up when ordered to hold fire just because they magically knew they were detected issue needs to go..

The grass in bornholm could be a custom model or grass object that isnt properly viewblock defined, that very well may not be the fault of the AI code... then again, it also very well could be..

The grass in bornholm could be a custom model or grass object that isnt properly viewblock defined, that very well may not be the fault of the AI code... then again, it also very well could be..

Was thinking that as well, where in Altis is moderate size grass?

I would rather say that grass models don't matter, rather the surface under them may be possibly, but not necessary, underconfigured.

Does that mean that if i'm laying behind the small hump(which hide me) and i'm shooting the AI actually sees me, i'm 2 meter tall? Or the method above is used only when the AI "see" the target directly?

The view geometry tracking is still in place, the "enlargement" is just for purpose of detection - if the AI is not able to draw a line of sight to the player, it still uses the general direction of the sound and is able to track the player later on :icon_twisted: